Have Randy Sanders skills been overlooked?

Dr Dread

Let me start by saying that I've never been much of a Randy Sanders fan. I thought Jef Francis was a better QB (though neither could beat out Jim Bob Cooter). And I've been screaming loudly for the day that Fulmer would save the Tennessee program by handing him his pinkslip to make way for Daryle Dickey. But after the way he took two true freshman QBs and a relatively young recieving core and coached the offense well enough to grab 10 wins I decided to lay off him for a year. Then I started thinking (not always a very productive exercise for me).

Who was the QB coach while Manning was here? Sanders.

Who was the QB coach when Tee lead us to a national championship? Once again, Sanders.

Who was the QB coach last year, when for the first time in UT football history a true freshman started at QB, got replaced by another true freshman, then got injured a game before the freshman that replaced him went down for the season; leaving us with what for all practical purposes would have been nothing more than 4th string QB, had Leak not tried his hand on defense? Sanders

Have I been so hard on him for the lack of steady offensive productivity that I've overlooked the fact that he might be one of the best QB coaches in the SEC (maybe nation)?

He's now got Ainge, followed by Cromton, then possibally C3. Do we have a QB guru in the making?

Sanders still has alot to prove and this is the year where he has to put UT's offense back to where it was and if he doesn't there are no excuses, all the parts are in place.

Yes. Keep Sanders as offensive coordinator. He has done an extremely good job at developing quarterbacks.

Originally posted by Vol67@Jul 27, 2005 9:54 PM
Sanders still has alot to prove and this is the year where he has to put UT's offense back to where it was and if he doesn't there are no excuses, all the parts are in place.
[snapback]118720[/snapback]​

You forget that our offense kept us from losing to Vanderbilt, Kentucky and South Carolina last season.

Wasn't he a Running backs coach during the Peyton years?

Volunteer Coach 1989-1990
WR's 1991-1992
RB's 1993-1998
OC & QB's 1999 - Present

Originally posted by Vol67@Jul 28, 2005 1:01 AM
RB's 1993-1998
[snapback]118730[/snapback]​

This thread started by talking about about QBs, but CRS was the position coach for Jamal Lewis, James Stewart, Charlie Garner, Travis Henry . . . not too shabby.

Originally posted by GAVol@Jul 28, 2005 1:09 AM
This thread started by talking about about QBs, but CRS was the position coach for Jamal Lewis, James Stewart, Charlie Garner, Travis Henry . . . not too shabby.
[snapback]118735[/snapback]​

Yeah, that's pretty good huh? :blink:

Sanders is one of the most underrated coaches in the SEC. He is the dean of OC's in the conference, and he has had more success than not only any current OC, but more than likely, more success than any OC, the last 10 years in the SEC. ATLEAST.

Back up there Beltway.
You forgot someone
Jimbo Fisher
In his time at LSU 2000 - Present LSU is 48-16 .750 2 SEC West Titles, 2 SEC Titles, 1 NCAA Championship

vs Sanders
1999 - Present UT is 56-20 .737 3 SEC East Titles (2 Shared)

Head to head meetings Fisher team has won 2 of 3

Jimbo has the edge

If you go over the last 10 years I'll go with Cutcliffe

You forgot Sander's National Title.

While he didn't coordinate the entire season, he did call the game. He deserves some credit for that.

I did think about Fisher, but for some reason, thought that he had left LSU.

Sanders was following Cut's script for that game and also Fulmer had a big hand in the play selections. Sanders was oC on paper he doesn't deserve credit for the NC, that goes to Cut.

Also factor in Neil Callaway at UGA he has been an SEC OC since 1998 with Alabama 1st then UGA
1998 - 2000 20-18 .526 1 SEC West Title, 1 SEC Championship
2001 - Present 42-10 .808 2 SEC East Titles, 1 SEC Championship
Total - 1998- Present 62-28 .689 1 SEC West Title, 2 SEC East Titles, 2 SEC Championships

Head to Head
Callaway is 3-4, 0-3 at Bama, 3-1 at Georgia

Sorry but looking at accomplishments I'll rank them
1. Jimbo Fisher 48-16 .750 2 SEC West Titles, 2 SEC Titles, 1 NCAA Championship
2. Neil Callaway 62-28 .689 1 SEC West Title, 2 SEC East Titles, 2 SEC Championships
3. Randy Sanders 56-20 .737 3 SEC East Titles (2 Shared)

While not :bow: CRS,nor :bad: the guy.
I believe he is as smart of an QB/OC since CDC.
CRS can only make calls, on the Offense he has on the field!
Injuries have ate us up, either draining the O-line or lack of mental on field talent! We have been mis-matched here or there for the last 3-5 seasons. While sometimes dominate others lack luster squeek'rs.

It takes a full circle, wide open play book, Dom O-Line , a back or 2 that can skip, dance, between the guards and tackles. Cpf is old school!
Does he entertain dates with the NFL? Sure he has......But who in the NFL wants a HC, That still say's we'll win by our game in the trentches?

Actually, if you believe Phil Fulmer, he was just talking about Randy today......

Randy has taken a lot of grief, you know, after the -- he was a hero, Randy, our offensive coordinator, in 1998, he was a hero, basically called the game in the National Championship game was former Tennessee quarterback, '99 he did fine because he had a lot of really good players. We graduated a lot of kids that year. And lost five juniors to the NFL. In 2000 he wasn't such a hero anymore because we were playing with lesser people than we had been playing with, that needed time to develop. Well, 2001 all of a sudden he's a hero again because we are right there in the SEC Championship game: He's a good play-caller, again all of a sudden in 2003, two and 3 all of a sudden it is a little bit different I guess.

Randy did a fabulous job last year with those two freshmen and not giving them too much to do, using the strengths around them, whether personnel strengths, from a formation standpoint trying to keep people off balance and not putting them in positions where they are going to have to make a whole lot of big-time decisions.

Hard to know exactly what Randy did and did not do, but I tend to think that he was calling the game for himself. I certainly do not think he was "following a script". Randy is a hell of a coordinator. I'll give you Jimbo, but part of the success of Randy is his stability and thats something Calloway doesn't have by being at two schools over that span. Callloway isnt the "O-Coordinator" at UGA anyway. That pretty much falls on Mark Richt's shoulders a lot more than Calloway's. But regardless, my point here is that Randy is much better than the "average" Tennessee fan gives him credit for.

Originally posted by IBleedOrange24/7@Jul 27, 2005 11:25 PM
Does he entertain dates with the NFL?  Sure he has......But who in the NFL wants a HC, That still say's we'll win by our game in the trentches?
[snapback]118743[/snapback]​

That's because skill positions can win in the NFL even if the team doesn't do well on the lines. Very different from the college game.

Originally posted by Vol67@Jul 28, 2005 1:39 AM
Back up there Beltway.
You forgot someone
Jimbo Fisher
In his time at LSU 2000 - Present LSU is 48-16 .750 2 SEC West Titles, 2 SEC Titles, 1 NCAA Championship

vs Sanders
1999 - Present UT is 56-20 .737 3 SEC East Titles (2 Shared)

Head to head meetings Fisher team has won 2 of 3

Jimbo has the edge

If you go over the last 10 years I'll go with Cutcliffe
[snapback]118738[/snapback]​

you cant really compare that because lsu has bee a defensive team.

The real problem with Sanders....our offenses are just not sexy. We run a Neyland philosophy in regard to our offense. Move the ball, go for field position, take little risk and run the clock. We are not philosophically "explosive" and thereby sexy. Many fans want a sexy offense that throws deep often. That is not our style nor will it be as long as Fulmer is HC. If the OL can stay healthy this year, we will have more tools than we did last year, but we will still not be sexy.

Originally posted by BHAMVOLFAN@Jul 28, 2005 9:26 AM
The real problem with Sanders....our offenses are just not sexy.  We run a Neyland philosophy in regard to our offense.  Move the ball, go for field position, take little risk and run the clock.  We are not philosophically "explosive" and thereby sexy.  Many fans want a sexy offense that throws deep often.  That is not our style nor will it be as long as Fulmer is HC.  If the OL can stay healthy this year, we will have more tools than we did last year, but we will still not be sexy.
[snapback]118763[/snapback]​

I agree with that, but to listen to some fans, you'd think we are running the triple option or something. CPF and CRS have a reputation for running the football, but really all we are is just a balanced offense in a pass happy culture.

Last season was the first year I can remember where Sanders really impressed me with his playcalling and his creativity.

We threw in several new wrinkles into both the running and passing game, and it actually looked like Randy outsmarted the defense from time to time instead of it always looking like our players had to make difficult plays in order to get a score. Last season, Randy did a really good job of putting our players in position to score. Before last season, I always heard Sanders say, "We'll take what the defense gives us," which a bad philosophy in my opinion. Last year we seemed to dictate the pace and the offense in a manner that made the defense adjust to us, not the other way around.

I liked what I saw last year, but no excuses this year. He has everything an offensive coordinator could ever want--talented and exprienced QB's, a fast deep and talented WR corps, and a veteran and strong O-line. I'll be really frustrated if we don't run like a well-oiled machine on offense this fall.

Randy showed me something last season; that was definitely his best year as a playcaller. I've been screaming for years that UT needs some fresh ideas and some new blood with regards to the offensive system. If the offense struggles this year, look for everyone praising Sanders right now (myself included) to be calling for his head . . . and a new offensive coordinator.

I agree with that, but to listen to some fans, you'd think we are running the triple option or something. CPF and CRS have a reputation for running the football, but really all we are is just a balanced offense in a pass happy culture.

I think that was the most accurate depiction of our "offensive woes"

Well said GAVol. :thumbsup:

Go back and look at games played when Cut was OC or even Fulmer and the offense looked good and moved, under Sanders its herk-jerky and looks bad.

Originally posted by Vol67@Jul 28, 2005 1:50 PM
Go back and look at games played when Cut was OC or even Fulmer and the offense looked good and moved, under Sanders its herk-jerky and looks bad.
[snapback]118852[/snapback]​

Absolutely agree. That's a perfect description of what it has looked like under Randy.

Everything looks difficult and forced, and it seems rare for a WR to be open.

I hear you and I somewhat agree - things under Cut seemed to be more fluid/natural progressions. However, if you look at the teams that Cutcliffe had - he had a lot more "super star" players - now I am not saying that sanders has not had talent to work with but Peyton and Lewis definately contributed a lot to his sucess - we had a lot of great individual efforts that came together at the right times. Since he left it seems that there hasn't been the cohesion (sp?) necessary to make them look the same. I think this is one the most offensively talented squads we have had in a while and having matured A LOT last season - this should be the time that you see CRS shine a little brighter. We play a blanced offense and when the run game isn't there the pass won't hold up and vice versa.

Agreed.

As I said in a previous post, no excuses this year. If the offense doesn't run smoothly, with a good QB, superstar WR's, Riggs, and a great O-Line, I'll place the blame squarely on Randy's shoulders.

Originally posted by BHAMVOLFAN@Jul 28, 2005 8:26 AM
The real problem with Sanders....our offenses are just not sexy.  We run a Neyland philosophy in regard to our offense.  Move the ball, go for field position, take little risk and run the clock.  We are not philosophically "explosive" and thereby sexy.  Many fans want a sexy offense that throws deep often.  That is not our style nor will it be as long as Fulmer is HC.  If the OL can stay healthy this year, we will have more tools than we did last year, but we will still not be sexy.
[snapback]118763[/snapback]​

Sexy is overrated. Solid and dependable is a much better bet.

VN Store

Back