How Stanford gave Oregon their Lone Loss last season

Worley HAS to play well for us to have a chance. He can't under throw his receivers against them. One mistake against Oregon and they can run off and score 21 before we know it. I have faith in these guys. You better believe Butch will have a gameplan.

Oregon may be better on paper, but football is played on grass. Don't give up on these guys!

Reactions: 4 people
We pretty much need to score either a TD or FG on every drive.

More than a couple 3 and outs and we're dead.

Reactions: 1 person
We pretty much need to score either a TD or FG on every drive.

More than a couple 3 and outs and we're dead.

This. Sustainable drives. If our D is on the field too long and they get worn out, OR'll capitalize in a big, big way.

i think the whole key to that box score was the rushing yards. They kept them under 200 yards but more importantly no one rushed over 100, and the QB was the leader in rushing. They kill people with their speed around the corners. Keeping their ground game in check is key for us to be in this ball game. Make them beat us through the air. If we can keep their RB's in check we may not win but we will keep it respectable and may just turn a few heads nationally.

Nobody thought we had a chance in these games either:

Auburn 1985
Miami 1985
Notre Dame 1991
Florida 2001
Miami 2003
Georgia 2004

The above would be meaningless if we didn't have a football coach again.... but we do.

Reactions: 7 people
Oregon isn't as good as last year. Their defense is okay at best. Our defense needs to contain their speedsters and force them to make points the hard way.

the most telling stat to me is that stanford ran the ball almost 50 times and that oregon was 4 of 17 on 3rd down. sticking with the running game is obviously the way to go and just pounding away, keeping the O offense off the field seems to keep them out of rhythm as it does most teams. also stanfords qb numbers are not impressive. 36 passing attempts for 200 yards? lot of swing passes and short passes it looks like. hopefully we can take these pages out of their book

TOP in conjunction with limited TO's is a recipe for success. Stanford held the ball for 15+ min more than Oregon. In UO's world that could easily lead to 4 TD's. If they don't have the ball they can't score, simple as that.

I watched the whole game last year. Stanford showed excellent athleticism and intelligence in the defensive backfield. Those guys were anticipating, taking great angles on running plays and making sure tackles near the line of scrimmage. Covered the receivers solidly as well. One guy (either #6 or #8, I don't remember which) was all over the place making athletic plays. I remember being really impressed with how those DBs kept up with and neutralized University of Nike's speed.

TOP in conjunction with limited TO's is a recipe for success. Stanford held the ball for 15+ min more than Oregon. In UO's world that could easily lead to 4 TD's. If they don't have the ball they can't score, simple as that.

Related to TOP I would add that when OU does have the ball we need to make the churn out sustained drives and not give up the quick strikes. Obviously that increases their TOP but it should put them out of their comfort zone.

UVA had some success with the middle of the field against them. it didnt result in alot of points but they could keep the chains moving. Runs up the middle and TE, RBs, and Wrs across the middle and underneath had some success. Also, Oregon could not run up the middle against UVA. Mariota broke one long run up the middle on a QB draw and that was it. Oregon loves to hit the edges and thats what scares me

OR CB's are scary good, especially Ekpre-Olomu who is shut down corner & 3 year starter. LB's, not so much.

If OL can control LOS & get to second level, Neal & Lane should have a great success between the tackles. Until Ducks put 8 in the box. Then it is up to Worley & his band of inexperienced WR's to make them respect the pass.

So excited to be at Autzen this Saturday.

Required reading. So so good.

Stanford was using a 3-4 Defense very effectively. The Vols, probably not so effectively. We shall see what the scheme will be, and how well the Vols perform in it.

I have faith that this will not be a 30 pt loss, and hopefully, a 1 point win. (Wow, does that sound weak, or what?)

Stanford was using a 3-4 Defense very effectively. The Vols, probably not so effectively. We shall see what the scheme will be, and how well the Vols perform in it.

I have faith that this will not be a 30 pt loss, and hopefully, a 1 point win. (Wow, does that sound weak, or what?)

i almost wonder if we will go to a nickel package every play to match the speed better and dare oregon to run up the middle

Oregon had just 1 TO, Stanford had 3. Interesting.

Stanfords QB was 25-36. Not a Worley basher but I have serious doubts he could throw that well

TOP will be key. Executing and possibly wearing down the D in the 4th qtr.

Worley can do what they had their guy do. They were mostly short passes. They used their TE's alot.

UT needs to make them E-W and not N-S on D. Avoid those big play run lanes. Maintain gap discipline. Don't allow their WR's to keep their blocks.

Oregon lives on the big play. Stanford seemed to frustrate them by disallowing big plays. UT has no worse than equal athleticism to Stanford on D. Stanford by no stretch of the imagination is the most athletic D Oregon has played recently.

Of all the things I am "sure" of... I am sure that Jones and staff have memorized that game film.

Nobody thought we had a chance in these games either:

Auburn 1985
Miami 1985
Notre Dame 1991
Florida 2001
Miami 2003
Georgia 2004

The above would be meaningless if we didn't have a football coach again.... but we do.

Everyone of those teams were much better than the team we have now. That's not a knock on our current team, but it's not a fair comparison.

If this team did beat Oregon, it very likely could be the biggest UT upset ever, depending on if Oregon ended up as good as we think they are.

Huge difference in knowing how to beat Oregon and actually being capable of doing it.

This.

I'm pretty sure Oregon St., Kansas St., and Virginia all watched the Stanford game too (3 FBS teams they've played since Stanford).

Not to mention the small detail that Stanford was the Pac-12 and Rose Bowl champions last year.

VN Store

Back