How many Tennessee receivers have at least 12 TDs in a season?

Different era and also back then we were WRU the balls had to be spread around a lot. 10td's in a season is a lot even these days for a WR. PAC12 you saw a lot of it and smaller schools but most P5/4 schools are rarely focusing down a single guy. Below is the SEC single season TD leaders as reciver since 1956... notice almost all of them are in the 2000's

View attachment 644122
You're right that 10 TDs is a big number for a season, but some of the career totals are hard for me to get my head around. For instance, no way would I have guessed Jason Witten and Alvin Kamara only caught 7 TDs in their careers. We threw it to them a lot for multiple seasons.

To show how odd the stat is . . . players with more than 7 or more career TDs include: Derrick Tinsley, Luke Stocker, Ethan Wolf, Chris Hannon, etc. It's just a right place, right time stat in some cases. Witten is a future NFL Hall of Famer that played in some pass happy offenses, yet he's tied for 46th all time on our TD reception list lol.

I get that for the older guys back in the 80s, but still we're talking career numbers here. You're right that 10 TDs is a big number for a season, but some of the career totals are hard for me to get my head around. For instance, no way would I have guessed Jason Witten and Alvin Kamara only caught 7 TDs in their careers. We threw it to them a lot for multiple seasons.
As I pointed out only 5 people in SEC history have 30 ore more career TD's. If you ignore the insane numbers Devonta Smith put up (46 total half of those in 1 year) the most anyone else in SEC history has had is 31. Yes we had a lot of guys that caught a lot of TD's but they all played together... Jason Witten only had 7 career TD's. Just to give some sort of context.. Calvin Johnson aka Megatron only had 28 career td's. Its not that those guys didn't get a lot of balls its just numbers are so nuts now its hard to compare stats from the 90's to the 00's 10's and 20's.

A bit more perspective. Single season TD passes. of the top 20 in the SEC 16 happened post-2000 the other 4 all happened in the late 90's (96-98 to be exact) In fact look at the below list the latest guy was in 1995. Spurriers gators made throwing 30 td's in a season a thing. We have seen so many ridiculous season lately it messes up how we see past stats. Burrows 2019 season broke the stat books.

1717006116802.png

You're right that 10 TDs is a big number for a season, but some of the career totals are hard for me to get my head around. For instance, no way would I have guessed Jason Witten and Alvin Kamara only caught 7 TDs in their careers. We threw it to them a lot for multiple seasons.

To show how odd the stat is . . . players with more than 7 or more career TDs include: Derrick Tinsley, Luke Stocker, Ethan Wolf, Chris Hannon, etc. It's just a right place, right time stat in some cases. Witten is a future NFL Hall of Famer that played in some pass happy offenses, yet he's tied for 46th all time on our TD reception list lol.
Witten wasn’t really a go to guy until his third year. He had some great moments, like the Michigan play, but his freshman year he was just converting to tight end, then in 01 John Finlayson got a lot of snaps while Washington and Stallworth got a lot of targets. Then when Witten broke out, Clausen missed a few games.

I seriously doubt what you said is true. That would be a horrible way to make the point.
Go back and read. Poster corrected use of #15 wasn't Hyatts number to #11. #15 was back breaker as set up winning fg. No catch by Bru and Hyatts 5 tds is nice, but all for naught. Don't see how "horrible way to make the point." May stem from your poster name...your miserable. Look for the controversy. Goodday suh!

Last edited:

VN Store

Back