hiccup in an NIL causing a midseason departure; could it spread? (this does not involve UT)

@1RBFjr

That’s a terrible idea. What time?
From Front Office Sports:

UNLV quarterback Matthew Sluka is leaving the program over an NIL dispute, an unprecedented midseason move already reverberating across the college sports world. What are Sluka’s options, how is UNLV proceeding, and could other college athletes use leverage to their advantage? We lay out a complex saga with broad ramifications.
David Rumsey and Colin Salao
proxy

Jay Biggerstaff-Imagn Images
Details of UNLV quarterback Matthew Sluka’s decision to sit out the remainder of the season due to a monetary NIL (name, image, and likeness) dispute are still trickling out, but one thing is clear: College sports coaches, players, administrators, and agents are eagerly awaiting what happens next.

Sluka, who transferred from Holy Cross this year, announced late Tuesday he will turn this season—what would have been his last of NCAA eligibility—into a redshirt year, despite leading the Rebels to a 3–0 start while passing for 318 yards and six touchdowns and rushing for 253 yards and another score. “I committed to UNLV based on certain representations that were made to me, which were not upheld after I enrolled,” he wrote on social media.

UNLV’s athletic department issued a statement Wednesday afternoon, saying it interpreted financial demands from Sluka’s agent as a violation of NCAA pay-for-play rules, as well as Nevada law.
Sluka’s next steps are unclear, but he would be able to transfer and play one season for another school in 2025, when and where he could potentially make more money. The timing was key for Sluka because NCAA redshirt rules allow players to retain a year of eligibility if they play four games or fewer.

Will More Disgruntled Players Follow?​

Will this start a new trend of players sitting out midseason due to NIL? That’s what was on everyone’s mind in the aftermath of Sluka’s situation.

Sluka has particular leverage, given UNLV’s limited financial resources and recruiting depth as a member of the Mountain West Conference. If he knows there will be more money available to him in a few months, there’s nothing stopping him from pursuing that path. Whether a star player at a Power 4 program does something similar still remains to be seen, but Sluka could set a precedent for players putting pressure on schools during the season.

The Sluka-UNLV situation marks yet another new frontier in the complicated workings of NIL. Earlier this year, former Florida quarterback commit Jaden Rashada sued Gators coach Billy Napier and two others over $13.85 million in NIL money he said he was assured but never received. That suit has not been settled.

From Front Office Sports:

UNLV quarterback Matthew Sluka is leaving the program over an NIL dispute, an unprecedented midseason move already reverberating across the college sports world. What are Sluka’s options, how is UNLV proceeding, and could other college athletes use leverage to their advantage? We lay out a complex saga with broad ramifications.
David Rumsey and Colin Salao
proxy

Jay Biggerstaff-Imagn Images
Details of UNLV quarterback Matthew Sluka’s decision to sit out the remainder of the season due to a monetary NIL (name, image, and likeness) dispute are still trickling out, but one thing is clear: College sports coaches, players, administrators, and agents are eagerly awaiting what happens next.

Sluka, who transferred from Holy Cross this year, announced late Tuesday he will turn this season—what would have been his last of NCAA eligibility—into a redshirt year, despite leading the Rebels to a 3–0 start while passing for 318 yards and six touchdowns and rushing for 253 yards and another score. “I committed to UNLV based on certain representations that were made to me, which were not upheld after I enrolled,” he wrote on social media.

UNLV’s athletic department issued a statement Wednesday afternoon, saying it interpreted financial demands from Sluka’s agent as a violation of NCAA pay-for-play rules, as well as Nevada law.
Sluka’s next steps are unclear, but he would be able to transfer and play one season for another school in 2025, when and where he could potentially make more money. The timing was key for Sluka because NCAA redshirt rules allow players to retain a year of eligibility if they play four games or fewer.

Will More Disgruntled Players Follow?​

Will this start a new trend of players sitting out midseason due to NIL? That’s what was on everyone’s mind in the aftermath of Sluka’s situation.

Sluka has particular leverage, given UNLV’s limited financial resources and recruiting depth as a member of the Mountain West Conference. If he knows there will be more money available to him in a few months, there’s nothing stopping him from pursuing that path. Whether a star player at a Power 4 program does something similar still remains to be seen, but Sluka could set a precedent for players putting pressure on schools during the season.

The Sluka-UNLV situation marks yet another new frontier in the complicated workings of NIL. Earlier this year, former Florida quarterback commit Jaden Rashada sued Gators coach Billy Napier and two others over $13.85 million in NIL money he said he was assured but never received. That suit has not been settled.

Spreading quickly

Reactions: chuckiepoo
These kids are learning real world lessons right now. Get it in writing. I 100% support Sluka. Glad he's doing what he did. Kids are being lied to all over the country. Glad they are starting to fight back.

BTW. I personally know the named booster at the core of the Florida lawsuit. He was a vendor of mine in the past and I have friends that have worked for him. He has a name for not delivering what he promises. I believe everything the kid in the lawwsuit says.

The problem is they pretty much force these "kids" into signing deals with no representation and put pressure on them such as "sign now or the deal goes away. or all your teammates signed the deal." I had to step in on a couple of Kirby's deals to make sure he was getting a fair deal and the wording on it. It is not right what they do to these kids. Some of the deals are strictly one sided and not well negotiated on behalf of the players.

These kids are going to grow up real fast. They're going to learn the need for a good attorney and/or agent. They're also going to learn the cost of those professionals. Many are going to quickly learn the real cost of taxation. I imagine most NIL deals are 1099 income and not W-2 deductions. Having to write that check and make estimated quartly payments will be an eye opener for many. For others, many will learn what IRS penalties are all about. So the next lesson is the real cost of a good CPA.... And the higher cost of not having a good CPA.

ETA..... Forgot about SS and Medicare taxes. What an education these young men are about to get.

The problem is they pretty much force these "kids" into signing deals with no representation and put pressure on them such as "sign now or the deal goes away. or all your teammates signed the deal." I had to step in on a couple of Kirby's deals to make sure he was getting a fair deal and the wording on it. It is not right what they do to these kids. Some of the deals are strictly one sided and not well negotiated on behalf of the players.
This will spurn a whole new arena for lawyers. Shame that HS Seniors, who don't have financial acumen, or in many cases, proper guidance, are rolling the dice w/ what ppl tell them. The damage done by universities to themselves by not handling things in an ethical and legal and transparent manner will set themselves back years. That being said, a rampant "in season sit out" will do damage to the sport.

Glad UT seems to be doing things the right way w/ our collective...along with an aligned White/JH...just seems like we've really got our act together in a way that will keep us in a sustainable position at the top for years to come.

Many athletes don’t know what they are getting into.*

As others have written, many athletes don’t have a built-in support group that can help them out with collectives, nor do they know who to call for assistance. NIL collectives are a business but many athletes and their parents aren’t thinking about them that way.

I’ve read contracts, advised, and negotiated. One of my least favorite provisions I’ve read is that once the athlete gets locked in at a dollar amount (for example, $1000 a month), if that athlete goes out and surprises everyone and plays like Michael Jordan and the money starts pouring in because people want their businesses associated with him, he is still only going to get $1000 a month. Or, if the athlete goes out totally on their own and lands a new deal that brings in more money, the athlete doesn’t get a bump up and will still get $1000 a month.

* I am aware of a collective that has contracts with every single member of some teams, including those athletes who most fans have never heard of and will get very limited playing time. That, IMO, is great. I don’t mean to imply that collectives are all bad, but they aren’t all good, either.

Reactions: txbo and chuckiepoo
Many athletes don’t know what they are getting into.*

As others have written, many athletes don’t have a built-in support group that can help them out with collectives, nor do they know who to call for assistance. NIL collectives are a business but many athletes and their parents aren’t thinking about them that way.

I’ve read contracts, advised, and negotiated. One of my least favorite provisions I’ve read is that once the athlete gets locked in at a dollar amount (for example, $1000 a month), if that athlete goes out and surprises everyone and plays like Michael Jordan and the money starts pouring in because people want their businesses associated with him, he is still only going to get $1000 a month. Or, if the athlete goes out totally on their own and lands a new deal that brings in more money, the athlete doesn’t get a bump up and will still get $1000 a month.

* I am aware of a collective that has contracts with every single member of some teams, including those athletes who most fans have never heard of and will get very limited playing time. That, IMO, is great. I don’t mean to imply that collectives are all bad, but they aren’t all good, either.
Basically, an athlete should never sign a “standard” contract.

So if the kid got nothing and was promised something then I would be annoyed too. The hard part is outside of Colorado how many teams will take a chance on a kid like this who left just because of NIL. I wouldn’t unless he was a program changing talent.

Basically, an athlete should never sign a “standard” contract.
The problem is they strongarm these kids by putting them all in one room and say you either sign it or not. So everyone signs it. I finally told Kirby you are not to sign anything unless I read it first. You may miss something but you won't get pressured into signing something you should not.

So if the kid got nothing and was promised something then I would be annoyed too. The hard part is outside of Colorado how many teams will take a chance on a kid like this who left just because of NIL. I wouldn’t unless he was a program changing talent.
Most programs know that kids are being lied to all over the country.

The bigger black eye is on the program that lied. No recruit is going to trust that they will get what they were promised.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Two different versions of this story. Which one do you believe? The school or the kid?
Prolly somewhere in the middle. Interjecting an agent into the mix after winning two games? All bets are off at that point. The court of public media swings into play. Really raw situation for all parties and team.

IMG_2379.jpeg
Why wouldn't UNLV's collective find $100,000 to keep starting quarterback Matthew Sluka happy amid the program's first 3-0 start since 1984? Hajj-Malik Williams provided the answer on Saturday.
In UNLV's first game since an NIL dispute made it the talk of college football, Williams showed that the Rebels may be just fine without Sluka. The newly minted UNLV starter passed for three touchdowns and ran for another while guiding UNLV to an 59-14 win over Fresno State.
The outcome cemented UNLV as the team to beat in the Group of Five, and the manner of victory suggested the Rebels' College Football Playoff aspirations are just as real with Williams at QB as they were with Sluka. While the Rebels' defense and special teams did plenty to help, the offense rose to new heights
To be clear, Fresno State's passing defense is a wreck. But UNLV's passing offense had also been a wreck during the season's first three games, and it looked much smoother with Williams leading the offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: @1RBFjr

VN Store

Back