Going to Charlotte - Any Recommendations?

Thanks for all of the responses. I’m going to just print this thread out and discuss it with my wife and the friends going with us and we’ll make an itenerary.

Appreciate y’all.

Bring ballistic protection and a weapon if you’re planning on hitting up Asheghanistan.
Can’t even go to Farm Burger downtown anymore without a violent crime of some sort and/or being propositioned for relations 🤷‍♂️
Sierra Nevada Brewery is a great place to visit

I love Farm Burger, but you are right about that area. It's an uneasy walk from a parking lot to the restaurant, especially when I had my family. Feels like something was about to happen, in a bad way. Too many freaks and weirdos hang out in that location

The Charlotte alumni chapter is hosting a social Friday night at Town Brewing starting at 7 PM (Town Brewing Co. Wesley Heights Charlotte NC | Town Brewing). We're also working on setting up a place to hang out before the game Saturday afternoon. When that's finalized, I'll post the location.

Since you'll have time Friday, check out the Whitewater Center (center.whitewater.org). It's a man made whitewater river on over 1000 wooded acres with hiking/mountain biking trails, outdoor climbing walls, flat water kayaking, zip lines, a beer garden and restaurants. There is a parking fee but it's free to use the trails and just walk around the facility. It's about 10 miles west of Uptown (Charlotte has an uptown but no downtown).

Carowinds is an amusement park just south of town on the stateline. Not the biggest but some really good coasters.

There are a couple of entertainment areas in the city with restaurants and bars. Most are along the light rail (Blue line) that runs on the south of town. Other ares are NODA (North Davidson), Plaza Midwood and Uptown. Parking in those areas has become a complete pain.

Consider using the light rail to go the restaurants in Southend but for the game, the train will be jam packed afterwards and you may wait a long time to get out. It also doesn't stop that close to B of A stadium

^^ this is all good advice

Personally, i wouldn't take the light rail but thats just me. Also, Discovery Place museum (downtown pretty close to stadium) can be fun depending on what exhibits are here at the time. Especially for kids. Check out their website if interested and see whats there now. I have never been to the Nascar museum or any team shops because I am not a fan...but if you are interested theres lots of stuff related to go fast/turn left.

Bring ballistic protection and a weapon if you’re planning on hitting up Asheghanistan.
Can’t even go to Farm Burger downtown anymore without a violent crime of some sort and/or being propositioned for relations 🤷‍♂️
Odd, I'm there 3 or 4x a month. If you mind yourself and don't gawk that **** doesn't happen.

Optimist Hall is a food hall on the edge of uptown that has a great selection of local eats: Optimist Hall | Charlotte's Premier Food Hall | 1115 North Brevard Street, Charlotte, NC, USA

For a local classic steakhouse it's Beef and Bottle: Beef N Bottle Steakhouse – Steak Restaurant in Charlotte NC

The oldest Italian restaurant in town is close to the stadium and is a typical old school red sauce joint: HOME | open-kitchen

For tons of great diner style food or breakfast anytime try The Landmark Diner. Featured on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. This isn't the nicest part of town but the restaurant is safe and hard to beat for value LANDMARK DINER

Just north of town is Concord Mills a huge company store type mall with tons of other businesses immediately surrounding (Think Opry Mills)

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I ran into an NC State fan at a bar on Saturday. I asked him how good a team he thought they'd have this year and he said that he thinks they'll win the ACC behind their QB and defense. He went on and on about how good they're going to be this year. I didn't have the heart to tell him that we were going to beat his Wolfpack by double digits. I think he's going to get his bubble deflated a bit in Charlotte but we will see

Anybody else find the mayo dumping ceremony of the winning coach to be disgusting and disrespectful? I'm hoping Josh finds a way out of it should we win. I guess the real question is does that occur after this particular game since it really isn't the Duke Mayo Bowl?

Anybody else find the mayo dumping ceremony of the winning coach to be disgusting and disrespectful? I'm hoping Josh finds a way out of it should we win. I guess the real question is does that occur after this particular game since it really isn't the Duke Mayo Bowl?
I recall George Allen Sr. (coach of Long Beach State) saying that he hadn't felt right after being dumped with Gatorade (Nov. 17th, 1990?). He didn't live to see the next season (d. Dec. 31, 1990).

Yep, I am in that crowd

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
@dobre_shunka What time are you planning to get there? I have a small crew coming in town and this looks like a perfect place to set up pregame.
I'll probably get there around noon to start watching the early games but unlike the event the night before, this one doesn't have defined schedule.

It's the local Clemson bar so you may see some off color orange there but it's so close to the stadium, it is still great place pre-game. There's actually a Greenway that will take you right from the bar to the stadium.

Last edited:
Charlottean here. Looking forward to catching up with some of yall Friday and Saturday before the game. I have a spot for free parking within walking distance to the stadium that's first come first served that I can share the details about. It literally backs up to a paid lot that's $50 to park. I don't want the location being shared everywhere because we park there for every Panthers game and Charlotte FC match and don't want to lose our spot lol.

The Charlotte alumni chapter is hosting a social Friday night at Town Brewing starting at 7 PM (Town Brewing Co. Wesley Heights Charlotte NC | Town Brewing). We're also working on setting up a place to hang out before the game Saturday afternoon. When that's finalized, I'll post the location.

Since you'll have time Friday, check out the Whitewater Center (center.whitewater.org). It's a man made whitewater river on over 1000 wooded acres with hiking/mountain biking trails, outdoor climbing walls, flat water kayaking, zip lines, a beer garden and restaurants. There is a parking fee but it's free to use the trails and just walk around the facility. It's about 10 miles west of Uptown (Charlotte has an uptown but no downtown).

Carowinds is an amusement park just south of town on the stateline. Not the biggest but some really good coasters.

There are a couple of entertainment areas in the city with restaurants and bars. Most are along the light rail (Blue line) that runs on the south of town. Other ares are NODA (North Davidson), Plaza Midwood and Uptown. Parking in those areas has become a complete pain.

Consider using the light rail to go the restaurants in Southend but for the game, the train will be jam packed afterwards and you may wait a long time to get out. It also doesn't stop that close to B of A stadium

This is lol. Have lived downtown for 7 years. It has problems like anywhere, but compared to nearly in other place in the SE, it is quite safe. The majority of crime is property...methheads stealing your lawn mower and crap.

We regularly walk home at night from concerts or just going out. Never had an issue nor has anyone else I know...now I get that's anecdotal, but long-term rates say the area is quite safe as well compared to other SE cities. Nearly all the shootings that do happen are siloed in the subsidized areas, not just out in downtown.

Again, everywhere has its issues, but I'd take walking and feeling safe there vs just about any downtown.

This is lol. Have lived downtown for 7 years. It has problems like anywhere, but compared to nearly in other place in the SE, it is quite safe. The majority of crime is property...methheads stealing your lawn mower and crap.

We regularly walk home at night from concerts or just going out. Never had an issue nor has anyone else I know...now I get that's anecdotal, but long-term rates say the area is quite safe as well compared to other SE cities. Nearly all the shootings that do happen are siloed in the subsidized areas, not just out in downtown.

Again, everywhere has its issues, but I'd take walking and feeling safe there vs just about any downtown.
I spent a lot of time downtown on business and dined there in the evenings. Never felt uncomfortable. Of course I go out in Houston, too.

I’ve been to CTown a number of times for different downtown events. Never had a problem. Fun place especially for a game.

What's the details on parking?

Ticketmaster wants an additional $60 for a parking pass and I am wondering if its worth it or is there anything better?

TIA

What's the details on parking?

Ticketmaster wants an additional $60 for a parking pass and I am wondering if its worth it or is there anything better?

TIA
I used the SpotHero app to find parking and there are options starting at $10 for the game.

The light rail is also an option but its closest stop to the stadium is about 6 blocks away and it will be packed after the game. It's also not the fastest train and can take a long time to get to Uptown from the outer stations

We’re going to meet some friends in Charlotte for the NC State game. We’ll either get there Thursday night or leave early Friday morning and get there around noon. Then we’ll drive back to Nashville on Sunday.

Any recommendations of places to eat Friday night? Things to do in the city. I figured we’ll see the NASCAR museum and HOF, but I know nothing about Charlotte.

Also, what’s a good spot to eat near the stadium before the game?

Any help is appreciated.
Friday night Knoxville band the Dirty Guv’nahs are playing at Neigborhood Theatre. Great local venue in the plaza midwood neighborhood, which has lots of cool restaurants and bars in walking distance. Show starts at 7! They put on a great show

VN Store

Back