How bad is Florida without Tebow?

Veterans......Rogers is a possession receiver at best.....Lucas Taylor converted a few trick plays but isn't a true number one... imo. I think they are young like our rbs......Gerald Jones is green as well.

Veterans......Rogers is a possession receiver at best.....Lucas Taylor converted a few trick plays but isn't a true number one... imo. I think they are young like our rbs......Gerald Jones is green as well.

You are kidding yourself. How can you call a 1,000 yard season by Taylor "converting a few trick plays". I've heard it all now. Austin Rogers had over 600 yards recieving last year as well, and Briscoe led the group in touchdown catches. And Gerald Jones is a lot less green than your new RB's. He is a player, watch out. Basically, our wide reciever "situation" is in no way comparable to your RB situation bottom line. Those RB's haven't even seen the field yet. Be serious...

Rogers as a possession receiver caught 56 balls and avg'd over 10 ypc.

Jones isn't green... and didn't play like it even when he was.

I'm looking for both Taylor and Rogers to lose some opportunities to Jones... and for a huge year from Briscoe whose catch in the spring game could have easily been mistaken for a Meachem play. I've never seen him look that fast or confident.

As good as UF's O is and should be, UM still hasn't proven that he can get production out of a RB against the SEC in his system. He's complained about the talent but UF has had some good talent. He just asks them to do things against SEC talent that you need a Tebow-like RB to do.

Ha yeah and I'm still not even sold on Stafford and Georgia's passing game, especially with no stud WR's. Massaquoi? lol. Looks like UF and UGA have a lot of "stars" but if they get hurt they're in trouble. I like our depth a lot on O with reliable veterns, mixed with some talented young guys. We might not have as many big name stars as UF and UGA (yet) but it looks like we are better built to withstand a SEC season at this point. Even if Crompton got hurt we still have a backup going into his third year and its not as if we have to rely on our QB to do it all. We are deep with guys who have proven they can make plays, and take some pressure off the QB. Just get them the ball...

I like this logic. ''We don't have any great players, just lots of decent ones, so we can weather injuries better.'' If your goal is the chik-fil-a bowl, you are right on target.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Hey, let the gators think we're a bunch of inexperienced, talent-less saps that can't dream of co-habitating the same football universe as them.

Brisco is now built alot like Meachem, just not quite as fast.

Yes, Lucas Taylor was a true number 1 last year. Had he not been a little gimpy he would have racked up even more yards. I too look for him, Brisco, and Rogers to lose a little time to Jones and possibly Paige.

Make no mistake, Florida is very good at the WR position. Also, make no mistake that if Tebow goes down, so does Florida's season. With an unproven ground game and leaky secondary the Gators are in trouble if they lose Tebow for any extended period of time.

I like this logic. ''We don't have any great players, just lots of decent ones, so we can weather injuries better.'' If your goal is the chik-fil-a bowl, you are right on target.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Wrong. We don't have as MANY stars as UF or UGA (yet) but that doesn't mean we don't have any. What I meant was that we have better depth and more experienced players overall. Once you get past the Tebow's and Moreno's, UF and UGA has more greens than Agusta National. In a nutshell...

Rogers as a possession receiver caught 56 balls and avg'd over 10 ypc.

Jones isn't green... and didn't play like it even when he was.

I'm looking for both Taylor and Rogers to lose some opportunities to Jones... and for a huge year from Briscoe whose catch in the spring game could have easily been mistaken for a Meachem play. I've never seen him look that fast or confident.

Note to self....it was a SPRING GAME.....if that was the case, for ours hand Tebow the Heisman again.

Wrong. We don't have as MANY stars as UF or UGA (yet) but that doesn't mean we don't have any. What I meant was that we have better depth and more experienced players overall. Once you get past the Tebow's and Moreno's, UF and UGA has more greens than Agusta National. In a nutshell...

I put our experience up against yours anyday.......this is what makes the preseason great is the anticipation.

I think we lost a couple players on defense but, other than Mayo, who did we lose that was so great? Karl? Hefney? Mapu? Mitchell? Reynolds? Our DEs will be much better and faster. Our DTs will be more experienced, but we have to see if they step up. Our LBs will be just as athletic and Wilson will turn alot of heads. If Williams gets in for sure and plays LB, our LBs will be better as well. You played against a very green secondary as well. They are 50x better right now than what you saw.

The same is true with our defense. Another year under their belts. They will be better. Depth is the big issue now that we have had a couple of injuries in the secondary.

If I were a gator fan... and boy that isn't a pleasant feeling... I would be concerned about the secondary and the DL outside of the big DE from SC. That kid is special. Cunningham doesn't scare me at all.

Spikes is great but really Doe doesn't scare me either. But on the whole UF's LB corps looks good.

On Briscoe, the relevance isn't that it was the spring game but rather how he looked compared to the past. Briscoe came in a skinny rail. He looked solid and fast.

Without tebow, they'd lose maybe 1-2 more games at this point, the backups Newton & Brantly are both very good, somewhat mobile qbs. There might be some fall of for a year (almost like rebuilding) but the next they would be right back in it. However, they're short yardage game would probably be hurt b/c they wouldnt have someone like tebow who can lower a shoulder and push the pile 1-3 yards extra

On Briscoe, the relevance isn't that it was the spring game but rather how he looked compared to the past. Briscoe came in a skinny rail. He looked solid and fast.

Gotcha...that was the bright spot for us with the rb Moody and Chris Rainey. They both looked very good as well.

It will hurt to lose a player the caliber of Tebow. But they've had great recruiting classes and Tebow started ZERO games when Florida won the title. Florida will get another good QB once Tebow's gone. Meyer recruited a great college QB at Utah and even though Alex Smith has amounted to nothing in the NFL he was a #1 draft pick.

It will hurt to lose a player the caliber of Tebow. But they've had great recruiting classes and Tebow started ZERO games when Florida won the title. Florida will get another good QB once Tebow's gone. Meyer recruited a great college QB at Utah and even though Alex Smith has amounted to nothing in the NFL he was a #1 draft pick.

well, they've already got 2 5 star qbs on the roster behind him

Gotcha...that was the bright spot for us with the rb Moody and Chris Rainey. They both looked very good as well.

Alot more impressed by Rainey than Moody.

Moody seemed to do better later but that appeared to be after some of the lower level subs came in.

I think the better question is, how would bama fare had tebow decided to go there instead?

Hey, let the gators think we're a bunch of inexperienced, talent-less saps that can't dream of co-habitating the same football universe as them.

They already believe that on just about every gator message board there is. If their team starts to believe all the hype and doesn't put forth the effort, it will be a different outcome than the previous three years.

Moody wasn't that great at USC against the supposed weak pac-10 defenses. how do you think he will do in the SEC? just saying.

I put our experience up against yours anyday.......this is what makes the preseason great is the anticipation.

You are crazy if you think Florida's experience is even close to that of Tennessee this year. Have a look...UT returns every single starter on the O-line from the end of last year. Add another proven backup in Vlad Richard to that. We return every single RB from last year, and every single WR from last year as well, starters and back ups. All 11 projected starters have at least 1 year of game experience, and 10 out of 11 have at least 2 years, 5 of those 10 guys have 3 years experience. We will start 3 redshirt seniors, 2 seniors, 3 redshirt juniors, 1 junior, 1 redshirt sophomore, and 1 sophomore on offense. On defense we replace all 4 of our lost starters with upperclassmen. 2 of those 4 replacements are redshirt seniors that have 3 years of frequent game experience (Ayers, Wilson). Another guy we replace a starter with is a redshirt junior with 2 years game experience (Brown). The other replacement (Morley) was already a starter here in 2006 and would have been last year if he was eligible. Hes a junior but should be a senior, and hes had 2 years of substansial game experience. All 11 projected starters have at least 1 year of game experience if they weren't already returning starters. 6 of those 11 have at least 2 years game experience, and 2 have 3 years experience. So we will start 3 redshirt seniors, 2 seniors, 3 redshirt juniors, 1 "junior" (Morley) lol, and 2 sophomores and one of them is Eric Berry.

Thats 6 redshirt seniors, 4 seniors, 6 redshirt juniors, 2 juniors one of whom should be a senior (Morley), one redshirt sophomore, and 3 sophomores...and again one of those is Eric Berry haha. So even though UF beat us last year we still won the east, and have lots of guys coming back this year. Florida can have all of their "experienced" sophomores and do whatever they want on defense, I'll take my chances with our group.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back