Heisman Hype

I have high hopes for him unless a player from Michigan is on the ballot. If so, you know what will happen. E$PN will have their way.
You know espn usually caters to bigger brands or at least brands with a flashy story. Heupel’s offense is a lot more flashy and marketable as is Tennessee as a story as well right now. I would say maybe the winds are changing.

Fulmer sent packing - 2008
Pruitt's Folly - 2011
This era in dog years - 53 years. Five plus decades.

I trust Nathan, my dog. He's smart, goofy, even exasperatingly annoying, but he's smart. Doesn't like sharp objects, though. Now me, on the other hand, I like crossbow hunting, harvesting stinging nettles to substitute for spinach, and grabbing strange cats by the tail.
So if your team doesn’t win a conference or national title then the team is irrelevant. Tough standard. Beg to differ…

I think too much pressure is directed Nico's way, or at least too much expectation. As a Vols fan, I understand the eagerness for instant success to take the foul taste of decades of irrelevance from our mouths. While I'd love to see Nicie lead us to heights we haven't seen since the 90s, I advocate patience. Heup is a QB developer, and Nico will likely need more than a debut year to even sniff some of the expectations fans have on him. Unlike Hooker, he doesn't come to us with a lot of college ball experience to mesh with obvious talent. My only concern is our expectations doesn't mess with his head.

Heisman Hype

Heisman talk for a guy who's started, what, 1 game is pretty stupid--period. This is a function of the digital age and having far too many amateurish content sites.

I was thinking about the Heisman and Heupels offense the other day. Look at the stats of the last 6 QBs to win it.

Daniels- 72%, 4946 total yards, 50 total TDs with 4 INTs. 327 pass attempts and 135 rushing attempts.

Williams- 67%, 4919 total yards, 52 total TDs with 5 INTs. 500 pass attempts and 113 rush attempts.

Young- 67%, 4872 total yards, 50 TDs and 7 INTs. 547 pass attempts.

Burrow- 76%, 6039 total yards, 65 total TDs with 6 INTs. 527 pass attempts and 115 rush attempts.

Murray- 69%, 5361 total yards, 54 total TDs with 7 INTs, 370 pass attempts and 140 rush attempts.

Mayfield- 71%, 4938 total yards, 48 total TDs with 6 INTs. 404 pass attempts and 97 rush attempts.

Now look back to Hookers 2022 season. 70%, 3565 total yards, 32 total TDs and 2 INTs. 329 pass attempts and 104 rush attempts

So compare the pass attempts for Hooker and the rest of these guys. Now Hooker averaged about 10 yards per pass.

My whole point is will Nico actually throw enough to get the stats necessary to win? We run the ball more than we pass.

Last edited:
Hopefully Nico is one of those leaders that just naturally force players around him to play better.

VN Store

Back