Georgia's non-conference schedule

Mullet

The Voice of Reason
I heard this on the radio today on the way home from work. If it has been posted, I apologize. I thought it was pretty darn stark.

Since 1960 Georgia has not traveled out of the Eastern Time Zone to play a non-conference football game.

Since 1998 Georgia's combined TOTAL miles traveled for a non conference game is less than 400.

They play @ Arizona State early this year (that's 1900 miles). That will be the first time in almost 50 years they have traveled outside the eastern time zone for a non conference game, and the 1900 miles is almost 6 times farther in ONE trip than they have traveled for a non conference game in the last 10 seasons COMBINED.

we play Georgia this year in football.:salute:

It's the off season. It's an interesting topic of conversation. Lighten up nerd.

we play Georgia this year in football.:salute:

It's the off season. It's an interesting topic of conversation. Lighten up nerd.
i find that very interesting and surprising as well. Most sec schools do not play tough ooc games due to how tough the sec is.

That is pretty interesting. ASU v UGA should be one of the more entertaining games early in the season. Go ASU! dickens needs to relax....he's gettin nervous

Also I know they played Boise State a few years back....did they never play on the blue turf?

UGA & BSU in Athens but not in Boise. UGA needs to go out & play out west of Athens more often to prove that they are a well traveled team & can win on those games.

I heard this on the radio today on the way home from work. If it has been posted, I apologize. I thought it was pretty darn stark.

Since 1960 Georgia has not traveled out of the Eastern Time Zone to play a non-conference football game.

Since 1998 Georgia's combined TOTAL miles traveled for a non conference game is less than 400.

They play @ Arizona State early this year (that's 1900 miles). That will be the first time in almost 50 years they have traveled outside the eastern time zone for a non conference game, and the 1900 miles is almost 6 times farther in ONE trip than they have traveled for a non conference game in the last 10 seasons COMBINED.

Assuming you're just talking about regular season OOC games (they've traveled everywhere for bowl games) they traveled to Ann Arbor to play MI in 1965, they played at Houston in 1967, at Tulane (New Orleans) in 1970 and again at Tulane in 1972. I don't recall Tulane being part of the SEC but I could be wrong. That's their last regular season OOC game outside of the Eastern Time Zone. It doesn't help that until recently they only played 3 OOC games and 1 is always against GT. TN always plays at least 1 great OOC game but we have no OOC in-state rival like FL does, or SC, or GA.

I have this argument all the time with my brother. Where is Fade? I want to hear what he has to say.

UGA will always use that old excuse that they play GT every year...We used to play them every year too back in the 80's but We STILL traveled to exotic places like LA, Southbend Etc Etc Etc...UF always says they play FSU every year is why they don't travel anywhere else lmao...At least Miami is back on their schedule this year..UGA I'll give a tiny bit of crdit to however...They have played Oklahoma St and Colorado and Boise st in recent years...All at Athens and I wonder when they are going to return the favor and play those teams on the road...Unless someway they didn't do a home and home series with any of those teams which those schools are STUPID for agreeing to something like that...I dunno :dunno:

Their away schedule has been pretty pitiful since 1998. The only OOC games they've played outside of Athens is GT and at Clemson once. How do they get teams like Colorado, Boise State or Oklahoma State to come to Athens without them returning the favor?

that is pretty weak. We always play the toughest OOC teams year in and year out.

salutethehill, I guess they pay them off pretty good.

Their away schedule has been pretty pitiful since 1998. The only OOC games they've played outside of Athens is GT and at Clemson once. How do they get teams like Colorado, Boise State or Oklahoma State to come to Athens without them returning the favor?

As far as Boise State is concerned, that was a point where they were itching to play just about anybody decent to prove they were a legit team. Unfortunately for them it back fired because they chose a pretty good SEC team, and got beat up.

They are playing CU in Boulder in 2010.

Just FYI...

We play @ Oklahoma State in 2009...

Host Arizona State in Athens in 2009...making that two good non-conference games in the same season...

@ Colorado in 2010.

Host Louisville in 2011.

@ Louisville in 2012.

@ Clemson in 2013.

Host Clemson in 2014.

@ Oregon in 2015...

...and host Oregon in 2016.

Our schedule is pretty good with regard to OOC opponents for the next few years. We have also attempted several times to get Michigan and Texas on a home-and-home and they have both declined, my understanding being that "details" just couldn't be worked out.

:thumbsup:

When they were originally scheduled, they were pretty impressive. You have to consider that schedules are determined roughly 6-10 years in advance.

Notre Dame isn't exactly USC either, BTW. :salute:

Colorado
Louisville
Clemson
Oregon

Actually, you're wrong saying that 6-10 years ago these teams were better than they are now.

Colorado
Louisville
Clemson
Oregon

Actually, you're wrong saying that 6-10 years ago these teams were better than they are now.

Oregon was 10-2 when they were scheduled (2005) and 9-4 this past year. They were 10-2 in 2000 and 11-1 in 2001.

Louisville was 9-3 in 2000, 11-2 in 2001, 7-6 in 2002, 9-4 in 2003, and 11-1 in 2004 when they were scheduled. They were 6-6 in 2007.

Clemson was previously a traditional OOC rival that we have tried to keep in the loop from time-to-time.

And yes, Colorado was also better.

And we can't help the situations with Michigan and Texas. We tried. We're still pursuing Michigan.

And we can't help the situations with Michigan and Texas. We tried. We're still pursuing Michigan.

What is your answer for the last 50 years?

Great you scheduled Colorado, Louisville, Clemson, and Oregon (nobody will ever mistake them for traditional powerhouse programs); and claim to want try and schedule Texas and Michigan (I do not believe it); but what about traditional powers like Miami, FSU, ND, USC, Oklahoma, Penn St., etc…

Other SEC schools have managed to schedule them.

VN Store

Back