How many seasons

Nocleats

How many seasons after a great recruiting class does it take for that to show up on the field. I believe it takes at least 2 and more like 3. Having back to back recruiting class success normally will not show up until year 3 in my opinion. Thoughts?

How many seasons after a great recruiting class does it take for that to show up on the field. I believe it takes at least 2 and more like 3. Having back to back recruiting class success normally will not show up until year 3 in my opinion. Thoughts?

I agree in most part overall. However, skill positions can show up the first year at times if they are very good. Certainly after 1 year.

Reactions: 2 people
It depends. It can take a few years or a player can step on campus and make an immediate impact.

Without coaching back to back to back to back recruiting success doesn't matter (ask Auburn). I'd say though, if you have the coaching down, that you can see an immediate impact in the first year IF you land a star player (see Eric Berry) and certainly by year 2 and 3 you should be stacking up the W column

Reactions: 1 person
I guess Ole Miss will be a case study for this.

ole miss got the #1 player because his brother went there then some kids read rivals and espn join the bandwagon. at best they will be 4th and thats just in the west behind alahama, loser state, and the haggies.

ole miss got the #1 player because his brother went there then some kids read rivals and espn join the bandwagon. at best they will be 4th and thats just in the west behind alahama, loser state, and the haggies.

There was more to the Ole Miss scenario than that. Horrible season, no-name new coach, rivals playing well, and trying to compete in the west..... and they pulled that kind of class.

Something's amiss here. I expect some investigations at some point.

Without coaching back to back to back to back recruiting success doesn't matter (ask Auburn). I'd say though, if you have the coaching down, that you can see an immediate impact in the first year IF you land a star player (see Eric Berry) and certainly by year 2 and 3 you should be stacking up the W column

Agree.

It depends on many things. Coaching is probably the biggest thing to include the quality of coaching they had in HS and the number of camps they attended that taught good technique.

Physical development is big. Some guys with talent are still two years of S&C from competing.

Even the strength of schedule and position of difficult opponents within the schedule can be a factor.

Generally speaking, linemen and LB's take the longest to become truly effective. So the more you are dependent on new guys at those positions... the less likely a highly rated class is to be considered an early success. Oddly, it is not uncommon for Fr QB's to have success. Ainge, Manning, Bray, Clausen, et al at UT. There are numerous examples at other schools as well.

There was more to the Ole Miss scenario than that. Horrible season, no-name new coach, rivals playing well, and trying to compete in the west..... and they pulled that kind of class.

So fast forward to 1 year from now. How are you going to feel about people saying the same thing about UT?

There was more to the Tennessee scenario than that. Horrible season, no-name new coach, rivals playing well, and trying to compete in the east..... and they pulled that kind of class.

Reactions: 5 people
it depends on a lot of factors, like others are saying, skill positions are huge. rb's and option qb's especially. (like Yeldon and manziel). Juco guys can be extremely essential too. just think of it like this, when auburn brought in Fairley, newton and dyer, it was instant BCS championship. nobody on here can tell me that team would have won more than 7-8 games without those guys. thats obviously the exception, not the rule, but it just shows that in rare instances, under the right conditions you can see a huge difference in year one.

So fast forward to 1 year from now. How are you going to feel about people saying the same thing about UT?

There was more to the Tennessee scenario than that. Horrible season, no-name new coach, rivals playing well, and trying to compete in the east..... and they pulled that kind of class.

1 year from now would be year 2 for a coach who is by no means a no-name, and who has had success on the field and in recruiting over the course of his career.

Not even close to the same situation.

heres the difference, TN has a $50 million facility, a 102,455 seat stadium, a couple national titles, tons of all americans and NFL superstars and one of the most passionate fan bases in the country. Ole Miss has slutty coeds and a good looking campus. thats it....

1 year from now would be year 2 for a coach who is by no means a no-name, and who has had success on the field and in recruiting over the course of his career.

Not even close to the same situation.

This is year 2 for Freeze at Ole Miss and most fans of college football couldn't have told you who Butch Jones was prior to becoming UT's coach.

Hugh Freeze has also been depicted in a book and movie.

Yeah, pretty close to the same situation.

That all depends on four things. (1) Are the players as good as we scouted them to be? Matt Milton, Toney Williams, Darr, Daniel Brooks, Chris Donaldson,

(2) Do they all get on the field for at least 3 seasons? Just over the past 10 seasons, look at how many really, really good players were dismissed for academic or off field issues and didn't end up really contributing. Bryce Brown, Mike Edwards, NuKeese Richardson, B.J. Coleman,
Montari Hughes, David Oku, D Anthony Arnett, Brent Shafer,

(3) Injuries Naz Oliver

(4) Do the coaches coach them up to get the most of their potential?

This is year 2 for Freeze at Ole Miss and most fans of college football couldn't have told you who Butch Jones was prior to becoming UT's coach.

Hugh Freeze has also been depicted in a book and movie.

Yeah, pretty close to the same situation.

Depicted in a book and movie.... as a high school coach....... meanwhile, plenty of the country knows who Butch Jones is, and he's coming off back to back 10-win seasons in NCAA D-1 football.

Your argument is dumb and you're making it even dumber.

Year 0.

:)

Depicted in a book and movie.... as a high school coach....... meanwhile, plenty of the country knows who Butch Jones is, and he's coming off back to back 10-win seasons in NCAA D-1 football.

Your argument is dumb and you're making it even dumber.

Please read your post, word by word, and tell me who looks dumb. "Plenty of the country knows who Butch Jones is, and he's coming off back to back 10-win seasons in NCAA D-1 football."

First of all, the book and movie reference was sarcasm. Also, Jones didn't win 10 games at UC last year, he won 9. I agree that people know who Jones is now, but couldn't tell you who he was prior to being named UT's coach.

That's not a slam against Jones, he was just coaching small programs that flew under the radar. Not many people had heard of Bruce Pearl prior to his arrival at UT. He had success against the best programs in the nation.

Back to your original post about Ole Miss...YES, this similarities are there. Take off your orange blinders.

How good is the class in reality? UT fans should be used to high ranked classes that completely bust on the field. Fulmer, Kiffin, & Dooley all had such classes.

If it really is as good on the field as it is on paper, which seems to only rarely be the case, then I'd say major turn around when they are sophomores, contenders as juniors.

Please read your post, word by word, and tell me who looks dumb. "Plenty of the country knows who Butch Jones is, and he's coming off back to back 10-win seasons in NCAA D-1 football."

First of all, the book and movie reference was sarcasm. Also, Jones didn't win 10 games at UC last year, he won 9. I agree that people know who Jones is now, but couldn't tell you who he was prior to being named UT's coach.

That's not a slam against Jones, he was just coaching small programs that flew under the radar. Not many people had heard of Bruce Pearl prior to his arrival at UT. He had success against the best programs in the nation.

Back to your original post about Ole Miss...YES, this similarities are there. Take off your orange blinders.

I'll just leave this here for you

2012 Cincinnati Bearcats Football Schedule

Edit: just an FYI Boca I apologize for the hostility. I thought you were a different poster that I argued pretty heavily with recently over the Bray situation (he was hoping Bray would have zero success at the next level and I was arguing with him).

Nothing personal I had you confused with someone else.

Last edited:
I'll just leave this here for you

2012 Cincinnati Bearcats Football Schedule

Edit: just an FYI Boca I apologize for the hostility. I thought you were a different poster that I argued pretty heavily with recently over the Bray situation (he was hoping Bray would have zero success at the next level and I was arguing with him).

Nothing personal I had you confused with someone else.

No worries about hostility...it's all good. I know Cincy won 10 games last year but Jones didn't coach in the bowl game...just like Dooley didn't coach in the UK game. :good!:

No worries about hostility...it's all good. I know Cincy won 10 games last year but Jones didn't coach in the bowl game...just like Dooley didn't coach in the UK game. :good!:

It was VolBraniac I had you confused with. Y'all have similar pictures as your emblem. Again I apologize.

People could and probably will say the same thing about us.

VN Store

Back