Honest Questions

WoodsmanVol

It takes wisdom to understand wisdom.
1. CBJ & co. seem to be tearing up the recruiting trail, to my great joy. Now, I recognize I'm no coach and certainly not a football savant. So I wonder, how far can we go without having a significant effort to stock OL, DE, and DT players? currently, the 2014 class seems clearly deficit in this area and I just can't figure out why. It's almost like CBJ has gone all ga ga over offense skill position players and ignoring offense and defense line needs. Can anyone say or even speculate why we aren't stocking OL and DL heavyweights?

2. I looked at Jones' first year at the UC: Cincinnati Bearcats 2010 Football Schedule

His players seem to compete when talent was not overwhelmingly above them. Even when losing. It may also be the players not fully buying into his scheme for all I know. In any case, considering these two factors, how does the 2013 team and its schedule project compared to the 2010 UC team?

Funny thing is (please, oh please don't smite me dead for this) I keep thinking this team will be similar to Franklin's Commodores. Horrible thing to say, I agree but I'm trying to be objective. Franklin for all his baby rattle headiness had his team believing they could win against anybody and playing like it.

The better part of my brain insists the 2013 team will be more like Johnny Majors' 1986 team. But I keep saying, "Woodsmanvol, you're just being biased. Call it for what it really is." Oh to heck with it, what does does VN think?

Well we have three o lineman and a beast DE. I think we will be very impressed with what we see on the field

1. Recruiting is solid. The big guys are typically easier to find than the so-called "skill" positions. Those make the impact. I am not concerned ... yet.
2. Comparing UT with Candybuilt is a blaspheme! Wash your mouth and give away all your orange.

Reactions: 3 people
I find it funny in a pathetic sort of way that fans think CBJ does not realize what areas (positions) that we lack talent and depth.

Reactions: 17 people
1. CBJ & co. seem to be tearing up the recruiting trail, to my great joy. Now, I recognize I'm no coach and certainly not a football savant. So I wonder, how far can we go without having a significant effort to stock OL, DE, and DT players? currently, the 2014 class seems clearly deficit in this area and I just can't figure out why. It's almost like CBJ has gone all ga ga over offense skill position players and ignoring offense and defense line needs. Can anyone say or even speculate why we aren't stocking OL and DL heavyweights?

2. I looked at Jones' first year at the UC: Cincinnati Bearcats 2010 Football Schedule

His players seem to compete when talent was not overwhelmingly above them. Even when losing. It may also be the players not fully buying into his scheme for all I know. In any case, considering these two factors, how does the 2013 team and its schedule project compared to the 2010 UC team?

Funny thing is (please, oh please don't smite me dead for this) I keep thinking this team will be similar to Franklin's Commodores. Horrible thing to say, I agree but I'm trying to be objective. Franklin for all his baby rattle headiness had his team believing they could win against anybody and playing like it.

The better part of my brain insists the 2013 team will be more like Johnny Majors' 1986 team. But I keep saying, "Woodsmanvol, you're just being biased. Call it for what it really is." Oh to heck with it, what does does VN think?

You take your username too seriously :)

Reactions: 1 person
I think we will be better than expected. But the SEC East is a long shot. This class certainly appears to be laying a foundation for success. The future is bright though it is always great to be a Vol. We could have a year like 2006. A few nice wins, nothing spectacular, but certainly not an embarrassment.

I had the very same concern, but I think we may be better of on DL and OL than you think. I counted 15 underclassman on the DL on scholarship here Updated Tennessee football scholarship roster breakdown (with new practice video) | Evan's Eleven | GoVolsXtra.com. I would still like to sign a couple of stud defensive tackles to this class.

The guys on Enrichment Sports Source talked about the recruiting class yesterday and said that they thought Jones was mainly concerned with recruiting talent in the skill positions with the plan to "develop" players for the OL and DL. I guess we just need to trust that the staff knows what they are doing.

To the first part, the season has not started yet. And we already have a great class going. The linemen we are after will surely be able to see that Tennessee deserves a long look. I can't imagine us not getting our share. It would appear we have quite a while to focus in on the big boys. There is plenty of time for our abundant current commits to join up with our coaches to hone in who it is we really need to close with (lol @ talking about closing in July, but that is how big our #1 class is right now). No need to panic, or compare us to Vandy!!!

i have a feeling that we will be good this year atleast 8 wins . and butch knows what he is doing he knows what players he needs i also think some wr will be moved but plan on some DL and OL being signed. never compare us to vandy

It's crazy to complain about recruiting in any way, shape, or form. There are 12 4-stars committed right now. Think about that and let it sink in. That's 3 more than any other team in the country, and all that for a team coming off of 3 straight losing seasons. This staff knows what they're doing, if they wanted to sign a 4 star waterboy tomorrow i'd be happy with that.

Reactions: 2 people
It's crazy to complain about recruiting in any way, shape, or form. There are 12 4-stars committed right now. Think about that and let it sink in. That's 3 more than any other team in the country, and all that for a team coming off of 3 straight losing seasons. This staff knows what they're doing, if they wanted to sign a 4 star waterboy tomorrow i'd be happy with that.

Ding, ding, ding - we have a winner for a chicken dinner! lol.

Totally agree. I know it can work both ways, but based on the offer lists of those 4 stars and some of those 3 stars; if they have good senior seasons some will get upgraded by the services. When Butch & staff are done I expect there will be 15+ at 4 star or higher. As you said, let that sink in. Then sit back, smile, Bobby McFerrin a little, and enjoy the ride. This is going to be a blast.

I had the very same concern, but I think we may be better of on DL and OL than you think. I counted 15 underclassman on the DL on scholarship here Updated Tennessee football scholarship roster breakdown (with new practice video) | Evan's Eleven | GoVolsXtra.com. I would still like to sign a couple of stud defensive tackles to this class.

The guys on Enrichment Sports Source talked about the recruiting class yesterday and said that they thought Jones was mainly concerned with recruiting talent in the skill positions with the plan to "develop" players for the OL and DL. I guess we just need to trust that the staff knows what they are doing.

Thanks for the serious answer to my questions. You too, Pimpvol. CBJ & com.'s ability to develop players is something I believe in and look forward to. I remain concern about the 2014 class but you may be right that we're better set with OL and DL personnel than I think. I hope so. My concern was in part due to our only having maybe 6 more slots to fill the 2014 class and the presumed two slots reserved in hope of landing the Berry twins. Which means 4 slots are actually left.

drncvol, it's Ok for fans to ask other fans questions about their team. Asking a question doesn't mean thinking our coach doesn't know what he's doing. I recently asked my wife why is she making her special cold served seafood salad instead of letting me grill elk t-bone steaks. Her answer was it's a very hot day and we had bison flank steak yesterday and Nilgai antelope roast the day before. She didn't say she found it funny I didn't think she knew how to prepare a proper meal cause my question was just a question and nothing more. I'm sure if I had told her she should stick to steaming vegetables instead of trying to cook meat products, she'd have rammed a fork up my patootie. Same thing with asking about our 2014 recruiting, it's just a question.

Last edited:
This staff has shown the ability to spot unheralded talent and develop talent. This year's #1 draft pick was CBJ's at CM. They may see potential in some individuals for some positions that we don't and wish to use scholarships for other needs they see.

i have a feeling that we will be good this year atleast 8 wins . and butch knows what he is doing he knows what players he needs i also think some wr will be moved but plan on some DL and OL being signed. never compare us to vandy

Can you list those 8 wins? I'm just curious.

Thanks for the serious answer to my questions. You too, Pimpvol. CBJ & com.'s ability to develop players is something I believe in and look forward to. I remain concern about the 2014 class but you may be right that we're better set with OL and DL personnel than I think. I hope so. My concern was in part due to our only having maybe 6 more slots to fill the 2014 class and the presumed two slots reserved in hope of landing the Berry twins. Which means 4 slots are actually left.

drncvol, it's Ok for fans to ask other fans questions about their team. Asking a question doesn't mean thinking our coach doesn't know what he's doing. I recently asked my wife why is she making her special cold served seafood salad instead of letting me grill elk t-bone steaks. Her answer was it's a very hot day and we had bison flank steak yesterday and Nilgai antelope roast the day before. She didn't say she found it funny I didn't think she knew how to prepare a proper meal cause my question was just a question and nothing more. I'm sure if I had told her she should stick to steaming vegetables instead of trying to cook meat products, she'd have rammed a fork up my patootie. Same thing with asking about our 2014 recruiting, it's just a question.

Based on your menu, exactly how long has it been since you made contact with civilization?

Jeremiah%20Johnson%20nod.gif

Last edited:

I would like to see that list too. Im thinking we could have a year like 2009. Maybe win a game we arent suppose to(georgia or usce) and possibly lose one we should win. Finish 6-6 to 7-5 and build on that the next year. I would really like to get a bowl game this year.

It's not always the case, but alot of OL tend to walk on and earn a scholarship. I think CBJ is recruiting like a draft, he see's the players he wants and he goes and gets them. A team full of 4*'s and better will not be a bad thing, even thou I have never got hung up on the amount of stars a player has got. Because, once the ball is snapped it doesn't matter who or what you are, only how you play.

SSSHHH I am a silent commit :dance2::good!::lolabove:

We've fine. We already have 3 OL in this class. We only really need one more. We're also in pretty good shape at DE, as we brought in quite a few in the 13 class. DT is the main concern now, but we're still in with several guys at that position.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Now I am not expecting 8 wins, but if I were crazy enough to think that then I would go with:

Austin Peay
Western Kentucky
South Alabama
Georiga
Missouri
Auburn
Vanderbilt
Kentucky

Aside from the obvious ones, Georgia will be coming off a LSU game which I think will give us a solid chance to catch them in a trap game and it's not like the beat us down last year.

Now I am not expecting 8 wins, but if I were crazy enough to think that then I would go with:

Austin Peay
Western Kentucky
South Alabama
Georiga
Missouri
Auburn
Vanderbilt
Kentucky

Aside from the obvious ones, Georgia will be coming off a LSU game which I think will give us a solid chance to catch them in a trap game and it's not like the beat us down last year.

IMO, if UT is going to pull an upset, it's going to be against USCe, not Georgia.

Austin Peay
Western Kentucky
South Alabama
Georiga
Missouri
Auburn
Vanderbilt
Kentucky

UGA may have the best offense in the SEC this year. It ain't happnin.

UGA may have the best offense in the SEC this year. It ain't happnin.

Why thank you! :hi::p. We look pretty good on paper with what we have returning from last year along with a few who were injured. People forget that we played last season with a really pieced-together receiving corps. Losing Bennett really hurt us. We were a different offense when he was in the lineup. If we can keep everyone healthy, we should score some points. And our defence could be a lot better than everyone might think. We have some good players on D. Just have to see how they come together. They looked good at the G-Day game. I was on the sideline and spoke to Jarvis Jones and he was impressed with his replacement, Jordan Jenkins, as well as the rest.

Last edited:
Several commentators are picking SC to be in Atlanta. I see UF as the best chance for #8. They will still be good but lost 6 from last year's #2 defense in the SEC. If our offense jells, we have a chance. Their QB was a disappointment last year. They expect improvement but that could prove not to be the case.

VN Store

Back