Hughes

looks like he has good size

The 6-5, 265-pound Hughes is a new name in recruiting circles that could fill one of UT’s strongest needs — defensive tackle — in the 2008 signing class.

I saw this guy play once this year against Blackman. He definitely has the size, but he is a project. I wouldn't expect him to make a big impact in his first couple years.

I saw this guy play once this year against Blackman. He definitely has the size, but he is a project. I wouldn't expect him to make a big impact in his first couple years.

I would say he probably won't play until his rSoph year or rJR year.

The best part about him, he WONT even qualify and will end up at prep of JuCo

Playing defensive end, Hughes registered more than 25 tackles for a loss during his senior season at Siegel. Hughes has the frame to grow into a defensive tackle, a move he said he wouldn’t resist.

“I want to play end but it doesn’t really matter,” Hughes said. “It’s just going to feel good putting on the orange.”

Hughes may have to wait awhile to don a UT jersey. He’s expected to enroll in prep school or junior college to improve his academic standing.

Hughes is UT’s 14th commitment of the 2008 class. National signing day is Feb. 6.

© 2007, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

-courtesy of govolsxtra.com

Great we are taking OVC guys now. I hope this guy flourishes at Prepschool or JUCO but we dont need project players right now.

I agree with Blaker. I like that they are taking a chance on a guy. Is it optimum? Who knows. But when they do this, they need to make sure they coach him up, which IMO, has been lacking lately

I agree with Blaker. I like that they are taking a chance on a guy. Is it optimum? Who knows. But when they do this, they need to make sure they coach him up, which IMO, has been lacking lately
If there is one position we have the ability to coach em up it is DL with Caldwell and Brooks IMO.

I was happy when we found out this guy was a surprise visit. I like this pick up, especially at a measurables level.

This is the lowest guy that i think has commited to UT in years.. he's not even a 1 star.. lol
but its not prolly cuz he's not any good.. its just cuz he hasnt went to any of the big combines most likely..
but hey, idk..
he might just not be that good.. idk..

Yes our D-Line is shaky but there is some potential there. Demonte Bolden and Dan Williams showed flashes of potential especially against Georgia. Walter Fisher should offer solid play if he can remain healthy. Ben Martin is a BEAST and wasnt healthy last year. Martin was the Gatorade Player of the Year in Ohio when we landed him. Robert Ayers might be able to provide decent production as well.

The rest of the guys Brimfield,Langely,Nelson,Brown and Mathis are questionable at best. We would still be in the same situation with 4* DT and DE recruits this year. Lets hope Berry and Morley can play up to their potential next year.

VN Store

Back