How many seasons

If you are filling some holes.....immediately.

If an incoming class is the backbone of the team, a couple of years at least

I'll just leave this here for you

2012 Cincinnati Bearcats Football Schedule

Edit: just an FYI Boca I apologize for the hostility. I thought you were a different poster that I argued pretty heavily with recently over the Bray situation (he was hoping Bray would have zero success at the next level and I was arguing with him).

Nothing personal I had you confused with someone else.

didnt realize that jones beat vtech and beamer last year. saw that when i clicked on your link. would it be fair to say that was a bigger win than dooley had in his whole tenure here? he also apparently beat michigan state in 2009 with central michigan. not bad wins for small schools against better conferences. neither one of those teams were great those years but both should have had superior talent...

I have a co worker that just graduated from Miss st and he has said alot of things about freezes recruiting, i believe its just a matter of time before the hammer comes down on them. could just be hear say but it makes sense.

Last edited:
didnt realize that jones beat vtech and beamer last year. saw that when i clicked on your link. would it be fair to say that was a bigger win than dooley had in his whole tenure here? he also apparently beat michigan state in 2009 with central michigan. not bad wins for small schools against better conferences. neither one of those teams were great those years but both should have had superior talent...

The Va Tech win looked better when it happened. They hit a rough patch during the season. Still, a win against a "big name" program.

heres the difference, TN has a $50 million facility, a 102,455 seat stadium, a couple national titles, tons of all americans and NFL superstars and one of the most passionate fan bases in the country. Ole Miss has slutty coeds and a good looking campus. thats it....

If having a big stadium, new training facility, history, and a passionate fan base were as important as you make it then why has UT sucked recently while TCU, Boise State, & Oregon are playing well?

There's more to it than those things. If a 100K seat stadium was that important then UT, Bama, Ohio State, Penn State, Texas, & Michigan should all be in the NC picture every year.

That all depends on four things. (1) Are the players as good as we scouted them to be? Matt Milton, Toney Williams, Darr, Daniel Brooks, Chris Donaldson,

(2) Do they all get on the field for at least 3 seasons? Just over the past 10 seasons, look at how many really, really good players were dismissed for academic or off field issues and didn't end up really contributing. Bryce Brown, Mike Edwards, NuKeese Richardson, B.J. Coleman,
Montari Hughes, David Oku, D Anthony Arnett, Brent Shafer,

(3) Injuries Naz Oliver

(4) Do the coaches coach them up to get the most of their potential?

All true. Also depends on the roster. It takes 2-3 years on a loaded team. Can be much quicker on a mediocre one like this one.

If having a big stadium, new training facility, history, and a passionate fan base were as important as you make it then why has UT sucked recently while TCU, Boise State, & Oregon are playing well?

There's more to it than those things. If a 100K seat stadium was that important then UT, Bama, Ohio State, Penn State, Texas, & Michigan should all be in the NC picture every year.

obviously its coaching. all those powerhouse programs rise and fall with their coaches but they never go away because of all the other assets they have. oregon doesnt belong in that list by the way because what they lack in tradition they make up for in facilities since theirs are arguably in the top 2-3 in the nation. what i was trying to say originally was that tennessee had all the ingredients and all they were missing was a fired up and enthusiastic coach and we could shoot right back to the top. all ole miss has is the coach. so either hes good enough to completely make up for their lack of everything else or theyre not on the straight and narrow.

Last edited:
I guess Ole Miss will be a case study for this.
Right on. Hotty Toddy.

Ill always be a Vol at heart, but Ole Miss did give me a full ride (and is currently doing so again - so I have to show my respects).
But good point. I believe our head coaches are very similar, in both style and substance. Will be interesting for me to compare the two teams moving forward. I would love to have an SEC championship of these two teams (Go Vols)... But considering that Ole Miss has never even been to an SEC championship, that's highly unlikely to happen

bad example btw. out of these teams only one hasnt won a NC since 1997....

Michigan-won in 1997
Bama- won in 2009, 2011,2012
Ohio State- won in 2002 and made appearance in 2007&2008
Texas- won in 2006, made appearance in 2010

Penn state is the only one who hasnt been to or won since 1997, but theyve still made it to two BCS games in that time.

so yeah i think those teams are in the championship picture most years.

Reactions: 1 person
This is year 2 for Freeze at Ole Miss and most fans of college football couldn't have told you who Butch Jones was prior to becoming UT's coach.

Hugh Freeze has also been depicted in a book and movie.

Yeah, pretty close to the same situation.

Regarding that statement...They haven't been watching football for long then.

bad example btw. out of these teams only one hasnt won a NC since 1997....

Michigan-won in 1997
Bama- won in 2009, 2011,2012
Ohio State- won in 2002 and made appearance in 2007&2008
Texas- won in 2006, made appearance in 2010

Penn state is the only one who hasnt been to or won since 1997, but theyve still made it to two BCS games in that time.

so yeah i think those teams are in the championship picture most years.

The key word being ALL in my post. UT and Penn State haven't been relevant for a while and have the 2nd and 3rd largest stadiums in the country. My point was it takes more than a large stadium.

Regarding that statement...They haven't been watching football for long then.

I've been watching college football for over 30 years. I promise, he wasn't a top tier name. I'm not saying he isn't a good coach, he just hasn't been on the big stage, yet.

The key word being ALL in my post. UT and Penn State haven't been relevant for a while and have the 2nd and 3rd largest stadiums in the country. My point was it takes more than a large stadium.

yes and my point this whole time has been that when you combine those things and coaching you get success, a quicker rise back to the top etc... We have those things now, had them in the 90's and were missing them because we lacked 1 of the two. (a coach) when those programs have great coaches they have great success.

3 years at least for the Vols....we are at the very bottom, but the future looks better after every big name committment...let's hope these young men keep their committment

I have a co worker that just graduated from Miss st and he has said alot of things about freezes recruiting, i believe its just a matter of time before the hammer comes down on them. could just be hear say but it makes sense.

Probably because he is from mississippi state and hates all things ole miss

heres the difference, TN has a $50 million facility, a 102,455 seat stadium, a couple national titles, tons of all americans and NFL superstars and one of the most passionate fan bases in the country. Ole Miss has slutty coeds and a good looking campus. thats it....

The school claims 6

This is year 2 for Freeze at Ole Miss and most fans of college football couldn't have told you who Butch Jones was prior to becoming UT's coach.

Hugh Freeze has also been depicted in a book and movie.

Yeah, pretty close to the same situation.
Actually the coach's name in that movie was Burt Cotton. Unless you happen to know that Freeze was at that high school back then you'd assume Coach Cotton was the coach. Not real sure why they didn't use Freeze's real name but they didn't so I'd say most people don't even know he was the coach because of the movie. So while technically he might have been depicted, he really wasn't.

Actually the coach's name in that movie was Burt Cotton. Unless you happen to know that Freeze was at that high school back then you'd assume Coach Cotton was the coach. Not real sure why they didn't use Freeze's real name but they didn't so I'd say most people don't even know he was the coach because of the movie. So while technically he might have been depicted, he really wasn't.

It was meant as sarcasm...the other poster said Ole Miss had a no name coach, and I said he was depicted in a movie.

How many seasons after a great recruiting class does it take for that to show up on the field. I believe it takes at least 2 and more like 3. Having back to back recruiting class success normally will not show up until year 3 in my opinion. Thoughts?

since 35-40% of recruiting classes fail to complete careers at the school they sign with, what is considered "show up"? hard to define..

for example, 23% of Alabama's # 1 class from 2011 is already off campus (not including Dial who was drafted by NFL this year.)

Like every coach says, recruiting is the lifeblood of a program. But coaching trumps that IMO... There are alot of teams that have had had top 10 classes in the last several years, but it didn't translate on the field. USC and Texas have probably the best talent outside Bama, but crappy coaching has left them mediocre. Even Cal and UCLA had great classes in the late 2000's, but it didn't translate to alot of wins. Hell, look at our recruiting in the early 2000's... Coaching, on the other hand, can make a huge difference in a very short time. As much as I hate James Franklin, he has a very under-talented Vanderbilt team competing at a high level. Bobby Petrino took an Arkansas team that never recruited very well to one of the top 3 teams in the west.

Then there are the teams that actually do recruit well, and when they get a good coach, they return to relevance. Brady Hoke took Michigan back to relevance. Kevin Sumlin has taken aTm to the brink of elite status. Mike Leach made Texas Tech into a huge threat in the Big 12... Oregon hasn't ever had great recruiting classes, but Chip Kelly had them destroying people. There are countless examples of how good coaching can turn mediocre recruiting into 10+ win teams in a BCS conference. I just hope Butch is one of those guys.

It was meant as sarcasm...the other poster said Ole Miss had a no name coach, and I said he was depicted in a movie.

To be fair though, Hugh Freeze's name isn't used in the movie. The high school coach was named Bart Cotton, I believe. Hugh Freeze's name was used in the book, but how many recruits or average fans do you think actually read?

VN Store

Back