How 5-star recruits affect team rankings

What does it matter?

Once they get on campus what difference does it make whether they're a 4 or 5 star? It won't make any difference come Sept. 2014.

really?

I think it matters quite a bit - 5 stars are typically better players, they are way more likely than 4 or 3 stars to get drafted - i don't know about you but if we wanna compete for SEC titles i would rather do it with a lot of NFL ready guys on my roster

and that is more likely to happen if you have 5 star and high 4 stars showing up on campus year in year out

really?

I think it matters quite a bit - 5 stars are typically better players, they are way more likely than 4 or 3 stars to get drafted - i don't know about you but if we wanna compete for SEC titles i would rather do it with a lot of NFL ready guys on my roster

and that is more likely to happen if you have 5 star and high 4 stars showing up on campus year in year out

You missed the point. Do you want Hurd and Kelly on UT's campus? If yes, what difference does it make if they're rated a 4 or 5 star?

I would rather brag about results on the field, not whether Kelly and Hurd are 4 or 5 stars. I think these 2 are very good players for UT's class regardless of their * ranking.

Bragging on signing day usually leads to bragging about results on the field.

Amazing_street_magic.gif

:)

Bragging on signing day usually leads to bragging about results on the field.

Not for UT as of late. I think Jones will shorten that gap because I think he can coach and pays attention to details.

We haven't really bragged on signing day since Kiffin left.

UT has had many top 20 recruiting classes over the last decade (including all 3 of Dools).

Now, when you play UF, Bama, USC, & UGA every year, and throw in LSU & Ark from time to time you can have a decent team and lose 5-6 games.

I think we now have a coach that will have our players reaching a little deeper and pull out some of these games.

UT has had many top 20 recruiting classes over the last decade (including all 3 of Dools).

Now, when you play UF, Bama, USC, & UGA every year, and throw in LSU & Ark from time to time you can have a decent team and lose 5-6 games.

I think we now have a coach that will have our players reaching a little deeper and pull out some of these games.

I am rooting for your third sentence to be a reality. I think we are out-talented in six of our games next year.

I am rooting for your third sentence to be a reality. I think we are out-talented in six of our games next year.

Were UF, UGA, & USC that much better than UT? Nevermind Miss St, Missouri, & Vandy. Forget Bama for a second.

UT was in the game against UF, UGA, & USC! They couldn't close the game. Why? I would be willing to bet, that if you replaced UT's coaching staff last year at the start of the 4th quarter of each of those games with Jones', Muschamp's, Spurrier's, Saban's, or Meyer's staffs UT wins 2 out of 3. I know that's not feasibly possible but hopefully you get the point.

LSU in 2010 is another classic example.

The team was missing that extra gear and the ability to close. Sorry, NC State and Cincy don't count.

You missed the point. Do you want Hurd and Kelly on UT's campus? If yes, what difference does it make if they're rated a 4 or 5 star?

Yep I think i might have - i agree there

but i am tired of diamonds in the rough - just give me the F'n diamonds - this is Tennessee

Yep I think i might have - i agree there

but i am tired of diamonds in the rough - just give me the F'n diamonds - this is Tennessee

No problem. Do you live in Charleston? I may have asked this before.

OP - just to reiterate my point on not trusting rivals interest lists - here is a kid we are in really good shape with - 14 GA OL Orlando Brown

yet on the rivals page UT isnt even listed as interested - he is announcing on may 2 and wouldnt surprise me at all if he announces UT

Were UF, UGA, & USC that much better than UT? Nevermind Miss St, Missouri, & Vandy. Forget Bama for a second.

UT was in the game against UF, UGA, & USC! They couldn't close the game. Why? I would be willing to bet, that if you replaced UT's coaching staff last year at the start of the 4th quarter of each of those games with Jones', Muschamp's, Spurrier's, Saban's, or Meyer's staffs UT wins 2 out of 3. I know that's not feasibly possible but hopefully you get the point.

LSU in 2010 is another classic example.

The team was missing that extra gear and the ability to close. Sorry, NC State and Cincy don't count.

We have a significant drop in talent/experience this year vs last year offensively. We had eight wins on our schedule last year based on our talent. The games against UF, UGA and USCe were possibilities at the beginning of the year but Mizzoo, Vandy and MSU should have been automatic. This year USCe, UGA and UF are more talented than we are by a wider margin and it will take something special to win them. UGA and USCe are at home but UF will be better than they were last year. Also Auburn player for player probably has a talent advantage and add in Oregon that is six teams with better players. If Jones wins a couple he is not supposed to win we will be back sooner than later.

I used to live in Mt. Pleasant and then James Island just off the connector. I love the Low Country!!!

Yeah I used to live closer to JI - bout a mile or so from genes on the west ashley side - loved that area

Mt. P is okay too - love charleston overall though

With TWO OR MORE 5-stars: You’re almost a lock for a top-10 class, odds are very high of a top-5 class.

Your data doesn't demonstrate this^. It may be true, but you didn't show it statistically.

You showed that if you have a top 10 class you're almost a lock to have 2 or more 5-stars. Even higher for a top 5 class.

You did not show how many classes each year had 0,1,or 2+ 5-stars that were not top 10 classes. I suspect that there are plenty of classes with 1 or more 5-stars that weren't ranked in the top 10.

Your data doesn't demonstrate this^. It may be true, but you didn't show it statistically.

You showed that if you have a top 10 class you're almost a lock to have 2 or more 5-stars. Even higher for a top 5 class.

You did not show how many classes each year had 0,1,or 2+ 5-stars that were not top 10 classes. I suspect that there are plenty of classes with 1 or more 5-stars that weren't ranked in the top 10.

You don't have to go back very far to find the answer to that. 2013 Rivals USC had five 5* players and finished 13th. Interestingly, they finished just below 12th ranked Georgia who had zero 5* players.

The rankings tell a lot - but only if you keep looking past the very first # on the list.

You don't have to go back very far to find the answer to that. 2013 Rivals USC had five 5* players and finished 13th. Interestingly, they finished just below 12th ranked Georgia who had zero 5* players.

The rankings tell a lot - but only if you keep looking past the very first # on the list.

my guess is the OP is not taking into account 1 very important thing and that is that typically classes with multiple 5 stars also have a bunch of 4 stars - the combination of which leads to top 5 classes

so if u look at how many 4/5 star kids they have you might see 15+ very often in the top 5 or top 10 and not so often below that - just a guess

my guess is the OP is not taking into account 1 very important thing and that is that typically classes with multiple 5 stars also have a bunch of 4 stars - the combination of which leads to top 5 classes

so if u look at how many 4/5 star kids they have you might see 15+ very often in the top 5 or top 10 and not so often below that - just a guess

Rivals does their final ranking based off of total points. GA signed 33 players - 16 4* and 17 3* for a total of 2226 pts with an average * rating of 3.48. USC only signed 12 players - 5 5* and 7 4* for a total of 2193 pts with an average of 4.42 (yes 4.42!). GA fans would tell you their #12 final ranking was better than USC's #13 final ranking but no right minded person would say GA had the better class.

FYI, Ole Miss had the 7th ranked class with multiple 5* (3) but had more 3* than they did 4* as did the barn in 8th place.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
So Bama is just hanging back right now and will probably end up with about 8 of them. They probably have to get all the money straight first before they sign.

Bama often waits. Right now they can afford to do that because a lot of kids (but not all) will drop whatever they're doing and sign with them but they also end up screwing over a lot of kids who were committed and then are told to go find a new team. Some even get screwed as late as the day before signing day because someone flips over to them.

Rivals does their final ranking based off of total points. GA signed 33 players - 16 4* and 17 3* for a total of 2226 pts with an average * rating of 3.48. USC only signed 12 players - 5 5* and 7 4* for a total of 2193 pts with an average of 4.42 (yes 4.42!). GA fans would tell you their #12 final ranking was better than USC's #13 final ranking but no right minded person would say GA had the better class.

FYI, Ole Miss had the 7th ranked class with multiple 5* (3) but had more 3* than they did 4* as did the barn in 8th place.

gotcha so total players really matters to in the rankings I guess - since you can't always take 33 guys that would seem to skew the results a bit

Good job, SCV. I opened this thread expecting the worst, but that was actually informative.:)

VN Store

Back