Grunfeld ceremony fantastic

You know ... this is going to sound absurd (and I think I'll go bang my head against the wall 23 times after I type this), but Mickey Dearstone is a better play-by-play guy than Kesling. He's actually pretty good at it.

That's about all he's pretty good at. I can't stand his takes on that morning show ....

I'm pretty sure that it would only take about one game before everyone would be tired of listening to him talk about how much better the Lady Vols could do things. Or, how he could guard the center position.

I'm pretty sure that it would only take about one game before everyone would be tired of listening to him talk about how much better the Lady Vols could do things. Or, how he could guard the center position.

Haha ... yeah, but that's the thing. When he's doing play-by-play, he doesn't have as much time to interject his ridiculous statements.

i also thought he did a bad job; however, I realized about 2 minutes into the intro that the audio was screwed up in in the arena. He was speaking and it sounded like he was stumbling, but it was just the bad audio feed.

You're right, I did kinda notice that. But that won't stop people that have a nostalgic feeling for Ward from bashing Kesling. I miss the calls from Ward, but really, it doesn't enhance or take away from the game if Kesling is there, imo. The only people that can manage to make my skin crawl are Billy Packer and Bill Walton back when he was doing play-by-play...

i also thought he did a bad job; however, I realized about 2 minutes into the intro that the audio was screwed up in in the arena. He was speaking and it sounded like he was stumbling, but it was just the bad audio feed.
I noticed the audio clipping, too, but he was stumbling over his notes as well.

You're right, I did kinda notice that. But that won't stop people that have a nostalgic feeling for Ward from bashing Kesling. I miss the calls from Ward, but really, it doesn't enhance or take away from the game if Kesling is there, imo. The only people that can manage to make my skin crawl are Billy Packer and Bill Walton back when he was doing play-by-play...

Vitale gets me ... of course, he's doing color.

Thumbs down to the Vol network. The only way for a listener to hear Ernie speak, and they do their commercials and haftime stats through the bulk of Ernie's speech. Poor thinking.

I watched the video of the ceremony...It is fantastic seeing Ernie and Bernie standing there together...The memories of those two are amazing...I really loved the video montage they showed of them winning in lexington and the vol fans there holding up the big banner, "Cry Kentucky Cry" LMFAO!!....So, Who's number is next?...I believe it should be the great Dale Ellis...2 time first team all american Marietta GA :clapping:

Back to the thread title.

I too thought the ceremony was nice. Let the person being honored do most of the talking. The video was well done too - gave a nice snapshot of his background and accomplishments. Love seeing the old footage of E and B kicking some butt. Nice threads and 'dos back in the 70s.

I have given up hope of Kessling ever getting better. He has had this job since 99-00 and is no better in fact I think worse than he was when he started. The big problem I think was mentioned. Preparation. You can tell he is not ready, but then again with Bert screaming in your ear who could do play by play. It is so painful to listen to. I miss John Ward more every day.

You know ... this is going to sound absurd (and I think I'll go bang my head against the wall 23 times after I type this), but Mickey Dearstone is a better play-by-play guy than Kesling. He's actually pretty good at it.

That's about all he's pretty good at. I can't stand his takes on that morning show ....

I strongly disagree. Kesling doesn't make extraneous judgements about the other team during broadcasts.

Is Steven Pearl still wearing 22?

Good question. Here's another: Is Steven Pearl still on the team? I don't remember the last time I saw such an awkward player. He may have some basketball IQ and enough talent to ride the bench, but he has got to be the most awkward player ever. I love how he's the first player out on the court practicing before every game though.

Two things come to mind about Ernie G.

1. The time he stepped up to the foul line and shot free throws when in fact another Vol should have been at the line. He was an excellent free throw shooter.
2. The other thing is when UT was playing Kentucky,although Kentucky center Kevin Grieve (sp) had several inches on him,Ernie G. still managed to punch the bully in his nose.:eek:lol:

VN Store

Back