Helene Response

I have a family member in Hendersonville NC we’ve not heard from. 80% power outage.

EDIT: As of 10/1 2:30 PM no word. Still great deal of outages (power, internet, roads)

Here is a link to a Red Cross web form to register missing family…

We live right above Chimney Rock, about 30 mins from Hendersonville and Asheville. It’s a total wasteland. Our mtn town is devastated and unrecognizable. My dad and I rode our bike down the mtn about 15-20 miles into Fairview where we were able to borrow a car and take it to Tennessee by way of highway 19 or 23 (I can’t remember), pretty much runs parallel to 26. We then have been shuttling supplies back to the people on the mtn who are stranded. It is surreal.

So far the the Federal help is either non existent or invisible. Inexcusable.

My observations :
-The interstate disasters will take perhaps a year to fix on 26 and more on 40. Effectively cuts off the Carolina’s from much of the Midwest US through E TN.
- Economic impact on tourism will be significant.

The need to get the infrastructure rebuilt ASAP is critical for E TN.
Not sure people realize how important the I40/26 corridors are to industry.

Chaz is a port/essentially a line to OH/IN/South East. Additionally, the train line through Erwin is also important, to Chaz is important also.

I'm sure there will be a workaround, but there will be an impact.

North Carolina still hasnt finished its part of 26. And never will. So, judging by how long it takes them to do anything it could be a decade.

TDOT is on scene, assessing. Saw them at Panera this AM. Also quoted in paper.

Issue I have is lack of any response from State of to mobilize assets and coordinate recovery efforts with assets in an organized fashion. We still have the tweedles touring the devastation.

We live right above Chimney Rock, about 30 mins from Hendersonville and Asheville. It’s a total wasteland. Our mtn town is devastated and unrecognizable. My dad and I rode our bike down the mtn about 15-20 miles into Fairview where we were able to borrow a car and take it to Tennessee by way of highway 19 or 23 (I can’t remember), pretty much runs parallel to 26. We then have been shuttling supplies back to the people on the mtn who are stranded. It is surreal.
Do you mean 19W, 'Old Asheville Hwy?'
IMG_5162.jpeg
Is it passable? If so, Id like to bring up a load of supplies.

What is needed most?

Is I26 that runs from I85 to I40 impassable to emergency vehicles to go into Asheville? Hard to figure anything current from internet searching? Probably closed to regular traffic but can supplies be routed via I26?

Is I26 that runs from I85 to I40 impassable to emergency vehicles to go into Asheville? Hard to figure anything current from internet searching? Probably closed to regular traffic but can supplies be routed via I26?
I 26 on W Side of Asheville is in ruins.

I40 is dangerous.

My wife's cousin and friends were able to get out on SC side, some say E bound is fine.

There should be no way based on what ive read to get from Asheville to Johnson City, unless its a backroad.

Not sure people realize how important the I40/26 corridors are to industry.

Chaz is a port/essentially a line to OH/IN/South East. Additionally, the train line through Erwin is also important, to Chaz is important also.

I'm sure there will be a workaround, but there will be an impact.

North Carolina still hasnt finished its part of 26. And never will. So, judging by how long it takes them to do anything it could be a decade.

TDOT is on scene, assessing. Saw them at Panera this AM. Also quoted in paper.

Issue I have is lack of any response from State of to mobilize assets and coordinate recovery efforts with assets in an organized fashion. We still have the tweedles touring the devastation.
You know I posted the same points yesterday and the welcoming committee ripped me apart for that , saying “ it’s a lie”.

Hard to imagine any one remotely knowledgable about this area does not understand your point and mine.

If the emphasis was put on fixing this in the same time frame approach the Baltimore port was addressed then we could get somewhere fast.

A friend in the transportation business told me the “ go around “ cost though Ga from 75 or up 81 to Wytheville would add a huge amount on the cost of goods traveling each way.

Last edited:
Been out of pocket (and power and internet) until last night, but not a single complaint from me in that regard. Have some friends out in the destruction zone so we've been trying to help them start to pick up the pieces, but there's literally NOTHING left. It's absolutely incomprehensible the level of damage and devastation that the rural parts of the TRI have seen. Lower part of Washington County, just a short 10-minute jump from downtown Johnson City, is devastated. Go just a little further into Unicoi or into the mountains of Carter and it's another unbelievable sight. Same for Greene County. I don't know many people around here that don't know someone that has lost everything or even worse.

I don't think people truly grasp how bad this is yet. It will be YEARS - if THAT is even possible - for things to recover.

If you can afford it, give what you can to reputable aid agencies. Donate what you can, where you can. These people and communities are likely to be forgotten when the next news cycle comes along, but they are going to need support for a long while. Staying away from the political aspects (of which there are many), but just the Volunteer spirit is needed now more than ever. (This applies equally for Western NC - stories and pictures we are hearing and seeing from people that live over there are just now making it out and it's utterly indescribable on any level that I know).

Here is the bid request for TDOT for the first wave or repairs. With photos of damage It is overwhelming if you take the time to look at the photos attached to each segment. Has a map and photos of each of the” spot repairs”. Click on the different links

TDOT is preparing for three emergency contracts to rebuild roadways damaged in Hurricane Helene (see more information below). They have released aNotice of Intent to Advertise and have tentatively scheduled the bid opening for these three projects to take place on October 25, 2024.
The three projects are:
For more information on each project, please go to our website at the following link: https://www.tn.gov/tdot/tdot-construction-division/bid-lettings/hurricane-helene-emergency-contracts.html
The red dots on each bid are where repairs required. And this is not bridge work as near as it appears

Last edited:
Reactions: SpecialKVolfan20
You cannot get to western NC or the hardest hit parts of NE Tennessee from Charlotte, NC east. The roads are shut down. I have some friends trying to get approval to take massive amounts of beef, chicken, veggies etc and several smokers and grills up there...just to feed residents and emergency workers. Working on getting approval from the NC authorities.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241001-171426_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20241001-171426_Gallery.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 8
You cannot get to western NC or the hardest hit parts of NE Tennessee from Charlotte, NC east. The roads are shut down. I have some friends trying to get approval to take massive amounts of beef, chicken, veggies etc and several smokers and grills up there...just to feed residents and emergency workers. Working on getting approval from the NC authorities.
My wife and I were planning to drive up there on Monday. Hopefully things change by then. As a former Ashevillian, and lover of these mountains I grew up in, and live in. There is no doubt in my mind what my next steps are, we are going to help.

September of 2025 for I40 reopening is what I read. Just wild. I really don’t know how they will repair it. The ground underneath is washed out. So sad for all those who lost everything.
They’ll have to cut back into the side of the mountain again.

I 26 on W Side of Asheville is in ruins.

I40 is dangerous.

My wife's cousin and friends were able to get out on SC side, some say E bound is fine.

There should be no way based on what ive read to get from Asheville to Johnson City, unless its a backroad.
The only way to Johnson city is by 19W. It’s passable

My wife and I were planning to drive up there on Monday. Hopefully things change by then. As a former Ashevillian, and lover of these mountains I grew up in, and live in. There is no doubt in my mind what my next steps are, we are going to help.
That’s awesome. Be safe. It’s still very purge-ish in the Asheville area. Hopefully things will get better soon enough.

I finally heard from friends who ended up holed up in Jonesborough for a couple of days and somehow managed to get in touch with neighbors who are cut off with two bridges out.

The trapped neighbors have found/cut a way to get ATVs, UTVs, etc in and out on single track. They're teamed up with other neighbors outside to bring supplies in and some people out who need to be out caravan style.

Never underestimate old, tough, Vietnam era vets who have a compass and can still read a terrain map the old fashioned way and follow deer trails.

You sir are the definition of a VOLUNTEER!

God’s speed!

So far the the Federal help is either non existent or invisible. Inexcusable.

My observations :
-The interstate disasters will take perhaps a year to fix on 26 and more on 40. Effectively cuts off the Carolina’s from much of the Midwest US through E TN.
- Economic impact on tourism will be significant.

The need to get the infrastructure rebuilt ASAP is critical for E TN.
I worked in relief efforts after Katrina. About all government agencies can do is move trash and write checks. Not much good for anything else. The Christian ministries did 10X more to help people get back on their feet but got little credit for it in the national media.

Main thoroughfares can be back up and running much faster than one might think with proper leadership. Just look at what DeSantis did in SW FL after hurricane Ian. This is when you see if your leaders are capable.

Reactions: Benionsopinion

VN Store

Back