Good article on "One and Done"s

First, it's based on faulty assumptions. OJ Mayo has not only remained enrolled in class for the second semester, he's thrived academically. So did Kevin Durant and Greg Oden. Further, I think an 18 year old on a college campus is in a much better environment than one riding buses to Boise, Austin and all the other backwater outposts of the NBDL. Finally, the idea of adopting the baseball model for basketball makes absolutely no sense. Look at the number of players who take a quantum leap forward in their sophomore season. Why should they be stuck in college for an extra season?

I see your points, but two of my own:

-Why should they be stuck in college at all?

-Austin ain't backwater.

How much time have you ever spent there?

Next time you go, let me know, and I'll tell you some spots that might give you a different impression.

How much time have you ever spent there?

Next time you go, let me know, and I'll tell you some spots that might give you a different impression.

austin is a fun city.... For about two weeks max.

There. That's more accurate.

The bar scene in Austin is quite nice IMO. I could spend a few days on the golf courses, and a day or two on the lake(s). but that's about it.

I've been to Dallas, Austin, Lubbock and stopped in Houston and all I discovered was that Texas ladies are overrated.

I'd like to bass fish in Lake Fork and duck hunt the coast. Other than that I have no use for Texas

if Austin had seasons, I'd live there in a heartbeat. Good golf, good boating, college town with great night scene. It's not Cosmopolitan, but I'd rather throw my years in Boston and NYC back for a do-over than actually live in either of them again.

I guess Austin is only a fun city if you like sunshine, tasty margaritas, incredible tex-mex and bbq (not to mention a very good assortment of other cuisine), lakes, live music, wearing flip-flops any day of the year, good jobs, fishing, hiking, biking, golfing, big university sports, political and cultural awareness, intelligent, friendly people, and beautiful women.

I guess Austin is only a fun city if you like sunshine, tasty margaritas, incredible tex-mex and bbq (not to mention a very good assortment of other cuisine), lakes, live music, wearing flip-flops any day of the year, good jobs, fishing, hiking, biking, golfing, big university sports, political and cultural awareness, intelligent, friendly people, and beautiful women.

that's not what I found there. I can't stress enough how overrated Texas women are.

Political and cultural awareness=Texas gave us George W. Bush.
Intelligent, friendly people=They are Texans. That
by defintion, makes at least 80% of them absolute douchebags.
Beautiful women=Comparing the Tammy Wynette impersonators and trailer skanks that inhabit Texas to glorious creatures inhabiting Manhattan, Las Vegas, and South Beach is like comparing a sandwich made with the feces of a homeless bum with a steak at Peter Luger's.

I guess Austin is only a fun city if you like stupidity, nasty margaritas, inedible tex-mex and bbq (not to mention an awful assortment of other crappy cuisine), lakes inhabited by drunk redneck trash, live music played by either the washed up or the never were, wearing flip-flops any day of the year, bad jobs that require working with Texas scum, foolishness, hicks, bowheads, golfing, no real professional sports, political and cultural bigotry, idiotic, fake people, and big, fat women.
There, now your assessment is in order.

Political and cultural awareness=Texas gave us George W. Bush.
Intelligent, friendly people=They are Texans. That
by defintion, makes at least 80% of them absolute douchebags.
Beautiful women=Comparing the Tammy Wynette impersonators and trailer skanks that inhabit Texas to glorious creatures inhabiting Manhattan, Las Vegas, and South Beach is like comparing a sandwich made with the feces of a homeless bum with a steak at Peter Luger's.

Hat, I defer to you on hoops and other subjects, but this post tells me you haven't spent a great deal of time in Austin, or at least haven't seen much of it.

Your comments are all about the state of Texas, not the city of Austin. Saying Austin is all things Texas is like saying Miami is just like Rosewood.

I mean, do you know what Austinites think of GW Bush? Not good. Find a beehive Tammy Wynette impersonator in Austin and I'll buy you a bottle of Cristal.

Seriously, if you go back, let me know, b/c it'd be a travesty if you died thinking it was nothing more than the airport, 6th St. and the Yellow Rose.

Hat, I defer to you on hoops and other subjects, but this post tells me you haven't spent a great deal of time in Austin, or at least haven't seen much of it.

Your comments are all about the state of Texas, not the city of Austin. Saying Austin is all things Texas is like saying Miami is just like Rosewood.

I mean, do you know what Austinites think of GW Bush? Not good. Find a beehive Tammy Wynette impersonator in Austin and I'll buy you a bottle of Cristal.

Seriously, if you go back, let me know, b/c it'd be a travesty if you died thinking it was nothing more than the airport, 6th St. and the Yellow Rose.
I spent two weeks that seemed like twenty years in Austin. Austinites are so brutal to W. that his chunky daughter attended school there. Austin is inhabited by pseudointellectual wannabes. They act like they are a music haven when, in fact, there are more good concerts in a week in NYC than are performed in seven years in Austin. They like to act as if they're some cosmopolitan mecca. They are, in actuality, just another Texas city infested with rednecks and hicks. It's just that Austinites are too phony to admit it.

There, now your assessment is in order.

That's why the city hosts 3 of the country's most prestigious music festivals, and perhaps the most respected music television program.

That's why the entire city of Los Angeles descends upon Austin for a week every April to try to get a glimpse of the next music stars.

That's why the city is home to the world's largest computer manufacturer and a host of other high-tech corporations.

That's why the city is the home of the country's most progressive grocery chain.

That's why no-names like Lance Armstrong and Sandra Bullock and Matthew McConaughey and Andy Roddick and Richard Linklater and Robert Rodriguez all call it home.

No, seriously, you should visit there.

VN Store

Back