Helene Response

AdoptedVOL

Mods: Park this thread where it belongs. The call needs to go out on all available channels for this crisis.

Our state and neighboring states need much help. Samaritan Purse is a great organization you can trust.

Use this link to give or volunteer your services/time.

There are needs for bottled water, toiletries and non-perishable food as well as pet food and baby formula. Lot of local folks trying to get these items over to them from here in east TN.
Some places to consider are:
Second Harvest Food Bank
Salvation Army
American Red Cross
ETSU

Lot of good info in this News Sentinel article

It can't be underscored how devastated the area is in east TN and into NC. Not sure the national press is even talking about it but I know that the Volunteers will rise to the needs.

For the thousands of people missing, continue to pray and do what what you can to help.

Thanks in advance.

Mods: Park this thread where it belongs. The call needs to go out on all available channels for this crisis.

Our state and neighboring states need much help. Samaritan Purse is a great organization you can trust.

I’m thankful for all that Samaritan’s Purse does as it’s a great organization. It’s really odd that Samaritans Purse isn’t providing volunteering options in TN—seems that Erwin and Newport could use some assistance. Anyone know how to volunteer to help out our folks in TN?

You don't have any idea how your world can be obliterated in one storm.Lived in Fla for 32 years and our Tennessee people have seen and have been affected by the horror of your world being reduced to zero.Anything you can send-food,money clothes,pet food-anything will help those who now have little or nothing.

Living in the Tri Cities area and it’s devastating. Went to work Friday morning and finally got to come home this morning for a break. It looks like a war zone with the amount of destruction and debris piles. The 2 main interstates into our great state from NC are closed along with a lot of the side or secondary roads. This will be a long drawn out rebuild but we will get thru it with God and the volunteer spirit. Prayers are needed and greatly appreciated for sure, a lot of people lost everything they had and some even lost their lives. Last update said 173 still missing in Unicoi and Washington counties. I thank God my home and family wasn’t directly impacted but I feel so bad for those who were.

Living in the Tri Cities area and it’s devastating. Went to work Friday morning and finally got to come home this morning for a break. It looks like a war zone with the amount of destruction and debris piles. The 2 main interstates into our great state from NC are closed along with a lot of the side or secondary roads. This will be a long drawn out rebuild but we will get thru it with God and the volunteer spirit. Prayers are needed and greatly appreciated for sure, a lot of people lost everything they had and some even lost their lives. Last update said 173 still missing in Unicoi and Washington counties. I thank God my home and family wasn’t directly impacted but I feel so bad for those who were.

Just left the ER after 9 years, I have enough buddies that are EMS/medics that I can imagine what you’re dealing with. Stay safe out there and try to catch a nap when you can, even though I’m sure they’ve been hard to come by these last few days.

So far the the Federal help is either non existent or invisible. Inexcusable.

My observations :
-The interstate disasters will take perhaps a year to fix on 26 and more on 40. Effectively cuts off the Carolina’s from much of the Midwest US through E TN.
- Economic impact on tourism will be significant.

The need to get the infrastructure rebuilt ASAP is critical for E TN.

My observations :
-The interstate disasters will take perhaps a year to fix on 26 and more on 40. Effectively cuts off the Carolina’s from much of the Midwest US through E TN.

After sending so much money to other countries, maybe our coffers are running dry...

I have a family member in Hendersonville NC we’ve not heard from. 80% power outage.

EDIT: As of 10/1 2:30 PM no word. Still great deal of outages (power, internet, roads)

10/2 4:09 PM: My family was finally able to get a text out and are fine. Wow… incredible relief!

Here is a link to a Red Cross web form to register missing family…

Last edited:

At least Ukraine gets aid. Sarcasm much.

We are on day 5. I am afraid things will get really ugly.

People are without clean water. People are without their meds. Not just insulin or high blood pressure meds, but chemo, mental health meds, antibiotics, etc. I hope these communities can stick together, but it will be a challenge when it comes to simply surviving. The people who live in these mountains are not as self-reliant as they were 100 years ago. With all the benefits of modernization and increased connection to the "outside world" has come a decreasing amount of self-sustainability in these communities. Much of that which remained has been washed away.

Hopefully, we can get necessities in soon, while this is just a natural disaster and not one of man vs. man.

We are on day 5. I am afraid things will get really ugly.

People are without clean water. People are without their meds. Not just insulin or high blood pressure meds, but chemo, mental health meds, antibiotics, etc. I hope these communities can stick together, but it will be a challenge when it comes to simply surviving. The people who live in these mountains are not as self-reliant as they were 100 years ago. With all the benefits of modernization and increased connection to the "outside world" has come a decreasing amount of self-sustainability in these communities. Much of that which remained has been washed away.

Hopefully, we can get necessities in soon, while this is just a natural disaster and not one of man vs. man.
We’ve been at this since Katrina and before. Why can’t we deliver water, comms, critical meds to those stranded?

- Air force of drones to deliver meds
- Rednecks with 4-wheelers in mountains and Cajun Navy in flat lands to deliver water/StarLink

No one needs to go more than 2; hours without access to water and meds.

We’ve been at this since Katrina and before. Why can’t we deliver water, comms, critical meds to those stranded?

- Rednecks with 4-wheelers in mountains and Cajun Navy in flat lands to deliver water/StarLink

Cajun Navy is there!!

Our rednecks here in ETN are doing just that, they've cleared roads etc.

Food / Water / Generator drops are happening and have been happening via National Guard.

The parts of ETN and NC that were hit are "holler towns" etc. some are one road in one road out.........beside the creek / stream which turned into a raging river. Where you see the hospital in Erwin flooded, there are whole other communities up river that are probably gone for forever.

Reactions: MR_VOL and Ratvol

My observations :

The is a total and demonstrable LIE. Disgusting

Reactions: plaincityvol
Our rednecks here in ETN are doing just that, they've cleared roads etc.

Food / Water / Generator drops are happening and have been happening via National Guard.

The parts of ETN and NC that were hit are "holler towns" etc. some are one road in one road out.........beside the creek / stream which turned into a raging river. Where you see the hospital in Erwin flooded, there are whole other communities up river that are probably gone for forever.
Love to see people coming together from all walks using whatever skills, talents, resources they have.
M

Bridges are out. Roads are gone.
This is going to be a long-term operation.

Relief is coming, but routes to the affected areas are compromised in many places. Anyone who has ever worked disaster relief knows the hard part is not accumulating supplies. FEMA did a good job of having the supplies needed after Katrina, and Helene, too. The problem is getting it through a disaster zone to another disaster zone.

We spend more money on defense than ever before, but there are fewer helicopters in service to heavy lift into these communities than any time in the last 60 years. It has been trending this way since the 1st Gulf War. We have fewer, more expensive, everything, but not enough of anything to get food, water, and medicine everywhere it is needed.

VN Store

Back