Game Thread: Lady Vols at Mississippi State; Thurs Jan 18 ; 5PM ; SEC Network win 75-64

What you the hell are you talking about. Are you so freakin' dense that you thought my reference to Winner Circle (WC) was about you?
On a day I changed my avatar earlier, yes. But I like it for the next few hours, then I’ll change it back to Jason drinking a Pabst Blue Ribbon.

I've actually been thinking that they're the same person trolling us from opposite directions. Their tactics are similar and they always have to have the last word.

What you the hell are you talking about. Are you so freakin' dense that you thought my reference to Winner Circle (WC) was about you?

Last edited:
I plan on being there to offer her and Shea a welcome back to TBA. I hope Sara or Spear have something special in mind for her as well. GBO.
I do not agree Justine is a quitter. She can in highly touted and she got few minutes. I seen several games last year she would hit1 or 2 3’s and Kellie would jerk her. I have actually noticed several games this year she had done same to Striplin and Pucket but her guards lower head and to drive thru a crowd and do not get pulled. I don’t this teams like each other and do play as a team!

Again, just seeing where the label quitter comes in. One left her team midway through the season and one left after her freshman season. Both are in better places for them, no need for tags.

On a day I changed my avatar earlier, yes. But I like it for the next few hours, then I’ll change it back to Jason drinking a Pabst Blue Ribbon.
On second thought, when you go low, I'll go high.

At least learn something about the image you are appropriating .

That is a portrait of Hank Williams Sr. drawn by Howard Finster, widely regarded as one of America's greatest folk artists:

Howard Finster-Wikipedia

Last edited:
On second thought, when you go low, I'll go high.

At least learn something about the image you are appropriating .

That is a portrait of Hank Williams Sr. drawn by Howard Finster, widely regarded as one of the America's greatest folk artists:

Howard Finster-Wikipedia
Nice pop culture run the last few post.
From First Ladies, Monty Python to folk artist.

Reactions: madtownvol
Perhaps we can have a Winner Circle thread solely commited to provocative comments by WC and arguments against the comments. I can't believe how many threads have full pages dedicated to this. And, it has gotten much more so lately. I'm not faulting anyone involved but let's have a designated place for it for those who want to partake. Hijacking no more please.

He's considered one of the greatest male coaches of all time. He's loved by his players. He's respected by his fans. He's feared by referees, and he's hated by Tennessee. That's the only negative thing I can think against him... If you can find or name a better male coach for female basketball players go ahead... I'll wait

PS,,never said I liked the guy,,,just patterned my coaching style after him

No disagreement about x's & o's and sports psychology so far as recognizing which buttons to push...to a degree. He was ahead of the curve re: offensive schemes.

I don't get the 'feared by referees" comment. Feared by gutless wimps unless you're suggesting that he has so much $$$ pull that refs cater to him fearing they will lose their jobs otherwise. Refs have the ultimate power that coaches don't have...the whistle.

Being hated by Tenn isn't some great accomplishment. A lot of fans admire some highly-successful coaches who have been a thorn in our side and despise some coaches with whom we've had little interaction.

My main gripes with him revolve around his personality. He's self-aggrandizing for no reason other than ego (i.e., not just using it as a recruiting tool). He's profane and vulgar, and it's obvious that it flows naturally from his lips. And that's in public during a national human interest profile. Not hard to imagine how bad he is when the cameras aren't rolling. It's childish, disrespectful, and totally unnecessary.

(I would love for someone with Stewart-like talent to publicly acknowledge that she rejected such a coach's offer the moment he/she started with the casual profanities. And then have the same player dominate contests against the profane coach who couldn't or wouldn't control his potty mouth. I would wager that the fans might have a little less "love" for someone whose lack of self-control harmed the program.)

He's as a phony. The "hold-me-back" routine might have entertained the rubes initially, but it lowered the game to pro rassling level. At least Knight's chair-throwing tantrums seemed like genuine unhinged moments.

He's a whiner when things don't go his way.

He disparages other programs for the same things that happen to his program. Hard to imagine that he actually derided UT for an injury to a UT player given the decimation of his team's roster to injuries in the years since.

He disparages players from other teams for doing what his transfers have done (change schools). He's also disparaged some of his own players for transferring while simultaneously bringing in transfers to his program. First-class hypocrite.

Shall I go on? There's more traits that I don't find particularly role-modelish unless one's ambition is to be a first-class jackanape.

Last edited:
No disagreement about x's & o's and sports psychology so far as recognizing which buttons to push...to a degree. He was ahead of the curve re: offensive schemes.

I don't get the 'feared by referees" comment. Feared by gutless wimps unless you're suggesting that he has so much $$$ pull that refs cater to him fearing they will lose their jobs otherwise. Refs have the ultimate power that coaches don't have...the whistle.

Being hated by Tenn isn't some great accomplishment. A lot of fans admire some highly-successful coaches who have been a thorn in our side and despise some coaches with whom we've had little interaction.

My main gripes with him revolve around his personality. He's self-aggrandizing for no reason other than ego (i.e., not just using it as a recruiting tool). He's profane and vulgar, and it's obvious that it flows naturally from his lips. And that's in public during a national human interest profile. Not hard to imagine how bad he is when the cameras aren't rolling. It's childish, disrespectful, and totally unnecessary.

(I would love for someone with Stewart-like talent to publicly acknowledge that she rejected such a coach's see offer the moment he/she started with the casual profanities. And then have the same player dominate contests against the profane coach who couldn't or wouldn't control his potty mouth. I would wager that the fans might have a little less "love" for someone whose lack of self-control harmed the program.

He's as a phony. The "hold-me-back" routine might have entertained the rubes initially, but it lowered the game to pro rassling level. At least Knight's chair-throwing tantrums seemed like genuine unhinged moments.

He disparages other programs for the same things that happen to his program. Hard to imagine that he actually decided UT for an injury to a UT player given the decimation of his team's roster to injuries in the years since.

Shall I go on? There's so more traits that I don't find particularly role-modelish unless one's ambition is to be a first-class jackanape.
CPS despised him (for reasons listed above among others) so there is also that....

.... He's self-aggrandizing for no reason other than ego ... Not hard to imagine how bad he is when the cameras aren't rolling. It's childish, disrespectful, and totally unnecessary.

Shall I go on? There's so more traits that I don't find particularly role-modelish unless one's ambition is to be a first-class jackanape.
He works the refs hard and consider...have you ever known him to be thrown out?

The same is said of me often in this forum. A forum where only a few know me personally...Narcissistic, self-aggrandizing,etc...Yet those who have met me in person will give you a whole different view of me (Chippo, Earl, Anita, etc)...you know of me in the public eye, not in private or on the court. . . I am anything but what I am here in this forum.

Business Insider did a report on success and narcissistic personalities

CPS despised him (for reasons listed above among others) so there is also that....
as do I for the Maya Moore thing,,,but only they know the real story

Players from org's I coached against often came over to me after games and asked about joining my org///I always has the same answer..."not this year, if you feel that way next year, here is my org's webpage

My song remains the same. Why would refs "fear" him? "Annoyed by" seems more appropriate.
my answer remains the same,,,how many instances can you find where he was ejected,,,even simply T'd once?
I have coached on the court for more than 35 years and overall for 43,,,been ejected once,,,T'd maybe 5 times.

If you work the refs correctly you can say dang near anything to them and you can definitely sway their calling

for instance,,refs hate,, "hey ref",,,but don't hate "Hey John, Mark, Tom"
Knowing that the sweetest sound one can hear, is the sound of your own name" is vital in working refs

"Working" the refs is one thing. Pointing out things you notice is putting a bug in their ear and...who knows?...maybe they actually have been missing some infractions. Or at least they're aware that it's noticeable.

I never got t'd, either, although I did get a warning from one guy who just didn't seem to like me. But I did try to maintain friendly relations with them, get to know them, ask questions, make them comfortable and offer refreshments, thank them, chat beforehand. Made both parties feel better to treat each other like part of the game and not antagonists. And the good ones tried to help players understand what they'd done and how to improve and wanted the kids to enjoy the game.

I'm still not sure why you used the word "fear" re: the ref's attitude toward GA. Did you mean something else, or maybe we're using different definitions?

"Working" the refs is one thing. Pointing out things you notice is putting a bug in their ear and...who knows?...maybe they actually have been missing some infractions. Or at least they're aware that it's noticeable.

I never got t'd, either, although I did get a warning from one guy who just didn't seem to like me. But I did try to maintain friendly relations with them, get to know them, ask questions, make them comfortable and offer refreshments, thank them, chat beforehand. Made both parties feel better to treat each other like part of the game and not antagonists. And the good ones tried to help players understand what they'd done and how to improve and wanted the kids to enjoy the game.

I'm still not sure why you used the word "fear" re: the ref's attitude toward GA. Did you mean something else, or maybe we're using different definitions?
respect is honoring them
but they have to know that you WILL put them in their place too
I am nice and respectful as long as someone is the same way to me
But I can bring up the devil if I have to.
The secret is knowing when to and how far to push it

This is very difficult for coaches like Kellie bc they are more comfortable being loved and their usual defense is passive-aggressive measures....This DOES NOT work with refs...refs respect a coach who can "play the game" not "is the game"

(I would love for someone with Stewart-like talent to publicly acknowledge that she rejected such a coach's offer the moment he/she started with the casual profanities. And then have the same player dominate contests against the profane coach who couldn't or wouldn't control his potty mouth. I would wager that the fans might have a little less "love" for someone whose lack of self-control harmed the program.)

He disparages other programs for the same things that happen to his program. Hard to imagine that he actually derided UT for an injury to a UT player given the decimation of his team's roster to injuries in the years since.

He disparages players from other teams for doing what his transfers have done (change schools). He's also disparaged some of his own players for transferring while simultaneously bringing in transfers to his program. First-class hypocrite.

Shall I go on? There's more traits that I don't find particularly role-modelish unless one's ambition is to be a first-class jackanape.
I guess female refs who run across him in hotel corridors when he is drunk might fear him.

I’m probably going to join the UCONN women’s basketball forum to bring some authenticity to their message board.
Make sure and join both of them. The one I linked is, as I understand it, a break-off from the Boneyard by some former posters there who had one too many run-ins with HuskyNan.

UCONN Women's Basketball

Jim

First, we love Geno. In his early days he was a cocky SOB, but seeing what success he has brought to the university has us following him to where he wants to go. The guy is a genius, his players love him, and although he rubs some people the wrong way, he has brought attention to our sport. He isn't afraid to get controversial, but he is very insightful and isn't afraid to talk about the program and its players.
I thought everyone has heard of the Boneyard. Two forums, the main one for UConn fans (or any other fan of other teams ), and a forum just for fans of other schools. That forum has threads from fans of SC, Stanford, ND, many others including Tennessee. Anyone is welcome to participate.
I started my messsge board days on the Boneyard. Definitely a fun and active place with a lot of knowledgeable fans, but back then they were very nasty to Lady Vol fans, rightfully so lol. I think some eventually developed a soft spot for our dwindling program, but by the time that happened, I was gone lol.

Reactions: LV renaissance
It’s crazy how amazing today has been! These NFL playoff games and college basketball being in full swing at the same time brings great sports vibes!!

I been watching film today and these Lady Vols are bringing it! I saw a post on Twitter showing that Tennessee is 6th in attendance for WBB in the entire country and I believe in upcoming games those numbers will grow larger.

Ain’t no drought on Rocky Top. As multiple Nat’l broadcast game analysts have highlighted the LadyVols brand is alive and well. Winningest WBB program of all-time and counting🍊!

I just read where two teams are bringing buses of fans to Rocky Top and one of them is supposedly the favorite to win it all. Four weeks out they are already gearing up for the showdown.

I think tomorrow’s game day atmosphere will resemble the Kentucky game and have an even larger crowd!

Lets GBO🍊

Reactions: madtownvol and Lucy

VN Store

Back