Going for the Sweep

With seven innings complete, Milwaukee still leads 9-4.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Interesting stat from the radio broadcast: Tennnessee has given up six runs this afternoon as a result of free bases (walks or hit batters).

Liles steps to the plate with one out and bases loaded.

Two-run single for Liles through the left side of the infield, but Norfork got caught in a rundown between second and third. It's 9-6 with two out in the eighth inning.

Two-run single for Liles through the left side of the infield, but Norfork got caught between second and third. It's 9-6 with two out in the eighth inning.

Our baserunning is atrocious.

Zack Godley struck out the side in the top of the ninth. Tennessee has the 5-6-7 hitters due up, still trailing 9-6.

Ramsey roped one, but right at the third baseman.

Interesting stat from the radio broadcast: Tennnessee has given up six runs this afternoon as a result of free bases (walks or hit batters).

So giving up walks was to much for the Vols to overcome today.
A valiant effort to come back but the Vols left to many runner's on bases, and gave up to many runs.

why exactly would you put in a pinch hitter who is one for eight with four strikeouts already in the series?

You do that because Thurber is due. When he gets a hold of one, it goes a LONG way.

Batting averages after the first two games of the season mean absolutely nothing.

Raleigh benched him today and felt like that might motivate him.

Thurber is one of only a couple of guys that has the power to miss a ball and hit it outta the park with the new bats.

Did anyone at the game see the line drive foul into the first row on the first base side that almost hit the guy playing on his IPhone? That was me.

well....I guess we didn't expect them to win 'em all this year. got down early and we couldn't plate a run. then we finally battled back a bit, but too little too late. Would have liked to have got the sweep, but they'll just have to come back next weekend. I don't think they have announced the starters against Canisius. Next game is Friday afternoon at 3pm. 50% chance of rain.

Well at least the pitching finished the game strong....I wasn't impressed with either starter at all the past 2 days...didn't seem to have very good stuff....this is what my rotation would look like next week:

1. Gruver
2. Godley
3. Dean

Our baserunning is atrocious.

Disagree, several times our runners getting "caught" has been done to get another runner home.

We've been overly aggressive so far with the baserunning, and when you have that strategy, you're going to get guys thrown out. But you're also going to force the other team into mistakes, as the Vols did on a couple of occasions on Friday and Saturday.

Looking at the numbers, the runners caught looks bad, but if you saw the games and the situations that resulted, you'll see that isn't the case.

Disagree, several times our runners getting "caught" has been done to get another runner home.

We've been overly aggressive so far with the baserunning, and when you have that strategy, you're going to get guys thrown out. But you're also going to force the other team into mistakes, as the Vols did on a couple of occasions on Friday and Saturday.

Looking at the numbers, the runners caught looks bad, but if you saw the games and the situations that resulted, you'll see that isn't the case.

I'll give you this in situations, but by my off the head count 5 runners thrown out in 3 games (and at least 2 of those at home) reeks of pretty overly-aggressive baserunning.

If we're going to attempt to play small ball this year, CTR needs to set up a consultation visit with Whitey Herzog. :)

VN Store

Back