Here's what I don't get...

OU's schedule is set up in a way that they could be legit Top 15 team and still lose 6 games. Ole Miss, Mizzou, LSU, Texas, Bama and us. However, I think Venables is a good coach and they will end up winning some good games .. likely upset Ole Miss and Texas imo. Their defense is legit and offense will click at some point. Look at it this way, if Vols had trouble putting points on them, not a lot will.

It all depends on the QB situation. If Arnold is toast, they're depending on a raw true freshman, and that is a recipe for major inconsistency.

To me, Venables screwed up in the way he handled the Arnold situation. He let a solid starter walk and handed the ball to his 5-star, and in one game may have likely lost him for good. With that OL, they are going to struggle to win games that their defense doesn't dominate, which will make beating teams like Texas, Ole Miss, and Alabama close to impossible.

Arnold played poorly but he had been playing poorly all season.

The last fumble that was called a lateral, that wasn't even an option on that play according to Venables himself. Wasn't the first time something like that had happened either.

Venables probably stuck with Arnold for too long because his options were so limited.

Oklahoma still has road games at Ole Miss, Missouri, and LSU. They also have the Red River against Texas and a home game against Bama. I don’t think it will happen, but 6-6 is a legit possibility. Honestly, they got seriously screwed by the SEC with that schedule.
They may win against Mizzou & LSU with that defense. LSU will give up a bunch of points.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
So we go into Norman favored by around a touchdown and won by 10 and now so many in the media are saying Oklahoma isn't very good. Just to give an example, I heard Jimmy Hyams say Oklahoma will probably end up losing at least 5 games.

I genuinely don't get how people could buy that narrative. This game played out like Vegas and all the talking heads predicted. Oklahoma ended up being what we thought they would be. A very talented team with an elite defense that is still figuring things out on offense, but again they still have talent on that side of the ball.

So how does a 10-point loss to the #6 team all of a sudden make Oklahoma a team struggling to get to a bowl? Explain that to me lmao

Also, I'll admit I was one of the ones who was frustrated with the coaches going conservative even though I saw the wisdom in it after the fact. I honestly think a big reason a lot of us were getting anxious was because we fully realize that the media will use any excuse to shaft us of a playoff spot if we end up on the playoff contention bubble with two losses. There's already a precedent for that bs. Ohio State, Georgia, and Alabama get a pass for close losses to inferior teams, but Tennessee wins a game by 10 they were expected to win by a touchdown and media geeks are downplaying it and discrediting it. But it hasn't affected our ranking (yet).
Stop listening to Hyams. He doesn‘t know anymore than you or me.

Reactions: sami and chuckiepoo
Questions…

Who has Texas played that makes them so awesome? Do you think like ESPN did and likely still does that Michigan is so great? Also, who has Ole Miss played that is so awesome?

The same question could be asked a few more times about teams mentioned here and some that have not.

Oklahoma has a really good defense....when lined up against a Vol offense that they spent an entire off-season preparing for, with a coach who is very familiar with Heupel's scheme. They intended for this to be their "we belong" moment in the sec, first sec game against an all time brand. I just think it's going to hamper their chances against everyone else. As the old saying goes, "they blew their load".

So we go into Norman favored by around a touchdown and won by 10 and now so many in the media are saying Oklahoma isn't very good. Just to give an example, I heard Jimmy Hyams say Oklahoma will probably end up losing at least 5 games.

I genuinely don't get how people could buy that narrative. This game played out like Vegas and all the talking heads predicted. Oklahoma ended up being what we thought they would be. A very talented team with an elite defense that is still figuring things out on offense, but again they still have talent on that side of the ball.

So how does a 10-point loss to the #6 team all of a sudden make Oklahoma a team struggling to get to a bowl? Explain that to me lmao

Also, I'll admit I was one of the ones who was frustrated with the coaches going conservative even though I saw the wisdom in it after the fact. I honestly think a big reason a lot of us were getting anxious was because we fully realize that the media will use any excuse to shaft us of a playoff spot if we end up on the playoff contention bubble with two losses. There's already a precedent for that bs. Ohio State, Georgia, and Alabama get a pass for close losses to inferior teams, but Tennessee wins a game by 10 they were expected to win by a touchdown and media geeks are downplaying it and discrediting it. But it hasn't affected our ranking (yet).
Why do you care what the media thinks? They don’t select the CFP playoff teams. They won’t shaft us of anything.

Reactions: Boca Vol
Oklahoma is in big big trouble with that offense. Ya the Vols have a good defense but so too will Bama and Texas and they also have a couple other tough road game. They may not lose 5 games but a minimum of 3 losses is almost inevitable if they can't fix their offense.

Reactions: Boca Vol
Stop listening to Hyams. He doesn‘t know anymore than you or me.

This x 1000, and I would say the same for any media hack. The opinions of fans that pay attention, know the game, and have a shred of objectivity are just as viable as any of these media people. The only differences are they usually have agendas and an ability to get clicks and views.

Last edited:
This x 1000, and I would say the same for any media hack. The opinions of fans that pay attention, know the game, and have a shred of objectivity are just as viable as any of these media people. The only differences are they usually have agendas and an ability to get clicks and views.
Yes sir, brother. We are in total agreement. The idea that coaches give information they’re not supposed to be giving to media is pretty crazy.

Jimmy has been wrong multiple times

Oklahoma still has road games at Ole Miss, Missouri, and LSU. They also have the Red River against Texas and a home game against Bama. I don’t think it will happen, but 6-6 is a legit possibility. Honestly, they got seriously screwed by the SEC with that schedule.

Came to say this. They are a solid team, but their schedule is especially brutal. I also think with our schedule 12-0, 11-1, 10-2 or even 9-3 get us a playoff spot. I don't think that all of the Tennessee hate in the world would get us booted to the outside so long as we finish with any of the above. Hoping that we can get a home game in the CFP though. Could you imagine Neyland hosting a night playoff game? It would be a straight pit of despair for our opponent.

I think @ Texas A&M could be tough for Texas as well and Arkansas is a tricky one for them. Both are historic rivals of Texas and will get up for the game. Texas actually got more rivals back by joining the SEC (which is funny people talking about teams losing rivals in realignment).

Now they could pick up an annual game with Baylor or Texas Tech as an OOC game if they wanted.

What’s even more of a screw job is that they have to play those exact 8 teams again in 2025 only with home team’s inverted. So they get doubly screwed and teams like Texas, Missouri, and Ole Miss were given great big sloppy ones for two seasons.

Oklahoma can absolutely beat Alabama.
They will beat Missou.
Ole Miss is a push rn.

Texas is better this year, but so is OUs defense.
OU wins 9 games this year.
OU can beat LSU also, I don't care where it is. LSU was overhyped in preseason, had terrible D last year and did little to upgrade in offseason, then had bad luck to lose their best DL guy Guillory, then best LB, Perkins.

Oklahoma can absolutely beat Alabama.
They will beat Missou.
Ole Miss is a push rn.

Texas is better this year, but so is OUs defense.
OU wins 9 games this year.

LOL

Venables has been proven to be a great DC. He has yet to prove he has the chops to be a very good HC, he's midrange at best at this point. He'll be lucky to win 6 games this season.

When we beat Alabama folks in the national media will begin to say “this isn’t the nick saban Alabama squad we are used to, they might drop a few more”

None of it matters they’ve got to sell clicks to their brain rotted audience

VN Store

Back