Hundreds of college math professors blast decreased math standards in K-12

100 math professors who teach grades 1-12 are travelling to a conference on a plane going 565 mph. They each sign 4 letters complaining about erosion of standards in math curricula. The plane can hold a maximum of 156 people. There is a scheduled layover for 95 minutes prior to reaching the destination. What's the percentage of people who will be compelled to clamor for a return to higher standards once the flight lands?

Answer?

Racist Global Warming and Trump Bad.

Common core never said that 2+2= anything but 4, it just wanted all kindergarteners everywhere to have that knowledge at the same time.

And yes, I lament the loss of multiplication tables. I loved speed drills. Good for the mind, and great prep for the ASVAB.

Common Core and the "math wheels" are positively the most idiotic thing to happen to math.

We did pretty awesome in teaching math as basic knowledge until teachers started cutting corners to push kids through. Hell, we landed on the moon using slide rules and chalkboards.

Hundreds of college professors blast 'woke' math movement

Hundreds of prominent professors — including top names from CUNY, NYU, and Columbia — have signed a letter blasting the erosion of math rigor in grades K to 12.

Arguing that curtailing advanced math programs puts American kids at a global disadvantage, the coalition called the movement “the height of irresponsibility.”
Have to cut out the fluff courses in order to make room for the essentials: critical race theory, fake gender recognition and the Improper use of pronouns, climate change, and general wokeness.

Reactions: AM64
Hundreds of college professors blast 'woke' math movement

Hundreds of prominent professors — including top names from CUNY, NYU, and Columbia — have signed a letter blasting the erosion of math rigor in grades K to 12.

Arguing that curtailing advanced math programs puts American kids at a global disadvantage, the coalition called the movement “the height of irresponsibility.”

Here’s a real thing that was placed in my mailbox when I was teaching. It was encouraging us to do things like “decolonize math”. Sadly I don’t have screenshots of the entire article.

This part about teaching the 3/5ths compromise in math classes because 3/5ths is math is not only crazy but also implies the author doesn’t understand the 3/5s compromise (they probably assume it was some evil act of racism without any understanding of the law, and I’m sure that’s how they want it taught).

Attachments

• 22AF7448-EFAB-49DD-BC59-11E3DAEEAABB.jpeg
    22AF7448-EFAB-49DD-BC59-11E3DAEEAABB.jpeg
    932.4 KB · Views: 22
Common Core and the "math wheels" are positively the most idiotic thing to happen to math.

We did pretty awesome in teaching math as basic knowledge until teachers started cutting corners to push kids through. Hell, we landed on the moon using slide rules and chalkboards.
You mean, we Faked landing on the moon using slide rules and chalkboards.

Here’s a real thing that was placed in my mailbox when I was teaching. It was encouraging us to do things like “decolonize math”. Sadly I don’t have screenshots of the entire article.

This part about teaching the 3/5ths compromise in math classes because 3/5ths is math is not only crazy but also implies the author doesn’t understand the 3/5s compromise (they probably assume it was some evil act of racism without any understanding of the law, and I’m sure that’s how they want it taught).

I imagine if anyone does want to read the full article for more context you can probably Google a complete sentences from the article and find it. But it was a magazine placed in every teachers mail box.

Common core never said that 2+2= anything but 4, it just wanted all kindergarteners everywhere to have that knowledge at the same time.

And yes, I lament the loss of multiplication tables. I loved speed drills. Good for the mind, and great prep for the ASVAB.

I agree with you. The issue here is not common core. This is a more recent post common core push

Reactions: AshG

I want to throw up. That was disgusting.

I want to throw up. That was disgusting.

Yeah, it was gross. When I first started posting here (I don’t know if you were around then) I was one of the more liberal posters here. I still consider myself a liberal in the traditional sense of the word (freedom). But years of seeing the insanity of the left pushed me away.

„Hundreds“ which of course will eventually be referred to as „more than 10“ once today’s woefully inadequately educated math students become teachers in their own turn in 10 to 15 years 😂😂😂

One of the things I don't like about all the moving I've had to do for work is the disparate academic standards. Last year in sixth grade, my son was in one of two pre algebra classes for his grade level. That was in the Cleveland suburbs.

This year in western Maryland, he's the only seventh grader in eighth grade Algebra 1 and the school is trying to figure out how to help him take geometry next year. He'll have two of his required high school maths done before he's in high school.

GTFO of here with that limey talk

One of the things I don't like about all the moving I've had to do for work is the disparate academic standards. Last year in sixth grade, my son was in one of two pre algebra classes for his grade level. That was in the Cleveland suburbs.

This year in western Maryland, he's the only seventh grader in eighth grade Algebra 1 and the school is trying to figure out how to help him take geometry next year. He'll have two of his required high school maths done before he's in high school.

Case Western?

I almost went there.

Case Western?

I almost went there.

We were a little further east, in Mayfield Heights. Wonderful little community with about 100 more traffic lights than I ever want to see again.

Case Western is beautiful.

100 math professors who teach grades 1-12 are travelling to a conference on a plane going 565 mph. They each sign 4 letters complaining about erosion of standards in math curricula. The plane can hold a maximum of 156 people. There is a scheduled layover for 95 minutes prior to reaching the destination. What's the percentage of people who will be compelled to clamor for a return to higher standards once the flight lands?
100 % @SpaceCoastVol is the pilot thus no need for layover. He also banks hard starboard prior to landing at destination solving all issues with education. Next up all of congress on his plane.

Reactions: VolStrom and AM64
That’s the frustrating thing. They don’t give them the foundations any more. They’re working on abstract ways of finding 2 + 2.

My point about math is that it is a tool in the toolbox, and I use a hammer as an analogy. I don't care who invented the hammer, the aesthetics of hammer design, etc; I want to use the hammer (the correct one) to pound in a nail, or drive a punch, or shape sheet metal. If we could ever get that across at the university level, we'd actually be getting somewhere. Let mathematicians have orgasms over math theory; I just want to use the right math tool to get the answer. Same goes for all the other useful stuff that falls in the liberal arts turf - like English. Mathematicians don't teach math the right way because few of them really know the applications. Work in nuclear calculations or deal with jω in rotational applications and that's when you finally figure out what all the calculus courses were about ... but they didn't teach you.

Now there are times in engineering that theory is important. For example Hertz Theory covers what happens when two bodies collide, so if you are trying to excite an object (a bell for example) the hammer mass, contact area, and how it compresses on contact and rebounds make a huge difference, but that comes out of engineering and physics courses and math is still just the tool. I wouldn't even be surprised if AshG has been introduced to Hertz Theory as it applies to musical instruments.

It's basically criminal, dereliction of duty, and insane not to teach the multiplication tables. Take phones, computers, and calculators out of the elementary classroom. Kids need to exercise their brains. Same goes for old fashioned spelling. English (at least our English) has too many homonyms to do differently. The playground is outside; the classroom is for the hard stuff.

California Tries to Close the Gap in Math, but Sets Off a Backlash

Apparently one solution to this in California is to simply lower the ceiling. Gap closed, problem solved.

The civil rights actions of the 60s were supposed to correct racial inequalities. That we are still seeing a race gap says the problem isn't institutional but it is community based. When you look at the disparity in Asian vs white scores, it becomes very obvious that some communities value education far differently than others.

The civil rights actions of the 60s were supposed to correct racial inequalities. That we are still seeing a race gap says the problem isn't institutional but it is community based. When you look at the disparity in Asian vs white scores, it becomes very obvious that some communities value education far differently than others.
While on the surface that’s true, there are underlying issues in some communities that push “education” way down the list.

VN Store

Back