Hypothetically speaking, if Coach Barnes retired at end of year.....

What would be your reaction if Coach Barnes retired at end of the season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Volador

Orange you glad to be a Vol??
With Saban leading the way in surprise retirements, IF Coach Barnes followed suit and were to throw in the towel at the end of the season, how would you react? (and, regardless of how we fare in the NCAA tournament)

Please Note: This is NOT a Fahr CRB thread. It's simply a hypothetically question that honestly, every team needs to address each year with coaches who are getting up there in age. Coach gonna be 70 in couple of months (and not saying that is old either, but it's certainly not young)

Looking forward to OTHER responses

If Barnes retires, you better hope Danny White strikes gold on his next replacement or else we’re going to take a huge step back.
After yesterday, I'm starting to turn a lustful eye to a certain polarizing coach who I shall not name. Won't lie....I'm fickle.

I'd be grateful he has the program in a great spot to hire a quality coach. I'd be happy for him if that was what he wanted to do. I'd be excited about the potential for a new coach to build on what Coach Barnes has done here. Because in spite of what many think, we're not the moribund program of Houston/O'Neil or Buzz. Our last three coaches (who got more than 1 year) have made the tournament and even advanced to the Sweet 16. We have a good NIL commitment and a dedicated fanbase that spends money on the program. We are a top 4 job in a top 2 future conference as the SEC and B10 will further separate themselves financially in the future. Whenever he retires, he left the job better than he found it. Even if we are disappointed with what happened under him the NCAA tournament. Though I seriously still have hope we actually have a solid chance at the FF even with yesterday's debacle.

I'd be grateful he has the program in a great spot to hire a quality coach. I'd be happy for him if that was what he wanted to do. I'd be excited about the potential for a new coach to build on what Coach Barnes has done here. Because in spite of what many think, we're not the moribund program of Houston/O'Neil or Buzz. Our last three coaches (who got more than 1 year) have made the tournament and even advanced to the Sweet 16. We have a good NIL commitment and a dedicated fanbase that spends money on the program. We are a top 4 job in a top 2 future conference as the SEC and B10 will further separate themselves financially in the future. Whenever he retires, he left the job better than he found it. Even if we are disappointed with what happened under him the NCAA tournament. Though I seriously still have hope we actually have a solid chance at the FF even with yesterday's debacle.
Good post, Barnes is the Mark Richt of basketball. We could do better but we also could do a lot worse. When he leaves do we hire a Kirby Smart or a Butch Jones?

Reactions: VolArmy74
With Saban leading the way in surprise retirements, IF Coach Barnes followed suit and were to throw in the towel at the end of the season, how would you react? (and, regardless of how we fare in the NCAA tournament)

Please Note: This is NOT a Fahr CRB thread. It's simply a hypothetically question that honestly, every team needs to address each year with coaches who are getting up there in age. Coach gonna be 70 in couple of months (and not saying that is old either, but it's certainly not young)

Looking forward to OTHER responses
I think I resemble that remark.

That's fair , nobody had a clue Saban was going to retire. The Deacon may wake up after tournament and say that's it I'm done. You just never know.
Especially with NIL and transfer portal. Most older coaches are not happy with the new path of college athletics. Roy Willams and Coach K were over it and said goodbye. Jay Wright recently said he would never coach again.

Barnes is a bit different in that he is not TN’ primary recruiter. His assistants do most of the leg work and then he gets involved once they’re on campus.

There was an interesting interview (article) with Coach Gainey and another asst regarding Knecht’s recruitment. I was surprised that Barnes isn’t as involved with recruiting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volfan1000
I know Im in the minority but I would not be sad. I would be excited, pending the right hire. Don’t get me wrong, the program has never been better, BUT IF the right coach was hired they could potentially have a lot of talent to compete now and a brand to sell to recruits.

PLEASE NOTE THE BUT AND IF ARE YUGE FOR A REASON

If Barnes retires, you better hope Danny White strikes gold on his next replacement or else we’re going to take a huge step back.
It is interesting how many people don’t understand this simply truth. It will a monumental task to come even close to hiring a coach as good as CRB. I know some will argue and stomp their feet but that’s CLEARLY the truth.

I think Barnes has done a great job but always folds in March. We need a younger coach that doesn’t care to try new things with players. Vescovi and James should have moved on. We would have been better by now if both those guys would have sat the second half of the season. As they are playing now, they are both liabilities. They both are playing scared and that’s because of Barnes and some of the decisions he makes. He has been good for Tennessee basketball but would not hurt my feelings if he moved on. We need a younger more confident coach in March. Next weekend will be the end of this season. Sorry folks.

Reactions: Volador
Coach Rick Barnes. Victim of his own success. Elevates his program to one of its highest levels in history. His own fans go off the rails melting like snowflakes over losing one game in an outdated tournament. Just over a week past literally winning the outright SEC championship!

Meanwhile his fans plot his exit, so that we can quickly regain our place as also rans in the SEC. Congratulations snowflakes. The plan is working!

I think Barnes has done a great job but always folds in March. We need a younger coach that doesn’t care to try new things with players. Vescovi and James should have moved on. We would have been better by now if both those guys would have sat the second half of the season. As they are playing now, they are both liabilities. They both are playing scared and that’s because of Barnes and some of the decisions he makes. He has been good for Tennessee basketball but would not hurt my feelings if he moved on. We need a younger more confident coach in March. Next weekend will be the end of this season. Sorry folks.
I applaud and support your psychic reading. I can refer you to a superior agent to further your metaphysical career.

VN Store

Back