High school transfer in Tennessee mid-season has just happened from Cleveland to Bradley!

JacketVol

Go Vols!
A QB who played this Friday but was not the starter at Cleveland has transferred to rival Bradley whose starter went down with a knee injury this Friday as well.

The box has been opened for kids to leave during the season when not starting to seek an opportunity elsewhere. The portal is open for business everywhere.

I know nothing of the details of the circumstances in Cleveland, only that this is a classic, crosstown rivalry. But let me offer another perspective, in broad terms of purpose and principle, to see if we can shed light on the story from a different (but not the only) angle.

What is the purpose, the utility, of a public high school? Is it not to improve students through classroom education, special interest activities (like band, chorus, drill teams, various clubs, etc.), and competitive opportunities in various sports?

If, by switching schools a student improves his learning potential in a competitive opportunity AND the school he's going to benefits... is this not a good outcome?

Next, is this a situation that is so artificial, so contrived, that it does not reflect real-world conditions, and therefore does not prepare students for life beyond high school? Or does it reflect the real world for which they are being prepared, whether in athletics or business?
------
As I stated above, I don't know the circumstances or the people involved. I can imagine ways in which this could be a healthy, win/win situation. I can also imagine circumstances in which it would be very dysfunctional and harmful, both to the individual player and to the community as a precedent.

But I do know the two rivals will meet on the field October 25th, and the outcome of that the boys will decide.

Doesn’t his family have to change addresses?
They did recently move, or at least I think they did based on what the news said this morning. I was half paying attention while getting ready.

Seems likely that the family was granted a waiver for the QB to stay at Cleveland because he was a senior. Then, when the opportunity presented itself, they transferred to the district they live in.

Last edited:
Reactions: BruisedOrange
Doesn’t his family have to change addresses?
Don't think so.. For years the better middle school players in the south part of our county (Hardin Co. and being across the river" have gone to/been recruited to another school in another county (McNairy). This same school did the same within there own county. (during this time the recruiting school made the state finals several times). In the past few years action has been taken to stop this (at the TSSAA level I think). Still goes on, but not to the extent as in the past.

I thought Bradley County had open enrollment and students could choose between the three high schools and attend their preference? Didn’t think where you lived inside Bradley mattered? Maybe someone who lives in Bradley County can clarify?

I remember watching the series Friday Night Lights and a star QB from Louisiana (Hurricane Katrina) was recruited to Dillon, played one game and was a diva who got benched during the first game and then transferred the next week to another Texas school they ended up playing for the state title. I remember thinking that was some Hollywood fiction! 😳

Don't think so.. For years the better middle school players in the south part of our county (Hardin Co. and being across the river" have gone to/been recruited to another school in another county (McNairy). This same school did the same within there own county. (during this time the recruiting school made the state finals several times). In the past few years action has been taken to stop this (at the TSSAA level I think). Still goes on, but not to the extent as in the past.
Kinda strange they got really good and the other school in the county who had always been strong tanked!

Reactions: savannahfan
I thought Bradley County had open enrollment and students could choose between the three high schools and attend their preference? Didn’t think where you lived inside Bradley mattered? Maybe someone who lives in Bradley County can clarify?
That is separate from TSSAA eligibility though. The school system can let you attend the school of your choosing no matter where you live. But TSSAA will not let you participate in sports without a change of address if you have a sports record at your prior school.

They did recently move, or at least I think they did based on what the news said this morning. I was half paying attention while getting ready.

Seems likely that the family was granted a waiver for the QB to stay at Cleveland because he was a senior. Then, when the opportunity presented itself, they transferred to the district they live in.
The family lived in Chattanooga when he transferred to Cleveland in the first place. Did they move once, twice or whatever? I do not know. I think anyone leaving in the middle of a season at this level or higher just for playing time is questionable. If the starter comes back from his injury next year as good as he was prior to the injury, this other kid will be back on the bench at either school.

It is open but it has some restrictions once you enroll into high school and step foot on campus.

The family lived in Chattanooga when he transferred to Cleveland in the first place. Did they move once, twice or whatever? I do not know. I think anyone leaving in the middle of a season at this level or higher just for playing time is questionable. If the starter comes back from his injury next year as good as he was prior to the injury, this other kid will be back on the bench at either school.

I don't have any clue about the family. I know he went to Notre Dame HS for a year or 2 before transferring to Cleveland. Not sure if he lived in Cleveland before the initial transfer or not.

I do know he was at Cleveland HS last year and was the starter before getting injured and missing the entire season.

And the reason the kid transferred is because he is a senior and wants to get looked at for college. Most likely looking at FCS level schools or lower, but a scholarship is a scholarship.

That is separate from TSSAA eligibility though. The school system can let you attend the school of your choosing no matter where you live. But TSSAA will not let you participate in sports without a change of address if you have a sports record at your prior school.
Well, that's their rule but it's scarcely enforced at all. Usually to the detriment of rural schools, when parents just somehow happen to get to know the coaching staff of high school coaches a few counties away.

I remember reading something about TSSAA considering allowing students to transfer to other schools at any point and being immediately eligible.

Reactions: Volfan1000

VN Store

Back