Heupel Can’t Recruit

vol4him

How I laugh to think how many in here (probably a few trolls) said Heupel couldn’t recruit. Well, let’s see, that’s two 5-star QBs in three years. Fulmer was a great recruiter and even he never did that. Time to officially lay this myth to rest. Time to join the Heup train!!

These last few weeks have been fun to watch. Between their portal pulls and HS recruiting, it really is impressive to see considering UT really has only had one good season in 2 decades.

The next step is to get UT into the CFP. Heup does that and it could be on indefinitely.

How I laugh to think how many in here (probably a few trolls) said Heupel couldn’t recruit. Well, let’s see, that’s two 5-star QBs in three years. Fulmer was a great recruiter and even he never did that. Time to officially lay this myth to rest. Time to join the Heup train!!
Excuse me, you say the Hype Train?

1705949417820.png

I appreciate CJH and what he's brought to the program. And getting 2 5* qb's is a big "get". I still say we only compete with the Georgia and Bama's when our defense gets the same 5 or 4 stars and we can win without our offense having to score 60 points a game . Yes, I see some of the transfers on defense and it looks promising, but we can't compete with the defense we've had the last few years giving up automatic 1st downs

I appreciate CJH and what he's brought to the program. And getting 2 5* qb's is a big "get". I still say we only compete with the Georgia and Bama's when our defense gets the same 5 or 4 stars and we can win without our offense having to score 60 points a game . Yes, I see some of the transfers on defense and it looks promising, but we can't compete with the defense we've had the last few years giving up automatic 1st downs
This... I feel like defense still wins championships. Thank god we have Garner bringing in all of these quality dlineman.

I don't recall when the star system came in but CPF did have Peyton Manning and Brandon Stewart come in the same year. I think both would have been 5*'s for sure. But I'm excited that CJH has been able to bring in top QB talent. What QB wouldn't want to play for Josh?

Social media exists to give a forum for people to give their opinion, but if your opinion turns out to be wrong someone has to post about how funny it is that you were wrong and really rub it in. There seems to be a human need to say "I told you so, I was right all along, but more importantly, you were wrong."

Our defense will be the best he has produced since he came here. With his recruiting, it will continue to get better.

I don't recall when the star system came in but CPF did have Peyton Manning and Brandon Stewart come in the same year. I think both would have been 5*'s for sure. But I'm excited that CJH has been able to bring in top QB talent. What QB wouldn't want to play for Josh?

Yea, you have to go back to the '94 season to find a QB room compared to our future room. The '94 room had Jerry Colquitt, Todd Helton, Payton Manning, and Brandon Stewart. It's a shame and sad story how Colquitt's career ended. From what I remember, word was he was poised to have great senior year.

Up to now I think its fair to say that CJH hasn't recruited on the same level as the more elite teams in the country. That's not a crack at him, it's just reality. I think we're getting there but it's going to be a longer ramp up than many want to admit. Look at Michigan. How many years did it take Harbaugh to put that team together? I think we're looking at a similar trajectory. We are getting there. But we can't be doing things like whiffing on entire Oline classes like we did a couple of years ago. We're DAMN lucky that so many of our COVID senior linemen decided to come back. Without that we wouldve been screwed! Our secondary and LB play has got to drastically get better as well.

Last edited:
It wasn’t a Heupel problem it was a Tennessee program problem. You can’t be a steaming dumpster fire for two decades and expect kids to immediately believe you’ve righted the ship. Fact is most kids know their Junior year down to a few choices where they’re going. Tennessee just wasn’t on many kids radar until Heupel’s second season and the splash of the rumored NIL Nico got. Cannot overstate how good White and Heupel have done in their short time here; fans are unrealistically optimistic again and that’s great.

Scoring points without stopping the other team is not a long term strategy for success. Lincoln Riley has had horrible defenses at OU and USC and it caught up with him. Josh is a better head coach, IMO, and knows that he needs a defense. Vols are closer than they were before JH arrived, but still have a ways to go.

I think where people would still give caution would be how it seems at a few positions there has been a lack of development to overtake several scrubs of Pruitts. I get that's not the same as purely recruiting (you could say transfers are part of recruitment) but it's year 4 and I'm still concerned about having dudes at OL and secondary. I feel like there's been some bandaids still being applied.
With that being said I think he's doing pretty well and as long as the bandaids produce great seasons I don't care haha

Okay, point made.

But...if only he would shave, wear Gucci and go vegan for juuuust a few months, the program would really surge!

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT

VN Store

Back