Huge program win

cherokeeeVOL

I am most impressed with our defense tonight. We all talked about how amazing the D-line is but our corners and LBs showed up and showed out tonight along with the pressure from the line we’re expecting. Was our offense good? Honestly I think they were good enough considering the circumstances. Our offensive line was essentially down two starters and that is significant. My only criticism is maybe we could have attacked the edges in the run game more often but I’m not a football coach. We did what needed to be done when it needed to be done and I’m very pleased. Heal up this bye week and let’s get after it on the 6th against Arkansas.

Absolutely a great team win. I think Josh throttled it back a little too soon, but with the way the defense was suffocating them, it's hard to fault him. They need to clean up the penalties, especially silly ones like Carter's on a 4th down. Fortunately it didn't cost them tonight.

Super impressed with Nico's poise and command in his first real test in a hostile environment against a really good defense. That, and the defense showing itself as a truly dominant unit, are the two things that really raise the potential ceiling of this group.

I am most impressed with our defense tonight. We all talked about how amazing the D-line is but our corners and LBs showed up and showed out tonight along with the pressure from the line we’re expecting. Was our offense good? Honestly I think they were good enough considering the circumstances. Our offensive line was essentially down two starters and that is significant. My only criticism is maybe we could have attacked the edges in the run game more often but I’m not a football coach. We did what needed to be done when it needed to be done and I’m very pleased. Heal up this bye week and let’s get after it on the 6th against Arkansas.
Hey, Brooks and Turrentine broke up some passes too.

Oklahoma is good. Lots of talent. No quit in them.

Read this week that ranked talent on eaxh teams roster based on stars etc from recruiting...OK was 7th best in the nation and UT was 17th. So they have considerably more bluechip recruits on their roster than we do. We looked like a much more talented team tho..

Our 2025 class will change this. We have 14 players in the top 300, and 7 from the top100 in the 247 composite recruit rankings which consider all the sites. We will definitely have a top 10 roster next year. Sadly we will not have 4 out of our 6 best defensive tackles or Pearce next season. We have really talented 4 and 5 star kids behind them...but we wont be nearly as deep on Dline. Expect us to grab 2 new DTs in the portal for big $$$ as well as a DE or 2 as well.

Read this week that ranked talent on eaxh teams roster based on stars etc from recruiting...OK was 7th best in the nation and UT was 17th. So they have considerably more bluechip recruits on their roster than we do. We looked like a much more talented team tho..

Our 2025 class will change this. We have 14 players in the top 300, and 7 from the top100 in the 247 composite recruit rankings which consider all the sites. We will definitely have a top 10 roster next year. Sadly we will not have 4 out of our 6 best defensive tackles or Pearce next season. We have really talented 4 and 5 star kids behind them...but we wont be nearly as deep on Dline. Expect us to grab 2 new DTs in the portal for big $$$ as well as a DE or 2 as well.
I think Oklahoma will be much more formidable next year; especially if their QB gets a year under his belt!

So was LSU in 2022.
I thought so too...but Herbstreit said we were 0-29 in our last 29 games vs a top 15 team on the road. No way we have played half that many since 2022. So LSU must have been ranked slightly outside the top 15 when we just annihilated them in baton rouge 46-10 or whatever in 2022...

I think Oklahoma will be much more formidable next year; especially if their QB gets a year under his belt!
They will be good...but they lose most of their secondary IIRC and hopefully their AA at LB is gone after this year too. Look forward to seeing them in Knox though. We will beat that arse in Neyland

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
I thought so too...but Herbstreit said we were 0-29 in our last 29 games vs a top 15 team on the road. No way we have played half that many since 2022. So LSU must have been ranked slightly outside the top 15 when we just annihilated them in baton rouge 46-10 or whatever in 2022...
I think LSU was like 22nd. I may be off, but I think I am close.

I’d definitely agree with you on not trying to run outside at all. Linebackers were able to cheat up close to the line because we weren’t even trying to go outside with it. But we got the win and that’s all that matters

Reactions: cherokeeeVOL

We were fortunate that Venables did not start the backup quarterback because that guy has wheels.

VN Store

Back