How is it going?

Been a while Volnation.
How is everything going with the new coach and what are your feelings for this season? Can't wait for football to kick off again.

Big Understatement That Coach Has Gotten Everyone To See It Takes Big Recruits In Creating Knoxville's Best. You Better Realize Improvement Causes Kinship. We All Think Coach Has Our University Team Seriously Expecting Championships.

Reactions: 15 people
Big Understatement That Coach Has Gotten Everyone To See It Takes Big Recruits In Creating Knoxville's Best. You Better Realize Improvement Causes Kinship. We All Think Coach Has Our University Team Seriously Expecting Championships.

Nice.:good!: I see it.

Reactions: 1 person
Well done!

Nice work!

Yep.

:toast:

I was just talking with a Dawg friend of mine. He's still having sleepless nights just knowing they were one down away in the SEC championship game from winning the NC. How have you been sleeping Fadeproof?

The difficulty for us this season will be that teams will load the box to stop the running game and make us one-dimensional with inexperienced QBs.

In my opinion--it will give us OPPORTUNITY to allow the QBs to shine since we have some serious but young talent at WR. I think it will be feast or famine--and if we can limit TOs (INTs)--we will win some games we are not expected to win.

Going back to the 4-3 on D will help us immensely, but we don't have a lot of depth at LB--so injuries will be something to watch. Our D-Line will be better than people think--but DBs are another concern.

If we can limit big plays on D, then we should keep every game close that we play this year until the 4th QTR. I think our lack of quality depth will begin to show then and predict that we lose at least 4 games...but really don't think we will finish the regular season worse than 7-5..

After saying all of that--I do think this team has the potential to over-achieve, especially if we can win one of the early games and finish our first 6 games 4-2! New coach, new attitude, new player confidence in the coaching staff, and some quality leadership on the field sometimes is enough to generate a magical season. GO VOLS! :salute:

Looks like he has done a great job recruiting and getting new talent in the door. How are current players buying in to his system and is there anyone that you guys think may breakout this year?

I am in the minority in thinking that if Jones is a good coach he should win 7+ with the current roster even against a very difficult schedule. Many if not most are talking about 6 wins being "good".

Jones says that this team has bought in much better than his previous two new teams.

I think the run game will look better this year both by necessity and commitment by the coaches. I will be somewhat surprised if at least one of Neal, Lane, or Hill (in that order of likelihood) do not have a really good season. I also think one of the DE's will look like a star. They seem to be focusing on putting the rush DE in a position to make big plays. Croom could shine if he can stay healthy.

Been going pretty good. There are bright spots (recruiting) and dark spots (APR, unproven coach) to this point. O&W really answered no big questions if not outright raising more questions.

QB, WR and TE are huge questions.

RB should be servicable with both Lane and Neal returning. Hopefully one of those guys steps up big as it's been a long time since UT had a great running game. If Kiffin can get Hardesty with 2 banged up knees and running behind 2 walk-ons to do it... I believe that Jones can get an infinitely better OL to do just as well. Which brings me to:

OL. I try not to be biased here, could be one of the best in the SEC if not the country. Giving up only 8 sacks on 477 passing attempts (with Deep-Ball Bray no less) says it all. Hopefully they can find a groove with a more consistent running game. The Run game never seemed to be Chaney's strong-suit and playcalling was haphazard at best through Chaney's entire time calling so at this point, I'm hoping the Run game was down due to Chaney's inability to call it well.

Defense? Who knows. Going from 4-3 to 3-4 and back to 4-3 is probably going to be rough. However, we have some good playmakers (McCullers, Johnson among others) and finally some decent depth at DL/LB so I'm strongly in the "no expectations" category here.

Been going pretty good. There are bright spots (recruiting) and dark spots (APR, unproven coach) to this point. O&W really answered no big questions if not outright raising more questions.

QB, WR and TE are huge questions.

RB should be servicable with both Lane and Neal returning. Hopefully one of those guys steps up big as it's been a long time since UT had a great running game. If Kiffin can get Hardesty with 2 banged up knees and running behind 2 walk-ons to do it... I believe that Jones can get an infinitely better OL to do just as well. Which brings me to:

OL. I try not to be biased here, could be one of the best in the SEC if not the country. Giving up only 8 sacks on 477 passing attempts (with Deep-Ball Bray no less) says it all. Hopefully they can find a groove with a more consistent running game. The Run game never seemed to be Chaney's strong-suit and playcalling was haphazard at best through Chaney's entire time calling so at this point, I'm hoping the Run game was down due to Chaney's inability to call it well.

Defense? Who knows. Going from 4-3 to 3-4 and back to 4-3 is probably going to be rough. However, we have some good playmakers (McCullers, Johnson among others) and finally some decent depth at DL/LB so I'm strongly in the "no expectations" category here.

I wouldn't call Jones unproven. Dooley was unproven. Butch has won everywhere he's been.

That would be fade's evil twin ..

4yfjnmr.gif

Is that Dooley?

Been a while Volnation.
How is everything going with the new coach and what are your feelings for this season? Can't wait for football to kick off again.
How have you been Fade? You should come around more often. The general feeling is that we shouldn't expect much this year. Most of us are just hoping to make it back to a bowl game. However we do feel that CBJ is the right man for the job and in a couple of years we'll be back to competing with you guys for the east again.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I wouldn't call Jones unproven. Dooley was unproven. Butch has won everywhere he's been.

And even if he were unproven (which he isn't, but even if he were), "dark spot" isn't how I would describe it. "Question mark" would be a better description, as in "not yet proven if it's bright or dark".

:hi:

Now that was clever ! :yes:

I am in the minority in thinking that if Jones is a good coach he should win 7+ with the current roster even against a very difficult schedule. Many if not most are talking about 6 wins being "good".

Jones says that this team has bought in much better than his previous two new teams.

I think the run game will look better this year both by necessity and commitment by the coaches. I will be somewhat surprised if at least one of Neal, Lane, or Hill (in that order of likelihood) do not have a really good season. I also think one of the DE's will look like a star. They seem to be focusing on putting the rush DE in a position to make big plays. Croom could shine if he can stay healthy.

i second the 7 win expectations.. the only way should be less is if we have a few major injuries

VN Store

Back