Georgia's non-conference schedule

I don't make the schedule. What do you want me to say? It helps you guys to have NO legit in-state rival.
Georgia freaking Tech blows goats and you know it. In fact, Ut would have drilled them in their Championship season. Get over it. Alabama is a much bigger rivalry than anyone you have in state and is a much better team in general. We play them every year. Who do you play every year that has any prayer of being ranked.

You really want someone to buy that the sorry outfit in Atlanta represents a real rivalry. That's entertaining.

I've heard this response on this board so many times over the years that it makes my head spin: "SEC teams don't need tough OOC games because the conference is so tough." COPOUT. Georgia's scheduling over the last half century has been a complete joke. Good for them for finally traveling. Tennessee does a pretty good job of that, at least. Time for the rest of the SEC to catch up. Go out west for a game or two.

I've heard this response on this board so many times over the years that it makes my head spin: "SEC teams don't need tough OOC games because the conference is so tough." COPOUT.

Throwing a blanket over the SEC as a whole is a little invalid. Schools like Tennessee and Alabama have traditionally played decent OOC opponents and traveled . . .and you really can't blame schools like UGA and Florida who are already playing one neutral site game every year and have a built in annual game with a BCS opponent anyway.

did you actually read any of the discussion prior to posting this?

we were talking about their intense, yet amazingly fruitless, attempts at scheduling a real OOC game.
I did. That is why I was correcting you. Tulane finished 1970 ranked #17 and they beat GA in 1970 and 1972 in New Orleans. They were a "real OOC game". Michigan stunk in 1965 but I would always consider them a "real OOC game". Houston finished 1967 ranked in the top 20 in the Coaches Poll. They beat GA that year 15-14 in Houston. I would consider them a "real OOC game". These are just away OOC games outside of Eastern Time. It has not been 50 years since GA has scheduled a "real OOC game".

I've heard this response on this board so many times over the years that it makes my head spin: "SEC teams don't need tough OOC games because the conference is so tough." COPOUT. Georgia's scheduling over the last half century has been a complete joke. Good for them for finally traveling. Tennessee does a pretty good job of that, at least. Time for the rest of the SEC to catch up. Go out west for a game or two.

Honestly, with the way UGA and UF typically get away with playing no body ooc, while being highly ranked, I wish we would avoid the Oklahoma's and Oregon's of the world and add a few more cupcakes and move on. In the spirit of competition, and in the spirit of enjoying watching us play better OOC competition, I'm glad we don't.

I did. That is why I was correcting you. Tulane finished 1970 ranked #17 and they beat GA in 1970 and 1972 in New Orleans. They were a "real OOC game". Michigan stunk in 1965 but I would always consider them a "real OOC game". Houston finished 1967 ranked in the top 20 in the Coaches Poll. They beat GA that year 15-14 in Houston. I would consider them a "real OOC game". These are just away OOC games outside of Eastern Time. It has not been 50 years since GA has scheduled a "real OOC game".
tulane and freaking Houston is your support for something inside the past 50 years, and those were 36 and 43 years ago, respectively. Very nice points to show UGA's earnest attempts at avoiding all cupcakes aside from conference foes. I guarantee you that when those games were slated, both of those foes were mediocre at the very best.

OBTW, Hawaii finished in the top 20 last season, BYU has several times and even won a NC. That doesn't mean that scheduling them is some masochistic effort. UGA hasn't willfully scheduled a single team with a prayer of beating them on paper at the time of scheduling, unless you're telling me that they thought the Tulane and Houston games might be competitive.

tulane and freaking Houston is your support for something inside the past 50 years, and those were 36 and 43 years ago, respectively. Very nice points to show UGA's earnest attempts at avoiding all cupcakes aside from conference foes. I guarantee you that when those games were slated, both of those foes were mediocre at the very best.

OBTW, Hawaii finished in the top 20 last season, BYU has several times and even won a NC. That doesn't mean that scheduling them is some masochistic effort. UGA hasn't willfully scheduled a single team with a prayer of beating them on paper at the time of scheduling, unless you're telling me that they thought the Tulane and Houston games might be competitive.

Tulane was in the SEC until the late 60s. Houston was mediocre. I noticed that you conveniently left out Michigan. My point is that GA has played formidable OOC opponents in the past 50 years. 50 years sounds good, but it's wrong.

TN has the luxury of not having an in-state, BCS, OOC rival to deal with every year. This frees up our schedule to play teams like Miami, ND, Cal, UCLA, etc. I'll take that over playing the same teams every year. But GA has to play GT every year, which stinks for them because, in the long run, it hurts their scheduling. Many schools, TN included, play 1 OOC BCS team and the rest are "mid majors". SC, FL and GA already have their OOC BCS game scheduled every year. That kinda stinks.

My bad on Michigan. So they did try to schedule a decent OOC team 43 years ago. Kudos to them.

I guarantee you they love that GT qualifies as a decent OOC opponent because they can check the block without ever playing anybody.

I guarantee you they love that GT qualifies as a decent OOC opponent because they can check the block without ever playing anybody.

That may be true today, but it wasn't 7-10 years ago. From a fan perspective, I would think an in-state, BCS, OOC rivalry would stink. Look at who all we've gotten to see Tennessee play.

My bad on Michigan. So they did try to schedule a decent OOC team 43 years ago. Kudos to them.

Given some time Paul Johnson might begin to make UGA sweat a bit, but we'll see.

dude? are you serious? hardly.

Yeah, I'm serious. I didn't say he was going to throw up some kind of super win streak, or even trade wins, with them every year, I just said he may make them sweat a bit. At the present you can just pencil in a UGA win, give Johnson some time and they might actually have to think about Tech some.

Yeah, I'm serious. I didn't say he was going to throw up some kind of super win streak, or even trade wins, with them every year, I just said he may make them sweat a bit. At the present you can just pencil in a UGA win, give Johnson some time and they might actually have to think about Tech some.
why? GT running the wishbone will be a problem.

VN Store

Back