How's the turf looking?

Settle down. Real grass is preferred. All these folks making a federal case over the turf. Wet grass is slippery. There I said it. When it rains all day footing will be soggy.
I guess it had to be said.

Don't know how it would work in Knoxville, but my yard in West TN has a hardy mix of crab and poa annua (the latter is especially fit with all the rain this summer). It requires amazingly little effort on my part to maintain a lush green lawn. It seems impossible to damage whether mowing short or high, and I haven't had to water or fertilize in years.

Maybe I'll give Butch a call, or would Bain be the better option? Always better to reach the top dog right off the bat.

Poa Annua is a pain to putt on.

Reactions: 2 people
All this zoysia talk is silly, it does not repair fast enough for that kind of wear and tear. Very few courses in the south use it for that specific reason and it takes much longer to establish

Summertime on VN......

Guys-At-Lawnmower-king-of-the-hill-10923640-720-480.jpg

That's a Mason 1500 I tell ya what.

Reactions: 2 people
Too much water was the culprit last year. UT needs to step it up to Zoysia grass and cut it down like Augusta. Playing on Zoysia fairways would be a beautiful site. GBO

Augusta does not use Zoysia grass.

All this zoysia talk is silly, it does not repair fast enough for that kind of wear and tear. Very few courses in the south use it for that specific reason and it takes much longer to establish
Can't really comment on repair - but since you go by landscapingvol, I'm assuming you know it fairly well. However, isn't Zoysia a tough grass that stands up to abuse better than bermuda? At least it seems to at ORCC where I play. I also thought it fills in rather fast?

Can't really comment on repair - but since you go by landscapingvol, I'm assuming you know it fairly well. However, isn't Zoysia a tough grass that stands up to abuse better than bermuda? At least it seems to at ORCC where I play. I also thought it fills in rather fast?

I installed zoysia in middle tennessee back in 2011, grew it from sprigs so I consider myself an expert on the subject.

If the only concern was color, zoysia is the first to green up and last to go brown, opposite of what someone else said. My zoysia is still green when I am putting up Christmas lights.

That said color is not the issue. Problems with zoysia and football are multiple. You can't cut it as short as Bermuda meaning it would be slower. And it does not recover from damage as quickly as bermuda. And it retains more water in the leaf meaning it is slippery when wet, more so than. Bermuda.

Zoysia golf courses are plentiful in the south, whoever said they are not is simply wrong. Your more expensive courses have zoysia and to say it limits tee shots would be like advocating for dead pan fairways.

The Titans and Vols havery the same problem, there is no "perfect" grass for this climate that will be playable from August to December. The solution is what Green Bay did and put in an in-ground heating element. Yes it's expensive but it would greatly benefit both fields for any play in November and December.

Augusta National that we see during the Masters is a heavy overseed of Rye grass. When u walk on it it feels like summer Zoysia but of course Augusta doesn't look anything now like it does in the spring but I agree that zoysia would be the way to go.

You are exactly right, Augusta doesn't have zoysia. I I have read the new turf at Neyland is Lattiude 36, a new strand of Bermuda that is somewhat shade tolerant as opposed to zoysia.

I'm not absolutely positive that some of you are as much of experts as you seem to be. Here's what I'm willing to do: come over to my house, and I'll divide the lawn into sections. Each of you maintain it as best you can for 3, no 5, no let's make it 12 years, and at the end of that project I'll judge who did the best. And I won't charge you any entry fee.

Go Vols!

Reactions: 7 people
You are exactly right, Augusta doesn't have zoysia. I I have read the new turf at Neyland is Lattiude 36, a new strand of Bermuda that is somewhat shade tolerant as opposed to zoysia.

Interesting about the Latitude 36. I believe the Redskins and Eagles use that strand.

No it does not repair better than improved Bermuda grasses, maybe common Bermuda and no it does not take wear and tear better. I know some courses use it but it is a very high maintenance turfgrass

Augusta does not use Zoysia grass.

I tried to cover that in the overseed section...Augusta National is HEAVILY, HEAVILY overseed with Rye to look great on TV....and is the burr in every greens keepers saddle...Overseeding really effects the Bermuda after it dies out and takes longer to "green up". Many courses are gravitating away from overseed in the fairways and greens but still use it on the teeing areas. Someone said earlier that zoysia fairways are preferred by average golfers world wide because the ball sits up nicely. That's true but if you catch it the lest bit heavy Zoysia will certainly impede solid contact and will actually cause you to "sky" shots without crisp compression of the ball. SOOOO Zoysia is not the cure all for a bad ball striker...actually Bermuda can be much easier to play off of if you know what you're doing...I still personally think Zoysia would make a great playing surface in Neyland...there's several new strands of Zoysia that are really durable....I have Palisade and it runs almost like Bermuda and the root system is far better IMO...

I tried to cover that in the overseed section...Augusta National is HEAVILY, HEAVILY overseed with Rye to look great on TV....and is the burr in every greens keepers saddle...Overseeding really effects the Bermuda after it dies out and takes longer to "green up". Many courses are gravitating away from overseed in the fairways and greens but still use it on the teeing areas. Someone said earlier that zoysia fairways are preferred by average golfers world wide because the ball sits up nicely. That's true but if you catch it the lest bit heavy Zoysia will certainly impede solid contact and will actually cause you to "sky" shots without crisp compression of the ball. SOOOO Zoysia is not the cure all for a bad ball striker...actually Bermuda can be much easier to play off of if you know what you're doing...I still personally think Zoysia would make a great playing surface in Neyland...there's several new strands of Zoysia that are really durable....I have Palisade and it runs almost like Bermuda and the root system is far better IMO...

I mixed el toro with palisades, keeping el toro in the shade and both grasses have merged and colored nicely, it's my parents lawn and the grandkids play on it all the time as well as neighbors, no bare spots and no yellowing, I'm dealing with some fungus in shady areas, we had the neighbor cut his pin oak back and now the shrooms are under control, when I cut it low in the fall it seems like it would make a great playing field for football.
I think it has to be at around 3 inches to stay healthy, I keep it cut over 4.5 during the summer so it retains more moisture and absorbs more sunlight, but when the cold hits it's dormant fast .

Coincidence that there isn't an open practice and we haven't seen practices in Neyland? The more you use the more it's abused. Simple physics really...

Coincidence that there isn't an open practice and we haven't seen practices in Neyland? The more you use the more it's abused. Simple physics really...

Yeah but should see what the turf can handle and how fast it can actually recover so there aren't any divets or balls of grass flying around , in the other hand mowing is extremely devastating to grass anyways, grass wants to be tall and seed out then you need to introduce more nutrients and water to the soil so it can repair itself.

Does anyone know what the Bristol turf will be??? sodded? a constructed artificial turf assembly with give.????/

UT needs to do whatever Baylor does to their field. It was amazing during some really wet weather last season.

VN Store

Back