He is a colossal douche canoe but Lame Kitten nails it

When you have had coaches like Butch Jones and Jeremy Pruitt before you, it’s pretty hard. You continue to show stupidity.
It’s year 3 man. I’m not expecting SEC championships but what win this year made you think that we’re really headed in the right direction? Or that you were proud of? A&M maybe??? We’re likely going to be embarrassed in all 4 of our losses. I like Heupel, but as many have stated, the mistakes and total lack of effort are not representative of a program trending toward exceptional things.

Reactions: Tnslim1
It’s year 3 man. I’m not expecting SEC championships but what win this year made you think that we’re really headed in the right direction? Or that you were proud of? A&M maybe??? We’re likely going to be embarrassed in all 4 of our losses. I like Heupel, but as many have stated, the mistakes and total lack of effort are not representative of a program trending toward exceptional things.
He has out performed 2 out of 3 years as coach. That's all that matters. One of them massively so.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
He has out performed 2 out of 3 years as coach. That's all that matters. One of them massively so.
I wouldn’t say that’s all that matters. The way in which we lost this year is a red flag. It just is. He can still recover for sure, but it’s going to require a shift in philosophy, coaching and player personnel. He’s such a loyal/stubborn coach that I’m not sure he’ll make the necessary adjustments in time. I’m really hoping he does bc I like him as a person and as a coach.

Look who is one and two right now in recruiting.. Whatever Satan I mean Saban was complaining about with NIL seems to be figured out now.. It's always been the Jimmy's and Joe's. Better hope Nico is a generational talent because he going too have to be. We're not going to outrecruit Bubba or UGA anytime soon.

No. Just more informed, much. The conjecture part is that I prefer Heupel. The part about coaches thinking Kiffin is top three in the SEC is because I know it.
What are your areas of concern moving forward that need addressed? Do you think the offense lost a step more due to QB/WR play or loss of Alex? Combination of both?

And? He's one of the greatest of all time for what he did at Alabama, not A&M.
Yes, but he did a phenomenal job at A&M while he was there. 1956 Southwest Conference Champions two years after the Junction Boys 1-9 team, including beating Texas in Austin. Outside of 1954, his record was 24-5-2. Add in a Heisman trophy winner in 1957.

Pretty strong consideration for one of the best in their history if one allows for the length of time. If he doesn't return home when "Mama called" I think without a doubt he would have been the greatest they ever had.

Yes, but he did a phenomenal job at A&M while he was there. 1956 Southwest Conference Champions two years after the Junction Boys 1-9 team, including beating Texas in Austin. Outside of 1954, his record was 24-5-2. Add in a Heisman trophy winner in 1957.

Pretty strong consideration for one of the best in their history if one allows for the length of time. If he doesn't return home when "Mama called" I think without a doubt he would have been the greatest they ever had.
Barring some kind of really unique circumstance (e.g., an extreme amount of success in a short period, or a school who has an extreme amount of coaching turnover), it is hard to say a coach who stayed 4 years at a school is the greatest coach in that school's history. If Bear Bryant didn't go on to do what he did at Alabama, there's no way you're saying he's the greatest coach in A&M's history.

There are probably 4 A&M coaches who I'd say had better tenures than Bryant's at A&M. And it isn't because he was bad; he just wasn't there for very long.

I don’t think Franchione was all that good. RC Slocum was the last coach that did anything of note there. And he greatly benefited from coaching at a Time when Texas, OU, and LSU were average to bad programs. Once Nick Saban, Mack Brown, and Bob Stoops arrived at those places, A&Ms recruiting fell off a cliff, and Slocum was fired within a few years.
You're right. I got them mixed up.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
Why? They just got absolutely smoked by UGA last night. I'll never understand the love fest for LK.
Lane already told you the reason and it isn't limited to Ole Miss: 1 5 star vs 24 for UGA. How many other programs have even 10 5 stars that play Georgia? Look at how Darnell Wright performed and when we lost him to the NFL what are we left with? 1 5 star who's currently 2nd string. Recruiting is the lifeblood of any program. You can only pull so many rabbits out of a hat until they see you don't have the horses. You don't have to have all 5 stars but it certainly hasn't hurt Bama. You do have to have a number of 4 stars that are good. Hopefully, we'll get there but it isn't going to happen next year probably either. Look what happened when we lost McCoy, Haden, Thorton. That's just 3 players, where's our equivalent 2 stringers? We don't have them. The guys are doing the best they can, but hard to replace that talent lost unless you have quality recruits, 2-3 deep like Bama/GA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Go aeiou
Barring some kind of really unique circumstance (e.g., an extreme amount of success in a short period, or a school who has an extreme amount of coaching turnover), it is hard to say a coach who stayed 4 years at a school is the greatest coach in that school's history. (1) If Bear Bryant didn't go on to do what he did at Alabama, there's no way you're saying he's the greatest coach in A&M's history.

There are probably 4 A&M coaches who I'd say had better tenures than Bryant's at A&M. And it isn't because he was bad; (2)he just wasn't there for very long.
1) You seem to assume that apparently, if Bear Bryant stayed at A&M, he forgets how to coach. I very plainly stated "If he doesn't return home when "Mama (i.e. Alabama) called...". Yes, he may have been a total failure after '57, but the last three years he was there, he won at an 80% clip. While it is not guaranteed he would have become the legend he did (after all, he might have gotten run over by a log truck), I doubt very many knowledgeable folks about college football believe he would have not become a legend at A&M if he had remained.

2) Not sure what was misunderstood about "...as long as one accounts for the length of time." Maybe that could have been phrased better as "if one allows for the length of time", but I thought the context made that clear. I regret the error.

And, as I said, one has to ignore 1954. Even with the 1-9 record, he was over .600. His last three years were over 80% win percentage. Bear Bryant would have succeeded at whatever major college program he coached. End of story. I will say RC was the best in their history in my opinion.

Reactions: EasternVol

VN Store

Back