Hill 117 - A Steep One

Last year's offense was, statistically, the best is school history, and we didn't even really have a running game.

The people who complained about last year's offense might need to be on suicide watch this year. We could almost pick up 15 yards at will last year.

Except on 3rd and 1 when behind by a touchdown late in a game.

Reactions: 1 person
Everyone knows the Vols have one leg shoter than the other from climbing mountains....so hills are no problem at all

That offense is heavily skewed because teams chose to just shred our D as quickly as possible and force our offense to keep up.

Not sure it was so much tems choosing to score as quickly as possibly as it was our D just allowed it. Too many first down runs off tackle went for 75 yd tds, and short flat passes going the distance. Once an opposing RB or receiver got into our secondary they were going to score.

I am hoping for a 7-5 season. God knows we need a bowl game this year.

But for you more *cough* experienced fans....Just to put into perspective the kind of offensive production Team 117 has to try to replace, I looked up the stats for our departed WRs. Here is the link to my info:

Tennessee Volunteers*Career Receiving Statistics - Totalfootballstats.com

C.Patterson's CAREER stats (from 2012 alone) are just less than Jason Witten's Career totals:

33 Jason Witten Comp 68 Yds 797 TDs 7
34 Cordarrelle Patterson Comp 46 Yds 778 TDs 5

J.Hunter's Career stats are about the same as a guy you might have heard of by the last name Pickens:

7 Carl Pickens Comp 109 Yds 1875 TDs 13
8 Justin Hunter Comp 106 Yds 1814 TDs 18

Throw in a couple more guys ranked in the top 30 all-time:

23 Mychal Rivera Comp 76 Yds 1018 TDs 6
28 Zach Rogers Comp 63 Yds 906 TDs 9

And FWIW, DaRick Rodgers Career stats were actually just a hair better than some guy named Willie Gault:

20 Da'Rick Rogers Comp 78 Yds 1210 TDs 11
21 Willie Gault Comp 66 Yds 1193 TDs 8

I know I'm about to get called a troll and a NegaVol and any number of other heinous things, but I just thought the comparison might temper some expectations.

CBJ and Team 117 need steady support, not a bi-polar fanbase. I think we will see good things from Coach Jones and the Vols very soon...and it will certainly be fun to watch. But I am afraid this year will be an awfully steep hill to climb.

That, and/or this, these:

1.) A QB to step up and take hold of an ideally uptempo but balanced offense.

2.) The emergence of a playmaker from an inexperienced WR corps.

3.) The development of a young secondary and a pass rush.

4.) A kicking game that won't shoot us in the foot (Terrible pun intended).

5.) Remain healthy, especially at DL and LB.

I enjoyed your comparisons. So much talent, yet it only amplifies the sheer ineptitude of the coaching and defense.

I'm not arguing this point...we lost some firepower.

I know, and I'm not trying to be inflammatory or argumentative....sorry if I was!

I really just want us to be happy when we do well this year, and not so shellshocked if/when we don't.

:peace:

VN Store

Back