How do you restart a football program?

daltonj220

I live in upper east tn and live near Etsu. Me and the guys at work were sitting around talking about how you recruit a whole new team? I know theres limits per class each year,but does that apply to start up?or do they let the new team recruit 80? I thought i'd pose the question to fellow vols fans who probally know alot more about it than myself! Any info would be interesting.

I live in upper east tn and live near Etsu. Me and the guys at work were sitting around talking about how you recruit a whole new team? I know theres limits per class each year,but does that apply to start up?or do they let the new team recruit 80? I thought i'd pose the question to fellow vols fans who probally know alot more about it than myself! Any info would be interesting.
Tusculum, which is about 15 miles from you, did it 15 or 20 years ago, but I don't know the procedure.

they aren't starting til 2015 so that gives them this class and one more i think?

Turn on the PS3, on the main menu go to Dynasty, select it an then pick New Dynasty. Pick your team, and you're rollin.

Reactions: 3 people
Research how UT-San Antonio (UTSA) Roadrunners did it just a few yrs ago. It's one of the biggest schools in TX and had no football team. They did go out and get Larry Coker as their first coach so that helps. Also doesn't hurt when u have access to rich talent within a few hundred miles either. So if they were able to get 80 players at one shot they probably didn't have much trouble doing so. I'm guessing it would be more difficult for smaller schools in less populated less talent rich areas.

Iirc their first year they were div 2 to get things started with the plan being to be in Conf USA or something like that their 2nd year.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

South Florida is a pretty new program isn't it? 15 years or so. They've seen quite a bit of success IMO. And I think they hit a HR with their new coach.

2 classes of thirty..straight from Torbush..the rest will be likely junior/senior walkons from the area and ETSU track

One brick at at time!!!!

I'd recruit one class and red-shirt them all. Let it be known that any transfers would be getting p.t. here. Then the next year, recruit some more, including about half of them JUCO upperclassmen, and have open invitation for walk-ons; that first season and the next, I'd have an underhand-pitch schedule of light-weight opponents, and then move up towards respectability in the next few yrs. Something like that.

It is an interesting question.

Like the OP said, do you recruit 80 players in one year? I mean at the onset it would make sense to let a school recruit for a couple of years before they start playing, but then you start thinking about the fact that these are college athletes and they only get 4 years. Are all of the original recruits just gonna practice for the first year with no games? Could you recruit an entire class of players willing to redshirt? (I'm sure you could, but you'd be scraping the bottom of the barrel, obviously.)

It's got to be a difficult process, regardless of how it's actually done.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back