How many SEC teams make the 12 team playoff? Which ones?

How CFP teams are selected under new format​

The new 12-team College Football Playoff field will include the six highest-ranked conference champions, which will receive automatic bids. The top four teams will receive a first-round bye to the quarterfinals.

The six highest-ranked teams remaining will round out the 12-team format.

Reactions: cgrish
So is the winner of the Washington State vs Oregon State game considered the Pac12 champion this coming season?
That's a pretty sticky situation. Unless they join with some other teams to form a conference, the answer is yes.

If the 12 team playoff had started this year, 4 SEC teams would've been in.

I don't believe the 6 conference champs rule will survive the next round of tweaks by the CFP committee. Look for them to lower it to 5, by name: SEC, B10, B12, ACC, and highest ranking among all others.

You can bet that the committee will--quite intentionally and deliberately--rank the champs of the Power Four (P4) conferences among the top 12 teams. The 'other' conference champ may often be outside the Top 12.

That means 11 P4 teams will get into the playoffs. Besides the 4 conference champs, there will be 7 at-larges.

As the years pass, there will be pressure to include any "regular season P4 champion who is not also their conference championship game winner." Sort of the way "winning the conference" can be accomplished two different ways in basketball.

I think most years, 3 to 5 SEC teams will make the playoffs. Very rarely, only 2 will. Even more rarely, 6 could. But usually 3 to 5.

What will it be this season? Impossible to guess. So I'll say 4: Tennessee, Georgia, LSU, and A&M. Yeah, I said it. Jimbo will have a resurgence now that his arch-nemesis pen pal Nick has left the chat. Heh.

Go Vols!

I don't believe the 6 conference champs rule will survive the next round of tweaks by the CFP committee. Look for them to lower it to 5, by name: SEC, B10, B12, ACC, and highest ranking among all others.

You can bet that the committee will--quite intentionally and deliberately--rank the champs of the Power Four (P4) conferences among the top 12 teams. The 'other' conference champ may often be outside the Top 12.

That means 11 P4 teams will get into the playoffs. Besides the 4 conference champs, there will be 7 at-larges.

As the years pass, there will be pressure to include any "regular season P4 champion who is not also their conference championship game winner." Sort of the way "winning the conference" can be accomplished two different ways in basketball.

I think most years, 3 to 5 SEC teams will make the playoffs. Very rarely, only 2 will. Even more rarely, 6 could. But usually 3 to 5.

What will it be this season? Impossible to guess. So I'll say 4: Tennessee, Georgia, LSU, and A&M. Yeah, I said it. Jimbo will have a resurgence now that his arch-nemesis pen pal Nick has left the chat. Heh.

Go Vols!
Jimbo? You do know he was fired right?

I an curious to see the effect of the 8 game schedule on the SEC won loss records. The probability of this reducing the number of SEC teams in the playoff is high. I think the SEC will eventually create a new conference, kick out the weak sisters and replace them with other top football schools, creating super conference that would have its own playoff and championship. Why share?

I think you are going to have 4 max. Willing to bet the committee gets SEC fatigue towards the end of the season and drops someone even if they win, like they did with FSU.

Both teams that make the Championship game should make it, now that we are dropping divisions. and then you have at least one more in the Top 10. and then a school who should have been 12 will get dropped for a lower rated conference champ.

I will be interested to see if it remains 6 conference champs, with only a "Power 4" now, you will have two "at large" conference champs. and some years that will be a really bad team sneaking in.
This. I'm thinking Georgia, Ole Miss, and Alabama will get in and Tennessee and Texas will have a full season battle for the 4th spot.

It WAS 5 P5 conference champions and highest ranked G5 conference champion, but PAC no longer exists, so now 4 conference champions and 1 G5 Champ, so 7 at-large. I would guess ACC and Big12 would have max 1 at-large each(Big12 shouldn't have any imo, but who knows), so that leaves 5 split between Big10 and SEC, so minimum 3, max 5 from SEC each year?

How many SEC teams make the 12 team playoff? Which ones?

4-5?

any prediction by anyone at this juncture would be just pure luck to get right. No one has any idea what rosters look like or how much more they will change before August. This would be a total guess with no data to predict.

I'll guess 3 from the SEC... Ole Miss, Texas and Missouri..

Reactions: KTrain
I say 5, Tennessee, Georgia, Missouri (cause their schedule is EASY), Texas (See Missouri), and Ole Miss

It's reasonable to have at least 6 make it, if you use the final 2023 top polls. 6 SEC teams are in the top 12.

I went back to late November and first week of December and some teams flip flopped, but the AP had 6 SEC or would be SEC (Texas/OK) teams consistently ranked in the top 12.

If all conference champions have automatic bids, that's obviously one automatic for the SEC. It's reasonable that outside of the conference champs getting in, the field is made up of mostly SEC teams......

Someone please explain the playoff format. Do conference champs have automatic bids?

The way I unerstand it each conference champ is in automatic. That is 5 in the p5. Also the g1 champ is in. So I would say whoever else is ranked in top 12 would be in.

I an curious to see the effect of the 8 game schedule on the SEC won loss records. The probability of this reducing the number of SEC teams in the playoff is high. I think the SEC will eventually create a new conference, kick out the weak sisters and replace them with other top football schools, creating super conference that would have its own playoff and championship. Why share?

I agree it reduces the chance of sec getting in the playoffs. Too many on the committee go by the won loss record regardless of the teams they play. an 11 and 1 acc team will be rated higher than an 10 and 2 sec team.

Reactions: VOLtaism
The B1G could do the same, then the winners meet for a collegiate super bowl.

IMO its situational, how many G5 teams are undefeated and in the top 12, every conference champ goes. I'd say.
SEC = 3 or 4
B1G = 3 or 4
B-12 = 2 or 3
ACC = 2 or 3
G5 best= 1 or 2
So, on some years with just 1 G5 the SEC or the B1G will have 4 & 3 that's 8, then 2 each from ACC & B-12 = 12
In a year when B1G & SEC both have 4, the ACC or B-12 one of those will just have 1 the conference champ or the G5 will be left out if no undefeated G5
Not sure if Notre Dame would fall in ACC or high level independent.

I say 5, Tennessee, Georgia, Missouri (cause their schedule is EASY), Texas (See Missouri), and Ole Miss
I think Missouri D really drops off they lost a lot, and their D coordinator knew that and took the money and ran. They will miss their 25 runs a game back that helped keep the D off the field and controlled TOP. They do have the easiest schedule in the SEC, but they still play 4 or 5 teams that could go either way IMO.

The way I unerstand it each conference champ is in automatic. That is 5 in the p5. Also the g1 champ is in. So I would say whoever else is ranked in top 12 would be in.

Your right. It's it up to people voting the top 25 in the VFP poll. Not invitations

Reactions: cgrish

VN Store

Back