How Stanford gave Oregon their Lone Loss last season

Oregon had just 1 TO, Stanford had 3. Interesting.

Stanfords QB was 25-36. Not a Worley basher but I have serious doubts he could throw that well

TOP will be key. Executing and possibly wearing down the D in the 4th qtr.

TOP doesn't matter. Never mattered. Will never matter. Ever.

-PortlandDuck

who are Oregon's weapons besides Mariotta and DAT?

They were the primary guys vs UVA. They had two guys around 50 yds receiving. If I am not mistaken, their starting RB was ineffective.

They had more guys with good stats vs Nicholls St but seemed to turn to their two primary guys vs stiffer competition.

I think you have to flatten them out in the run game first then collapse the pocket in the passing game to make it harder to hit their preferred routes.

They were the primary guys vs UVA. They had two guys around 50 yds receiving. If I am not mistaken, their starting RB was ineffective.

They had more guys with good stats vs Nicholls St but seemed to turn to their two primary guys vs stiffer competition.

I think you have to flatten them out in the run game first then collapse the pocket in the passing game to make it harder to hit their preferred routes.

This. Oregon wants Thomas with the ball. Blow him up every chance you get in the backfield. You want the lesser talented runner with the ball in his hands and if the QB has the ball in his hands, he's fair game. Gotta have solid, HARD hits on these two which will only come from staying in front of them and maintaining you're assignment. CBJ's philosophy of "swarming the ball" will be on full display here. It's one thing to stop Antonio Andrews, Oregon's style is a whole different beast.

the most telling stat to me is that stanford ran the ball almost 50 times and that oregon was 4 of 17 on 3rd down. sticking with the running game is obviously the way to go and just pounding away, keeping the O offense off the field seems to keep them out of rhythm as it does most teams. also stanfords qb numbers are not impressive. 36 passing attempts for 200 yards? lot of swing passes and short passes it looks like. hopefully we can take these pages out of their book

I was just going to mention this. 25 completions for 211 yards = a whole lot of dinking and dunking. Screens, flares, quick outs and slants over the middle, particularly to the tight ends, we haven't seen a lot of those thus far. Hmm. Could Butch be holding this element of the passing game in reserve, specifically for Oregon? Those are high-percentage, chain-moving passes that Justin is certainly capable of executing.

He's the backup RB actually, but yeah he didn't do well.

I expect Tyner will see some time against UT this weekend. He's more of a between the tackles kind of runner.

To the last paragraph, much easier said than done.

Reactions: 1 person
More important takeaways from the Stanford game include the following:

(1) Stanford did not yield a pass play over 28 yards in length and only one run over 16 yards, which was a mammoth 77-yard, nonscoring run by Mariota. We will be hard pressed to duplicate that level of containment.

(2) Although time of possession may be irrelevant in Oregon's scheme, Stanford, nevertheless, held a commanding 37:05-22:55 advantage in that category. It is incumbent upon us to do everything in our power to minimize the number of possessions for Oregon.

(3) Of Oregon's 14 possessions in regulation time (see Stanford Cardinal vs. Oregon Ducks - Drivechart - November 17, 2012 - ESPN), Stanford forced eight punts (including 3 three-and-outs), one turnover and two turnovers on downs. Again, a very challenging goal to match.

(4) This was a road victory for Stanford, so Butch can point to that in preparations this week. Unfortunately, our program is not presently on a par with Stanford's, although signs are definitely indicating that we are, at last, moving in the right direction again.

We will win TOP easily, essentially every team Oregon plays does it. They don't really care about TOP. They are much more dependent on big plays and fast drives. If we can deprive them of the football AND limit the big plays in critical situations, we have a chance.

Im sure the staff had plenty time to study the Stanford game & scheme for them over the summer with refinement & tweaking done this week.

I wonder if a 4-2-5 or running something similar with a rover/spur would help? I doubt there's enough time to implement something like and our guys don't need more thinking on their plate since they obviously struggled with that aspect last year. I could be wrong but I thought Wilcox imposed some variation of that when he was at Boise to make up for their lack of size by using more speed, specifically when they played UO, and Patterson has made a living off that at TCU.

Oregon isn't as good as last year. Their defense is okay at best. Our defense needs to contain their speedsters and force them to make points the hard way.

We will see first hand how bad our depth is on defense

VN Store

Back