Here's what I don't get...

ConantheVolbarian

What is best in life? Winning by fiddy!
So we go into Norman favored by around a touchdown and won by 10 and now so many in the media are saying Oklahoma isn't very good. Just to give an example, I heard Jimmy Hyams say Oklahoma will probably end up losing at least 5 games.

I genuinely don't get how people could buy that narrative. This game played out like Vegas and all the talking heads predicted. Oklahoma ended up being what we thought they would be. A very talented team with an elite defense that is still figuring things out on offense, but again they still have talent on that side of the ball.

So how does a 10-point loss to the #6 team all of a sudden make Oklahoma a team struggling to get to a bowl? Explain that to me lmao

Also, I'll admit I was one of the ones who was frustrated with the coaches going conservative even though I saw the wisdom in it after the fact. I honestly think a big reason a lot of us were getting anxious was because we fully realize that the media will use any excuse to shaft us of a playoff spot if we end up on the playoff contention bubble with two losses. There's already a precedent for that bs. Ohio State, Georgia, and Alabama get a pass for close losses to inferior teams, but Tennessee wins a game by 10 they were expected to win by a touchdown and media geeks are downplaying it and discrediting it. But it hasn't affected our ranking (yet).

Sooners got SCREWED for their first year schedule in SEC play. Which is why ALL the bravado posted here by Okies was SO hilarious. They (those posters) were counting Tennessee in the Win Column. NOW…I think they’ll be.LUCKY to finish with 6 Wins.

But I‘m sure some of those SAME Sooner $hitkickers will be back next year with BIG talk before coming to Neyland…Huh…come to think of it…it’s SIMILAR to Tennessee fans EVERY YEAR before Florida…and 9 times out of 10…Florida kicks Tennessee in the teeth. Here’s to hoping some of those years can be behind us…hopefully…BUT…Florida ALWAYS seems to “Live Rent FREE” in Tennessee players/coaches heads.

Maybe moving forward…Tennessee has set up living in Okies heads…for now!

Called this way before the game. It had all the makings of we should win and if we do, nothing really said. (But plenty good has been) and that OU wasn’t as good some thought since the struggled all year. We lose and all hope is lost. We had nothing to gain and everything to lose in that game.

OU's schedule is set up in a way that they could be legit Top 15 team and still lose 6 games. Ole Miss, Mizzou, LSU, Texas, Bama and us. However, I think Venables is a good coach and they will end up winning some good games .. likely upset Ole Miss and Texas imo. Their defense is legit and offense will click at some point. Look at it this way, if Vols had trouble putting points on them, not a lot will.

OU's schedule is set up in a way that they could be legit Top 15 team and still lose 6 games. Ole Miss, Mizzou, LSU, Texas, Bama and us. However, I think Venables is a good coach and they will end up winning some good games .. likely upset Ole Miss and Texas imo. Their defense is legit and offense will click at some point. Look at it this way, if Vols had trouble putting points on them, not a lot will.
Don't believe they will lose to Ole Miss or TX. Their (obviously) biggest problem is going to be the offense but I'm not so sure how deep their defense is either. A lot easier on the D when the field is slick.

Oklahoma can absolutely beat Alabama.
They will beat Missou.
Ole Miss is a push rn.

Texas is better this year, but so is OUs defense.
OU wins 9 games this year.

First off on the goalpost moving, of course the goalposts move the first few weeks of the season. Thats how this works, we all say what we think teams will be and adjust as they show their actual skill on the field.

Take TN, what 14th with an outside shot at making the playoffs, now 5th and pretty much a lock in the playoffs and a real chance at winning it all. Is that not also moving the goalposts? Ive heard no complaining about those posts being moved cuz TN has proven their worth on the field.

Anyone that has seen NCST play has to say theyre terrible. They play bad football but TN did what a good team is supposed to with a terrible team.

OU has a solid to great D with a struggling Offense. Benched their QB, and opened up the QB competition. Elite teams usually dont have that issue do they? If they dont fix their offense I think they will be a 7 win team. If they get some production on that side of the ball they could win 9+.

Once again, TN did what they were posed to do to a team like them. Not moving the goalpost just to $hit on TN, just calling what teams have shown on the field. TN is a solid contender and could beat any team in the nation on any given day regardless of how the teams theyve played rank. Just have all the pieces and you can see it in their play and i couldnt be more proud of our program.

Reactions: GlennTenn
It's not us, it's them, specifically their O. Media expectations for OU's O were based aound Jackson and the rebuilt OU OL performing at a much higher level, now that notion is gone the pendulum has swung.

Their D can get them a W maybe 2 but their O has to perform and when/if Hawkins proves he can move the team then pendulum will move again.

they just keep moving the target. First NC State was good, we blow them out. Then OU is really good, we win by 10 (and it was not that close), Just keep hating, the Vols will keep proving you wrong.
My advice is whenever goal post movers appear, turn off the sound, put on your earphone, and listen to this instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: GlennTenn
It’s not our fault we’ve been conditioned to hate a prevent defense. We haven’t had a defense like this in years. Even then, when Chavis would go to the mustang package, leads would evaporate.

Every SEC team plays either OK or Tex this year. OK got all the tough games except Georgia which Texas got.

Texas being Texas

I think @ Texas A&M could be tough for Texas as well and Arkansas is a tricky one for them. Both are historic rivals of Texas and will get up for the game. Texas actually got more rivals back by joining the SEC (which is funny people talking about teams losing rivals in realignment).

Anyone watch Venables entire post game interview? He knows that they are in trouble. (his head was down almost the entire 18 minutes) He has already named the backup QB the starter. This is an 18 year old kid getting ready to face the SEC. Rutrow! Venables is a smart guy and they might struggle looking for that 4th Win, even though they play Auburn this week. And of course many pundits will poo poo Oklahoma, as they clearly have other dogs in the race and need to downplay the importance of our powerful showing in Norman. Go Vols!!

1727360642243.png

Reactions: Smokey19rt
they just keep moving the target. First NC State was good, we blow them out. Then OU is really good, we win by 10 (and it was not that close), Just keep hating, the Vols will keep proving you wrong.
Nc State has not done us any favors. Scraping by WCU, Beating La Tech by 10 and then getting dog walked by Clemson. I never expected NC State vs Northern Illinois to be of any consequence to our season, but we really need State to win this weekend. It makes our win look better and it makes the case for a potential 1 or 2 loss Notre Dame team getting into the CFP that much more difficult.

Nc State has not done us any favors. Scraping by WCU, Beating La Tech by 10 and then getting dog walked by Clemson. I never expected NC State vs Northern Illinois to be of any consequence to our season, but we really need State to win this weekend. It makes our win look better and it makes the case for a potential 1 or 2 loss Notre Dame team getting into the CFP that much more difficult.
Dog Walked...I like that.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14

VN Store

Back