Heupel press conference to open fall practice

My favorite part is hearing a player's name mentioned over and over and how unstoppable they are only to never hear the name again once the season starts (until they hit the portal).

I understand the excitement and don't fault anyone at all. At my age the pre-season just doesn't do anything for me. Bring on opening day.
Boo! Booooo! Rubbish! Filth! Slime! Boooooo!

My favorite part is hearing a player's name mentioned over and over and how unstoppable they are only to never hear the name again once the season starts (until they hit the portal).

I understand the excitement and don't fault anyone at all. At my age the pre-season just doesn't do anything for me. Bring on opening day.
Remember the "good Ole days" when you didn't have a clue about 90% of the roster until you bought a program at the first home game? Also, you had no clue who most of the assistant coaches were. Now if the team nutritionist speaks there's a 10 page thread in here about it!

Yup.

Like the O&W game...the focus is on newcomers because they are new...but rarely does the hype turn into immediate dough.

Have completely blocked out Spring and Fall practices. In every direction it seems without useful indicators unless there is just across the board dread over a unit...see Pruitt's secondaries talk.

Remember the "good Ole days" when you didn't have a clue about 90% of the roster until you bought a program at the first home game? Also, you had no clue who most of the assistant coaches were. Now if the team nutritionist speaks there's a 10 page thread in here about it!
Media guides bought my first one in 1969

The word for the day is: intentional.

Heupel took a pretty pointed shot at the second reporter asking the diva question about Nico. "If you were a 5* we'd be worried about diva behavior......" I like it.

The cough was because he aspirated a bit of saliva while answering the NC recruiting question. Nothing like his likely allergic cough when he first got here.

Also, there seems to be a hairstyle change, maybe some thinning or something, but I'd tear my hair completely out with his job.

If this analysis seems superficial, it's a pre-season, pre first practice news conference, I expected and got lots of "coachspeak" and precious little substance.

Awesome. And that # 😳
I’m pretty sure this guy is my favorite player….
I love Pearce, West, Nico, Cam but this kid…
He’s something else.

Telander is the total package at LB.
He’s
- 6’2 240 lbs and is always in position.
He can blitz and he knows the defense!

He’s a strong leader too. Coaches son, and honestly he makes me not even miss Sammie Brown.

-Not sure there's a better time to be a Vol.

-We never set a ceiling on what we could be.

-On Nico... A guy that came in here and wanted to earn it. How he works, how he competes, his consistency has been a huge part of the trust, love and belief our players have in him.

-Recruiting the state of North Carolina is big for us. It's a border state and we've been intentional there. James Pearce is one success story.

-Like what running backs did in the spring. A couple of guys missed spring ball and their growth will be important.

-You rebuild your team every single year. Now you're in the last phase of the offseason and we have to win every rep every day. A lot of growth needs to take place this time of year.

-Offense too a step back last year, a lot of that was red zone efficiency. We have to come back and be smarter and more efficient in that area.

-Lance Heard did a great job in spring and really grew. He's a really young player. Cam Seldon has done a great job during rehab, he works extremely hard. We hope to have him healthy early in the season.

-This is the deepest wide receiver room we've had. Just sheer numbers. We've been a little short there. Young guys have had more time to develop.

-The success we've had in baseball and basketball helps us on the recruiting side.

-A lot of new faces at TE. A young face in Ethan Davis. He's a dramatically different player and body. It's another position we're deeper at then when we got here. The group has really grown through the summer.

-Thought things slowed down for Nico in the bowl game. He's been very urgent and worked hard. He's a young player. We expect him to play at a really high level right from the jump but there will be a growth and maturation phase as well.

-What's been key to roster management? It starts with the athletic department and administration. Being smart and having a plan. You look at what we've been able to do on the recruiting side. Our brand is continuing to get stronger.

-This is the most mature group on incoming players that we've had in our program.

Heupel looks healthier, like he has dropped a few pounds. Good for him - that job has to be a invitation to cardiovascular issues.

Yup.

Like the O&W game...the focus is on newcomers because they are new...but rarely does the hype turn into immediate dough.

Have completely blocked out Spring and Fall practices. In every direction it seems without useful indicators unless there is just across the board dread over a unit...see Pruitt's secondaries talk.

Sadly, the only real information that we ever seem to get out of spring and fall practices is injury reports.

I was about to post the same thing. To me he looks like he’s dropped 30 or more pounds. He looks a lot healthier.
He's probably taking Ozempic. My wife's doctor put her on it nearly a year ago and she has lost almost 50 pounds! She's slimmer now than when we got married and 10 pounds from being at her weight when she graduated high school.

Reactions: VolRage
The thing I like about Huepel the most is he doesn't downplay expectations. He knows he has a great team and isn't running away from the expectations. Complete opposite of Butch Jones who was a mental midget. He would try and downplay expectations at every turn despite having a talent laden team.

Reactions: LittleVol
The thing I like about Huepel the most is he doesn't downplay expectations. He knows he has a great team and isn't running away from the expectations. Complete opposite of Butch Jones who was a mental midget. He would try and downplay expectations at every turn despite having a talent laden team.

I guess it depends on the coach. Spurrier used that tactic too. Worked out pretty well for him.

Tim Banks likes how much bigger and stronger 5-star freshman edge Jordan Ross has gotten since arriving on campus.

He likes transfer DL Jaxson Moi.

Boo Carter has great energy. He's always going 100mph.

Excited about Jermod McCoy and Jalen McMurray.

Banks is pretty sure Pili is 100% healthy.

Anxious to see if Telander picks up where he left off last year.

Christian Charles is the x-factor. He's had a lot of back luck. We have him at safety right now but he can play any of the three db positions.
Boo Carter, goes 100MPH?

Reminds me of someone else, no 14?

Man that would be a welcome addition.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Tim Banks likes how much bigger and stronger 5-star freshman edge Jordan Ross has gotten since arriving on campus.

Christian Charles is the x-factor. He's had a lot of back luck. We have him at safety right now but he can play any of the three db positions.
Great info. Thanks for the summary.

While we pick apart and fret a bit about our less proven units such as the secondary or even RBs, both of those units for us are in much better shape than the counterparts at LSU.

Last edited:

-Not sure there's a better time to be a Vol.

-We never set a ceiling on what we could be.

-On Nico... A guy that came in here and wanted to earn it. How he works, how he competes, his consistency has been a huge part of the trust, love and belief our players have in him.

-Recruiting the state of North Carolina is big for us. It's a border state and we've been intentional there. James Pearce is one success story.

-Like what running backs did in the spring. A couple of guys missed spring ball and their growth will be important.

-You rebuild your team every single year. Now you're in the last phase of the offseason and we have to win every rep every day. A lot of growth needs to take place this time of year.

-Offense too a step back last year, a lot of that was red zone efficiency. We have to come back and be smarter and more efficient in that area.

-Lance Heard did a great job in spring and really grew. He's a really young player. Cam Seldon has done a great job during rehab, he works extremely hard. We hope to have him healthy early in the season.

-This is the deepest wide receiver room we've had. Just sheer numbers. We've been a little short there. Young guys have had more time to develop.

-The success we've had in baseball and basketball helps us on the recruiting side.

-A lot of new faces at TE. A young face in Ethan Davis. He's a dramatically different player and body. It's another position we're deeper at then when we got here. The group has really grown through the summer.

-Thought things slowed down for Nico in the bowl game. He's been very urgent and worked hard. He's a young player. We expect him to play at a really high level right from the jump but there will be a growth and maturation phase as well.

-What's been key to roster management? It starts with the athletic department and administration. Being smart and having a plan. You look at what we've been able to do on the recruiting side. Our brand is continuing to get stronger.

-This is the most mature group on incoming players that we've had in our program.

Barnes and Heupel both LOVE to recruit in the Tar Heel State.

Reactions: LittleVol

VN Store

Back