'25 GA OT Josh Petty

Roswell (Ga.) Fellowship Christian School offensive tackle Josh Petty is blossoming into one of the nation’s top 2025 recruits.
Earlier this week, he was tabbed as the No. 18 overall prospect and No. 2 offensive tackle in On3’s initial 2025 rankings. And colleges are beginning to take notice, too.

Petty is now up to eight offers, with Georgia Tech, Tennessee, South Carolina, and North Carolinaamong them. He just finished his high school wrestling season and has yet to visit any campuses, but that will change soon. Petty will trip to Georgia Tech for spring practice next Friday and is also planning a visit to Tennessee soon.

In the midst of his football and wrestling schedules, Petty hasn’t had a ton of time to look into the list of schools interested in him. He typically leaves that to his dad, who he calls ‘a big research guy.’ “I know some about these schools, but not much,” he said. “It’s the very beginning for me.”

Petty’s dad did grow up a Tennessee fan though, so the fact that the Volunteers are interested in him is special. “My dad is a big Tennessee fan, so growing up around him, he instilled that in me,” Petty added. I have been watching Tennessee since I was a kid. I like Tennessee a lot. I loved watching Joshua Dobbs throw the ball when I was a kid. I watched him throw that Hail Mary to beat Georgia and that was exciting.

Tennessee’s atmosphere is electric, and I know everyone knows Rocky Top up there. I am really excited to get up there and see what it is like.”

Petty primarily talks to assistant offensive line coach Kevin Pendleton, but as a 2025 prospect who has to contact coaches himself — instead of the other way around — Petty says there hasn’t been too much communication yet.

“Getting the Tennessee offer meant a lot to me,” he said. “The hard work pays off, and with it being a dream school, there was a lot of emotions for me.”

- Chad Simmons, On3

“My dad is a big Tennessee fan, so growing up around him, he instilled that in me,” Petty told On3’s Chad Simmons on March 28. “I have been watching Tennessee since I was a kid. I like Tennessee a lot. I loved watching Joshua Dobbs throw the ball when I was a kid. I watched him throw that Hail Mary to beat Georgia and that was exciting. Tennessee’s atmosphere is electric, and I know everyone knows Rocky Top up there.”

Petty has already spoken with assistant offensive line coach Kevin Pendleton. Tennessee is one of five programs to already host him for an unofficial visit.

“Getting the Tennessee offer meant a lot to me,” Petty said. “The hard work pays off, and with it being a dream school, there was a lot of emotions for me.”
-On3

Josh Petty cheered on the Vols growing up, and Tennessee should be a significant factor in his recruitment moving forward.

“It was a great visit – probably one of my favorites so far," he told VolReport. "They brought great energy that was impressive."

Although it is early, Petty projects as one of the premier offensive tackles in the 2025 class.
- VolReport

giphy.gif

Tennessee has cast a wide net along the offensive line in the 2025 class to start out. Josh Petty, Jacobe Ward, and Juan Gaston are among several early names they have continued to have positive dialogue with the Vols since August 1st. These names along with several others, are expected to make their way through campus at some point this Fall for a Gameday experience.
-VQ

“Me and the coaches at Tennessee catch up often,” Petty said of this. “We get on the phone at least weekly. Coach Heupel and I are talking often. I speak with Coach Elarbee all the time. Coach KP and Coach Micah (James). We catch up all the time, too. They seem like really good guys.” “I have talked about this with the coaches, but I like the way they run the ball, and then they throw it over the top of the defense,” Petty said on this. ” That is a lot of what we do now at my high school, run the ball well then throw it over the top to one of our guys. So, I really like that aspect of it. I really like the way Coach Elarbee teaches their scheme. I think he is a very helpful coach that can develop you.”
“I have talked about this with the coaches, but I like the way they run the ball, and then they throw it over the top of the defense,” Petty said on this. ” That is a lot of what we do now at my high school, run the ball well then throw it over the top to one of our guys. So, I really like that aspect of it. I really like the way Coach Elarbee teaches their scheme. I think he is a very helpful coach that can develop you.”
“Growing up as a Tennessee fan and getting that offer was crazy, I am not going to lie,” the elite OT prospect. “I remember where I was and everything about it. I remember every word of the conversation. I remember thinking this is crazy to get an offer from my dream school growing. As I got further into my recruitment, I knew I had to work past that and look at each school and know this is a business decision, but earning that offer was special for me.”
“We are trying to go to the Georgia-Tennessee game. I do not have that in stone yet, but I believe that is what me and my parents are working for,” Petty said.
“For my recruitment, I am looking at what kind of degree that school will give me and what that means,” Petty said of this. “I don’t want to go to a school and earn a degree that means nothing. I want to earn a degree that is worth value. I want to go to a school where there is great coaching and a great environment about the places. A team that is self-led and a team that thrives and doesn’t have locker room issues because they want to go out and play and get better.”
-VQ

VN Store

Back