Game Thread-Tennessee Lady Vols (12-7, 5-2 SEC) @ Georgia Lady Bulldogs (10-10, 1-6 SEC) 2-1-2024, 7:00 PM (EST)

Simply put, she seems to have wised up about substitutions. In her first few years here, she seemed to just make substitutions randomly---with the idea of just giving various players some playing time--and our play regularly deteriorated as numerous players entered and left the floor regularly. Maybe she was analytical about it--but it didn't seem so, as she was inserting players who were not productive on one or both ends. It had the appearance of willy-nilly. This year, she has shortened the rotation--which has been needed for years--and reduced the minutes of those who are not very effective. I'm not sure why it took a veteran coach and staff so long to get a handle on it, frankly. Certainly, getting Key back and playing good minutes as helped us defensively--and we are a team that needs all the defensive help we can get.
I still wanna see this lineup more than once before I can believe that a total change has happened

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Perhaps, it’s possible of course, esp with Spear playing so well lately. Love your optimism WC, it’s enthusiastic tbh. Peace and hope all the best to every team with no injuries, life is short, let’s enjoy all the possibilities and reward the efforts along the way.
Off topic, did you pick up Pappyland?
New book I just finished King Kong Deacon. If you like character driven books with really moving, funny writing this book is for you!

Reactions: chuckiepoo
She's an abrasive personality that many in the game thought would struggle at Georgia. She has a talented recruiting class coming in next year and they'll have to show out in a hurry to get any momentum.
Coach Abe is a bitch and difficult to work with? Put her on the list Danny.

Simply put, she seems to have wised up about substitutions. In her first few years here, she seemed to just make substitutions randomly---with the idea of just giving various players some playing time--and our play regularly deteriorated as numerous players entered and left the floor regularly. Maybe she was analytical about it--but it didn't seem so, as she was inserting players who were not productive on one or both ends. It had the appearance of willy-nilly. This year, she has shortened the rotation--which has been needed for years--and reduced the minutes of those who are not very effective. I'm not sure why it took a veteran coach and staff so long to get a handle on it, frankly. Certainly, getting Key back and playing good minutes as helped us defensively--and we are a team that needs all the defensive help we can get.
To be fair, KJH has rarely had the "ideal lineup" all healthy and available at the same time this season. TK still isn't 100%; though she's generally played much better, there are still matchups and games (Ole Miss) that just aren't for her yet.

As far as replacing Puckett with Wynn, which seems to be everyone's lineup go to, I'm still not convinced. I like Wynn in the Mashack role off the bench. I think both can contribute alot, don't think starting one or the other makes alot of difference. Puckett equals better offense, Wynn equals better defense. Who should play more is probably situational. KJH has said all year she thinks Sara is the best compliment to Rickea bc she was our most reliable outside shooter to loosen things up in the middle. Remember, Jewel struggled from long range early. Now that Jewel has emerged, it might make it easier to play Wynn more and Sara less.

LOL, while we like to give ourselves mega credit around here, I really don't think the coaching staff has just woken up to things we've known all along. Opinions differ, and theirs count, also they see practice and analytics we don't and also know matchups much better than we do. The situation has evolved and will continue to and they adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
To be fair, KJH has rarely had the "ideal lineup" all healthy and available at the same time this season. TK still isn't 100%; though she's generally played much better, there are still matchups and games (Ole Miss) that just aren't for her yet.

As far as replacing Puckett with Wynn, which seems to be everyone's lineup go to, I'm still not convinced. I like Wynn in the Mashack role off the bench. I think both can contribute alot, don't think starting one or the other makes alot of difference. Puckett equals better offense, Wynn equals better defense. Who should play more is probably situational. KJH has said all year she thinks Sara is the best compliment to Rickea bc she was our most reliable outside shooter to loosen things up in the middle. Remember, Jewel struggled from long range early. Now that Jewel has emerged, it might make it easier to play Wynn more and Sara less.

LOL, while we like to give ourselves mega credit around here, I really don't think the coaching staff has just woken up to things we've known all along. Opinions differ, and theirs count, also they see practice and analytics we don't and also know matchups much better than we do. The situation has evolved and will continue to and they adjust accordingly.
I like the lineup that she started against Georgia with Wynn the main sub or sixth man. Then you have Darby and Striplin that can fill in the minutes while other players catch a breather. That is the best we can do and glad to see Tamari could go 26 minutes.

I would field Wynn, or even Jillian for the next change in lineups. Sara is hit or miss offensively,,,when she contributes, she contributes much
When she doesn't equally doesn't

Jill
and Kaiya both give us a more SEC caliber athlete...
Jill will give you what you "expect out of her"and she seemingly is being asked to perform instead of "guided to do. . . You gotta push the right buttons

Pats Dad had it right,,,don't take a quarterhorse to a Derby
A quarterhorse can get work done and can even outrun the thoroughbred for about 50 yards,,,then the odds change as the race goes on.

The test for a team's athleticism is this,,,when when we mirror our team with theirs,, who has the advantage?
Equal skills with plus athleticism = wins the visual matchup
The secret is bettering those skilled players
to get em
or
to keep them

You can respect someone who improves you

I like the lineup that she started against Georgia with Wynn the main sub or sixth man. Then you have Darby and Striplin that can fill in the minutes while other players catch a breather. That is the best we can do and glad to see Tamari could go 26 minutes.

Saying that’s the best we can do is a backhand compliment and if that’s the case it’s just misleading.

Kaiya Wynn is one of the main reasons for Tennessee beating Auburn and Mississippi State on the road.. two teams that have beaten LSU in SEC play.

This board tends to downplay players production when it doesn’t fit the mold they believe is trending.

Kaiya Wynn could indeed start for other P5 teams because they wouldn’t focus on what isn’t but what she is. An exceptional athlete with elite defensive attributes. Her offense isn’t polished but to be fair her strengths are taken away some due to the coaching staff having a priority to look for post players first in the offense that really aren’t even at their best in one on one post situations.

Tennessee has more depth than most SEC teams in the Top 7, but until recently there wasn’t much balance to how they players were utilized and their minutes on the floor.

Saying that’s the best we can do is a backhand compliment and if that’s the case it’s just misleading.

Kaiya Wynn is one of the main reasons for Tennessee beating Auburn and Mississippi State on the road.. two teams that have beaten LSU in SEC play.

This board tends to downplay players production when it doesn’t fit the mold they believe is trending.

Kaiya Wynn could indeed start for other P5 teams because they wouldn’t focus on what isn’t but what she is. An exceptional athlete with elite defensive attributes. Her offense isn’t polished but to be fair her strengths are taken away some due to the coaching staff having a priority to look for post players that really aren’t at best in one on one post situations.

Tennessee has more depth than most SEC teams in the Top 7, but until recently there wasn’t much balance to how they players were utilized and their minutes on the floor.
We got more players I don't know about. cause of the players we have that is our best lineup. I guess you could trade Wynn in for one of the perimeter players, but why would you do that. She is the energy player off the bench. I wouldn't play Darby or even Strip over any of that five that started that day. The roles they played in that game were ideal for the team IMO.

We got more players I don't know about. cause of the players we have that is our best lineup. I guess you could trade Wynn in for one of the perimeter players, but why would you do that. She is the energy player off the bench. I wouldn't play Darby or even Strip over any of that five that started that day. The roles they played in that game were ideal for the team IMO.

You are missing the point. Who in world is saying Wynn should start over Powell?
Wynn doesn’t have to come off the bench to move into the back up point guard position as needed. She can play both on and off the play.

Also, as I’ve said before Jewel Spear is the best ball handler on this team and one of the best in the SEC. A top 5 guard in the SEC. Spear is dominating every SEC defense in her sights right now.

I would start Spear, Powell, Wynn, Rickea, and TK. Jillian, Striplin, Strickland, and Darby off the bench is good enough to rest your starters as needed.

That’s more than the best we can do.

Two players that have averaged double figures scoring off the bench in Sara and Striplin that can come in to matchup against reserves from the opponents.

You are missing the point. Who in world is saying Wynn should start over Powell?
Wynn doesn’t have to come off the bench to move into the back up point guard position as needed. She can play both on and off the play.

Also, as I’ve said before Jewel Spear is the best ball handler on this team and one of the best in the SEC. A top 5 guard in the SEC. Spear is dominating every SEC defense in her sights right now.

I would start Spear, Powell, Wynn, Rickea, and TK. Jillian, Striplin, Strickland, and Darby off the bench is good enough to rest your starters as needed.

Two players that have averaged double figures scoring off the bench in Sara and Striplin that can come in to matchup against reserves from the opponents.
I didn't miss the point seems you must have misunderstood the post. I was talking about the best lineup we could put on the floor and the best way to use the backups. Nothing more was implied so what is all this other your talking about. Then at the bottom of your last post you say the same thing I did so what? Evidently you don't want Puckett to play as a starter.

Reactions: glv98
I didn't miss the point seems you must have misunderstood the post. I was talking about the best lineup we could put on the floor and the best way to use the backups. Nothing more was implied so what is all this other your talking about. Then at the bottom of your last post you say the same thing I did so what?

Yes you missed the point. I’m not saying what you said.. it’s not the best we can do.

It is a lineup that can beat any team in the SEC. A lineup that it should be clear to the staff should be on the floor together to start games. The starting lineup matters. I don’t think I’ve ever heard but one head coach say it doesn’t matter who starts.

So again, I want that starting lineup with this roster and wouldn’t trade it for other rosters in the SEC (not the same as the best we can do).

Jewel Spear, Rickea Jackson, Jasmine Powell, TK, and Wynn that’s gravy on the biscuit! Lets GBO🍊

Enjoy your day I’m about to grind.

Yes you missed the point. I’m not saying what you said.. it’s not the best we can do.

It is a lineup that can beat any team in the SEC. A lineup that it should be clear to the staff should be on the floor together to start games. The starting lineup matters. I don’t think I’ve ever heard but one head coach say it doesn’t matter who starts.

So again, I want that starting lineup with this roster and wouldn’t trade it for other rosters in the SEC (not the same as the best we can do).

Jewel Spear, Rickea Jackson, Jasmine Powell, TK, and Wynn that’s gravy on the biscuit! Lets GBO🍊

Enjoy your day I’m about to grind.
It is the best lineup we can do and that is all I said. Wasn't saying anything about team performance only the best lineup we could put on the floor.

Reactions: glv98 and knoxvol52

not Powell for me,,, Sara
With Kaiya in...If JP is hitting shots she can go combo-guard and become a scorer
Can't do thatwith Sara,,,she cannot run the point

Reactions: brittannica
It is the best lineup we can do and that is all I said. Wasn't saying anything about team performance only the best lineup we could put on the floor.
So I think just to add context you meant
That is the best line up we could do ( I like this lineup a lot) versus That is the best line up we could do ( and it’s too bad we can’t have better). ?

I would field Wynn, or even Jillian for the next change in lineups. Sara is hit or miss offensively,,,when she contributes, she contributes much
When she doesn't equally doesn't
Disagree. Sara contributes alot more than just "hit or miss" offense. Against Georgia, while Jewel and Rickea were going off offensively, Sara had 9 pts, 3 rebs, 4 assists and a steal in 25 mins. Just 1 t.o. Precisely what we needed from that position. Also, even when Sara is not hitting her 3 ball, she's hit enough that every team in the league is going to account for her defensively on the perimeter. That is not true with Kaiya, and is the reason KJH is convinced Sara is the best compliment to Rickea. She stretches the D in a way KW does not.

As I said the other day, if Jewel keeps hitting from deep like she is, that does give the freedom to play Kaiya more. Also, if Sara is struggling to defend, Kaiya is the obvious answer, though her blow by rate is actually not that good. I love Kaiya and think she's improved a ton, but I still think her best role as the Mashak off the bench backing up several positions as needed.
Equal skills with plus athleticism = wins the visual matchup
This is so you. Who else gives an eff about visuals? Unfortunately, our "athletic" players are not quite equal in skills. We tend to swing on a pendulum btw skills and athleticism bc we have so few players who have both. Remember just a few years ago when we cried constantly about a team full of "athletes" with low basketball skills? Until we get more truly elite players, it's plug and play to cover over deficiencies like we're doing now. It's situation and matchup dictated.
not Powell for me,,, Sara
With Kaiya in...If JP is hitting shots she can go combo-guard and become a scorer
Can't do thatwith Sara,,,she cannot run the point
Couldn't disagree more. Why on earth would you have both JP and Kaiya on the floor and play them both out of position? The only possibility where Kaiya plays point and JP plays SG is if we're way ahead in a blowout and want to give Kaiya some experience for future emergencies. In that situation, it's probably best to just rest JP.

So I think just to add context you meant
That is the best line up we could do ( I like this lineup a lot) versus That is the best line up we could do ( and it’s too bad we can’t have better). ?

The latter is what this poster and others have suggested mainly the NVs for awhile now particularly before Jewel Spear became an elite shot maker on this team and arguably the #1 option during SEC play. And before Tamari Key has made steady improvement week to week.

Kaiya Wynn could start right now. I would insert Wynn next to Powell and Spear. There’s no logical reason to keep Wynn out the lineup. Although I don’t expect her to start it makes sense and would clear the path for a Top 2 SEC finish.

Reactions: Lucy
This is so you. Who else gives an eff about visuals?
Visuals are important,,,When standing straight you can see the hip-to-toe ratio and tell if there is a propensity for knee/ankle injuries depending on the extremeness of that triangle,,,their muscle tone,,,the player's face,,a face you are going to have to look at, that will be looking at you,,, or not

The visuals is sizing up your positions,,,their 6'3" our 6'6", post, advantage us

heart is important,,,,but,,,that thoroughbred/quarterhorse/Derby" thing

Visuals are important,,,When standing straight you can see the hip-to-toe ratio and tell if there is a propensity for knee/ankle injuries depending on the extremeness of that triangle,,,their muscle tone,,,the player's face,,a face you are going to have to look at, that will be looking at you,,, or not

The visuals is sizing up your positions,,,their 6'3" our 6'6", post, advantage us

I'm sure visuals are important in lots of ways. But in the actual basketball game, I'll take the player who actually produces and who matches up the best as opposed to the one who looks like they could, or should. Never seen points awarded for looking like an athletic horse.

Turns out that you are right CJ. I knew to trust my eyes since Kaiya stepped on the court. An elite athlete.. an explosive basketball player with elite defensive skills.

Tennessee has the talent and elite skills as you’ve stated. That is one of the main reasons on Nat’l tv during games you never hear game analysts say TN is not a talented team. These people have done their homework and know that these players are SEC talents. Development and game experience is what is needed. Kaiya Wynn and Jillian Hollingshead need to be used to their strengths. The system does not fit their skill set. I understand what the staff wants to do, but when you have essentially two former 5-star recruits off the bench that rankings dropped for reasons outside of basketball you have to get the most out of that potential. These are big-time talents on Rocky Top!

Man I was already excited for today’s game! Rocky Top about to be Rocking🍊!

News out of HS on Kaiya Wynn.
A 5-star prospect out of HS.. who as usual committed early and rankings dropped which seems typical for many LV commits from recruiting services.

I saw where she changed schools later in her HS career. Wynn as a Jr. was a 5-star G ranked #23 in the 2021 Class. Averaged 18 ppg!

Reactions: Lucy
I'm sure visuals are important in lots of ways. But in the actual basketball game, I'll take the player who actually produces and who matches up the best as opposed to the one who looks like they could, or should. Never seen points awarded for looking like an athletic horse.
given that the two were absolutely equal in skill, heart and mind,,,do you take the one less athletic?

given that the two were absolutely equal in skill, heart and mind,,,do you take the one less athletic?
Depends on the needs of your team and the matchups. The players in question are not absolutely equal in skills, that's the problem. Each has unique skills and unique liabilities the other doesn't have. What we've needed mostly up until now is a defense stretcher on the perimeter to help free up Rickea. Sara brings that, KW does not.

I've said several times, if Jewel continues to be a primo defense stretcher, maybe the unique skills KW brings rise to the front. Depends on the situation. But never on "appearance".

In general, the whole "athletic" vs "skilled" discussion makes me uncomfortable bc it's thinly veiled racism. Remember when this board was aghast that the overly athletic, skill-lacking players had "low basketball IQ". Ick.

Depends on the needs of your team and the matchups. The players in question are not absolutely equal in skills, that's the problem. Each has unique skills and unique liabilities the other doesn't have. What we've needed mostly up until now is a defense stretcher on the perimeter to help free up Rickea. Sara brings that, KW does not.

I've said several times, if Jewel continues to be a primo defense stretcher, maybe the unique skills KW brings rise to the front. Depends on the situation. But never on "appearance".

In general, the whole "athletic" vs "skilled" discussion makes me uncomfortable bc it's thinly veiled racism. Remember when this board was aghast that the overly athletic, skill-lacking players had "low basketball IQ". Ick.
On that note:
1707063680581.png

VN Store

Back