Fun fact: The SEC still hasn’t announced its football tiebreakers, and we’re almost 3 weeks away from the start of the season.

Which is kind of absurd, right?

(The only detail we do know (from a report from SaturdayDownSouth’s Matt Hayes) is that it won’t include the CFP playoff poll rankings as the means of determining the conference championship game participants.)
Wouldn't the default be last season's tiebreaker?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Since lil Nicky is gone, Sankey can’t find his ass with both hands.

They should only use “on field” results. Just go down the standings from top down. If nothing changes, (practically impossible) go to “Friday Night Lights” coin flip. NEVER use polls.

Reactions: General Jack
And they lost to Florida. Hence the three way tie at 6-2.
Yeah, but pretty hard to complain we were "robbed" when the other team was ranked higher and smoked us. You get "robbed" when there is some grave injustice, like that damn bowl game with Purdue in Heupel's first year. We weren't "robbed" in 2003.

Yeah, but pretty hard to complain we were "robbed" when the other team was ranked higher and smoked us. You get "robbed" when there is some grave injustice, like that damn bowl game with Purdue in Heupel's first year. We weren't "robbed" in 2003.
My take on it is that we were. We had every bit as much a claim as Georgia and Florida did using the tiebreaks in place before the season started. Then when all the tiebreakers failed to differentiate a winner, the SEC had to scramble late in the season creating the ranking tiebreaker. That essentially selected Georgia, based upon the opinions of sports writers (I believed they used AP).

The point I was making is that it was an epic failure of the SEC to not have in place tie-breaks for all possible contingencies before the season started. We were SEC East co-champions. They could have used other tie-breaks which would have found a way to select either Florida or Tennessee. The robbery was the failure to plan for what was, obviously, a scenario likely to occur at some point. If margin of victory had been an established tie-break, I would not complain.

Reactions: StarRaider
My take on it is that we were. We had every bit as much a claim as Georgia and Florida did using the tiebreaks in place before the season started. Then when all the tiebreakers failed to differentiate a winner, the SEC had to scramble late in the season creating the ranking tiebreaker. That essentially selected Georgia, based upon the opinions of sports writers (I believed they used AP).

The point I was making is that it was an epic failure of the SEC to not have in place tie-breaks for all possible contingencies before the season started. We were SEC East co-champions. They could have used other tie-breaks which would have found a way to select either Florida or Tennessee. The robbery was the failure to plan for what was, obviously, a scenario likely to occur at some point. If margin of victory had been an established tie-break, I would not complain.
(1) There was a tiebreaker still in place…(you know what that was right? Let the other 8 non-UT-UGA-UF-LSU ADs from the other SEC teams vote on a division winner…it was either going to (1) give the exact same result or (2) potentially turn into an absolute sh-tshow; the significant risk of the latter was the reason for the mid-season update)

(2) It was based on the BCS rankings, not the AP rankings.

Last edited:

"We had every bit as much a claim as Florida and Georgia did" is not something I disagree with, but I wouldn't call that a "robbery". A robbery would be like if we were clearly the best team of the 3. We were not, we were all tied and pretty comparable. They had to pick someone. Considering they picked Georgia, that was the one we had the least complaint about, because they beat us that year, soundly and in Neyland.

They are going to copy the NFL's new dumbass kickoff rule, and whoever advances beyond the 30 wins the tiebreaker.....

SIGH!! The wench misunderstood. I explained what a tiebreaker is. And that the SEC hadn't done anything abut it. She took my beautiful deco glass tie off the wall, dropped it on the table and broke it. Seeing my horror and dismay, she then tried to fix it.
View attachment 666172
Thank you Woodsman.

Your posts seem to always find a way to help me realize that I'm not as crazy as I think. I honestly appreciate it!

No joke or blue font.

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
I have to laugh. Basically we’ll figure out some of the rules sometime after we start playing? Definitely won’t be any teams feeling aggrieved by that if there winds up needing to be a tiebreak and they come out on the short end. Tiebreak goes to whichever team the Nielsen ratings like best.

The SEC office in Birmingham just made its tiebreaker decision.
Rule #1: If one of the teams involved is Alabama, Alabama wins the tiebreaker.
Rule #2: If one of the teams involved is not Alabama, Alabama wins the tiebreaker.

what? You were expecting different rules out of Birmingham just because Saban retired?

VN Store

Back