Getting Power Company to Move Power Line?

volinbham

VN GURU
Has anyone done this? My power line cuts diagonally across my back yard. I'm toying with the idea of putting in a pool but the line would have to be moved or put underground.

Anyone looked into this before?

...and your neighbors that are downstream from your house/pole will have to be out of power for a few hours while they do the work, depending on how your distributor has it's grid arranged.

You could route a 3" conduit from the pole to your meter on a path that will keep it out of the area you want the pool, assuming you won't be crossing anyone elses property
Posted via VolNation Mobile

No they won't.

Uh, yeah. Depending on the situation, people downstream will be interrupted briefly while they reconnect either temporary jumpers or put in the new conductors that will be able to reach the new location of the pole.

I figured I'd have to pay.

Not sure if it would stay aerial (my guess) or go underground. Either is fine with me an probably depends on the price difference.

I'll have to get the phone company to play ball too I guess since they follow the same run

Uh, yeah. Depending on the situation, people downstream will be interrupted briefly while they reconnect either temporary jumpers or put in the new conductors that will be able to reach the new location of the pole.
They will just cut his service loose and it won't affect any other customers.

Would definitely have to be moved before the pool went in, can't cross over water. How high is it? If less than 10 feet, power co has to raise it at no cost and may decide to reroute if sagging is an issue.

Had one put in the ground years ago.
Getting the power company to agree to the move and getting them to cut it loose only took about a month. Not kidding, after them coming out time after time dragging feet and making sure we did everything by the damn book.
Luckily all they had to do was cut the line we had another company tie it in.

They will just cut his service loose and it won't affect any other customers.

What if his pole has the transformer that feeds two other houses?

Or in my case, the pole doesn't have the transformer, but it carries the lines to my house and my neighbor from the transformer.

What if his pole has the transformer that feeds two other houses?

Or in my case, the pole doesn't have the transformer, but it carries the lines to my house and my neighbor from the transformer.
It doesn't matter. It's alternating current. They can cut his service loose, resplice it and never interrupt service for anybody else. The point is everybody is connected in parrallel as opposed to in series which is more common in a direct current application.

Last edited:
Can tell you for sure that the initial estimate from the power company will be at least 3x high.

It doesn't matter. It's alternating current. They can cut his service loose, resplice it and never interrupt service for anybody else. The point is everybody is connected in parrallel as opposed to in series which is more common in a direct current application.

There are plenty of locations that have just a single phase running to one neighborhood or subdivision with a radial feed...

Moving a pole isn't just about moving the feed to that one house. It is also about making the connection to the new location of the pole, also. Unless you are able to stretch the existing conductor to the new location. You could probably use hot sticks for jumpers, but it still wouldn;t help if you have to move a pole with a transformer with multiple homes on it. Someone besides yourself could still be affected.

Can tell you for sure that the initial estimate from the power company will be at least 3x high.

For good reason. Moving poles isn't just as easy as most people make it out to be. Personally, I wouldn't risk doing that type of job without making my final connections on a de-energized line. I realize some distributors do "hot" work, but in this particular case, it doesn't warrant that type of hassle. If it was a factory or industrial complex that needed continuous power, I MAY (may) take that chance with doing the jumper hot. But for residential loads, I would shut it down once I'm ready to tie everything back in.

Yeah, either having his service ran off another pole or going underground.

Well in that case, I'm not sure most power companies would want to deal with it much once it leaves the transformer to your house. Probably will have to go to a contractor rather than the local utility to get a good, fair price.

I just misunderstood what he was talking about moving.

:good!:

VN Store

Back