How would the 1992 team have done...

I will agree that it was time for Majors to retire; however, when Phil was acting as head coach while Majors was in the hospital he opened up the offense and was throwing deep on 3rd and long and then when he got the job he pulled everything back and coached totally different.

In short Majors was playing field position ball like in the 50’s and the game passed him by.

Fulmer was trying to play 3 yards and a cloud of dust and Spurrier came and changed the game and Phil couldn’t keep up.

I still can’t believe how many costly losses we’ve had in Columbia, SC. That Mose Phillips run, however, is still my all-time favorite play.
John Ward's call of that play is iconic.

Imagine if Bumbling Bob made the call.
"Mose Hayden, I mean Aaron Phillips, takes it down field into the cheggar boards. "

Reactions: Ernie McCracken
I was at the game when we played Arkansas at Neyland in 92. Ranked 3rd in the country and rolling and Majors comes back early and we lose. That was a tough day on Rocky Top, we should have never lost that game.

Reactions: wmcovol
No one was beating Bama that year. Their two DEs that year were the best pair on a field I've ever seen at the same time in college. Their D was suffocating. Their Offense was crap, but they only had to score 10 points. However, our two losses to Arky and SC were inexcusable. It was all due to Johnny rushing back because of his ego. But let the man rest in peace, Johnny was all Vol, as was Fulmer...both of them, to a fault.

It's hard to admit but Bama was just better that year. We played them as well an anybody. I wonder if Shuler hadn't gotten dinged if maybe we're able to score again in the 4th qtr. He said he had a slight concussion. I've always wondered if wasn't a little worse than that. Anybody know? Everything offensively just seemed not quite right that last part of the game after we finally were getting some things going. But, as has been said, Bama had an all time great defense. They were as good as any I've seen.

It's hard to admit but Bama was just better that year. We played them as well an anybody. I wonder if Shuler hadn't gotten dinged if maybe we're able to score again in the 4th qtr. He said he had a slight concussion. I've always wondered if wasn't a little worse than that. Anybody know? Everything offensively just seemed not quite right that last part of the game after we finally were getting some things going. But, as has been said, Bama had an all time great defense. They were as good as any I've seen.
I talked to Heath once and he said that one of those DEs, can't remember which, hit him in the neck /head with his helmet. Wasn't a dirty play, just happened. So yeah, he said he probably had a concussion but he also could barely turn his head the last part part of the game. I'm not sure about timing...maybe happened early 3rd quarter? I believe he said it was the hardest hit of his career at any level

I was 9 years old in '92. My dad took me to the TSIO in Knoxville. We were listening to the post-game call-in show while making the slow crawl back to I-40. There were two calls I will never forget:

"I was just wondering, when Coach Majors was having his heart surgery, did the doctors accidentally remove a piece of his brain?"

And

"Would it have been too much to ask that the doctors just let Coach Majors die on the table?"

I’m
I was 9 years old in '92. My dad took me to the TSIO in Knoxville. We were listening to the post-game call-in show while making the slow crawl back to I-40. There were two calls I will never forget:

"I was just wondering, when Coach Majors was having his heart surgery, did the doctors accidentally remove a piece of his brain?"

And

"Would it have been too much to ask that the doctors just let Coach Majors die on the table?"
Still, too soon…

if Fulmer coached the entire season? I'm sure everyone knows the drama surrounding the Majors/ Fulmer drama, but would having consistent coaching have made them a national champion contender?

I was 5 at the time, so I wasn't watching at that point, but what about you people who did? Looking at the first half of the season, it looks like they were playing like a championship team.
liked for pfp

Majors came back a month earlier than expected because the team was doing so well without him. His ego got the best of him and cost the Vols a spot in the first SECCG.

in the first game back, he lost to a very bad Arkansas team that came into the Tenn game 1-4 on the way to a 3 win season. Arkansas had a very good front 7 against the run so of course Majors spent the entire game establishing the run (Fulmer had opened up the offense in Majors absence). Vols struggled to take the lead late before Arkansas had a long punt return and then completed a long lucky pass that allowed the Hogs to kick a FG to pull out the win.

Second game back, Majors pulled his annual choke job vs Alabama. It was a very good Alabama team but the Vols stayed way too conservative. Had a chance to win at the end but were unable to pull it out.

3rd game back, Ol Johnny went to Columbia, SC and lost to a 2-5 Gamecock team that was the only win Arkansas had coming into Knoxville, They were bad. Again, Johnny was gonna reestablish "Tennessee Football" and run the ball up the middle. Messed around and didn't open up the passing game until it was too late and the Vols failed on the 2 point conversion to lost the game. IF they had just won vs South Carolina, the Vols would have been in the SECCG. But, he couldn't even pull that off.

Johnny is to be commended for assembling what are agruably the most talented teams in Tennessee history in 89-92. However, his hardheadedness and obsession to be in control of everything hamstrung everyone of those teams and kept them from the greatness they should have achieved. The 1992 season was the final straw and Majors hung himself by his actions during the summer before that season whining about his salary to anyone who would listen.

Majors actually came back for the LSU game. I remember too well. My first trip to Vegas and we watched from the Caesars sports book area. Tennessee was up 20 - 0 at halftime. I bet the spread (my first time ever betting at a sports book) and I felt pretty good. The second half spread was a so low, it was ridiculous, VEGAS KNOWS, game ended 20 - 0.

I brought some friends from New York down for the Arkansas game; their first taste of southern football. That game was awful. After the game, I took them to the Old City, there was no one there, the whole place was deserted. I had to listen to how amazing an atmosphere the New York Giants were for years.

Reactions: Backwards K
Majors actually came back for the LSU game. I remember too well. My first trip to Vegas and we watched from the Caesars sports book area. Tennessee was up 20 - 0 at halftime. I bet the spread (my first time ever betting at a sports book) and I felt pretty good. The second half spread was a so low, it was ridiculous, VEGAS KNOWS, game ended 20 - 0.

I brought some friends from New York down for the Arkansas game; their first taste of southern football. That game was awful. After the game, I took them to the Old City, there was no one there, the whole place was deserted. I had to listen to how amazing an atmosphere the New York Giants were for years.
That was his first game back but didn't he sit in the press box for that one?

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
Majors came back a month earlier than expected because the team was doing so well without him. His ego got the best of him and cost the Vols a spot in the first SECCG.

in the first game back, he lost to a very bad Arkansas team that came into the Tenn game 1-4 on the way to a 3 win season. Arkansas had a very good front 7 against the run so of course Majors spent the entire game establishing the run (Fulmer had opened up the offense in Majors absence). Vols struggled to take the lead late before Arkansas had a long punt return and then completed a long lucky pass that allowed the Hogs to kick a FG to pull out the win.

Second game back, Majors pulled his annual choke job vs Alabama. It was a very good Alabama team but the Vols stayed way too conservative. Had a chance to win at the end but were unable to pull it out.

3rd game back, Ol Johnny went to Columbia, SC and lost to a 2-5 Gamecock team that was the only win Arkansas had coming into Knoxville, They were bad. Again, Johnny was gonna reestablish "Tennessee Football" and run the ball up the middle. Messed around and didn't open up the passing game until it was too late and the Vols failed on the 2 point conversion to lost the game. IF they had just won vs South Carolina, the Vols would have been in the SECCG. But, he couldn't even pull that off.

Johnny is to be commended for assembling what are agruably the most talented teams in Tennessee history in 89-92. However, his hardheadedness and obsession to be in control of everything hamstrung everyone of those teams and kept them from the greatness they should have achieved. The 1992 season was the final straw and Majors hung himself by his actions during the summer before that season whining about his salary to anyone who would listen.
I thought I remembered that Majors 1st game back was LSU and we ran the ball on them and the score was closer than what was expected.

Reactions: Backwards K
Abolutely no question we beat Arkansas and USC jr with Fulmer, and as for bammer, who knows? But for sure we would have gone to the SECCG. Just think if the bammer game had gone down the same way, then with just one loss we get a rematch. Anything could have happened, although it was at Legion Field that year, so basically a home game for the rollturds.

I don't know how many recall this, but when we played Arkansas we were ranked, I think 3rd or 4th, in the AP, had upset both uga and Florida, beat Florida convincingly, and Arkansas was winless, having lost at home to The Citidel. You did not misread that. They lost at home to The Citedel and fired their coach on the spot, then a couple weeks later beat us at Neyland.

It wasn't just that we lost to Arkansas....some years that would not be a disgrace. But in 1992 it DAM SURE was!

I was more than ready for Johnny to be gone and take all his empty whiskey bottles with him after that.

I thought I remembered that Majors 1st game back was LSU and we ran the ball on them and the score was closer than what was expected.
Yeah. It was 20-0. but not a very impressive win. Vols looked kind of punchless, like they were on cruise control.

VN Store

Back