I am excited about next year

volbound1700

With all of the seniors choosing to stay, that is getting me hyped. They are staying for a reason. Next year could be something special.

Also, I posted a thread in the recruiting board (which I do visit often) about being behind Florida in recruiting but we closed very well and got some great recruits coming in despite my frustration.

We are in a very good spot, for once, in Football VolNation.

I am excited.

I think this staff is doing a good job recruiting needs and not necessarily stars. They are putting pieces in place to construct a solid program much like Majors did in the late 80’s, which resulted in 3 SEC championships in 6 years. The key will be development of solid players and not suspect egos.

My concern will be the offensive line next year. Six sacks in the bowl game will wear on QB and I am not sure we have an experienced replacement when something happens. This is Tennessee. We either have to upgrade our talent level or development on that OL to have that great of a season.

Another thing I noticed is that Nico threw safe passes with nothing over the middle like slants or seam routes for which Iowa was susceptible. The coaches did an excellent job of getting him safe reads. That will not be the case in our competitive SEC. He did a great job with the reads he was given and delivered excellent passes.

But no Virginia, there are no Hawkeyes in the SEC.

I still feel like we are about 2 great recruiting classes (or portal additions) away from being able to truly compete with the big boys. Looking at Michigan and Alabama the other night, the difference in size and physicality between them and us was pretty sobering. Our starting 22 probably matches up fairly well but after that, it kind of falls off a cliff. Remember, it took Harbaugh 8 seasons to finally get Michigan to where they are now. Can we get there quicker? Maybe. The portal certainly would suggest it can be done. However, we can't afford to miss on guys that we bring in.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Yeah, I’m excited as well. There’s still some holes (LG, WR1), DB, but we have guys who have the potential to fill the holes nicely. Depth may be an issue, but hopefully we’ll stay healthy.

Yeah, I’m excited as well. There’s still some holes (LG, WR1), DB, but we have guys who have the potential to fill the holes nicely. Depth may be an issue, but hopefully we’ll stay healthy.
Let’s see what they do in the portal. Agree with you on where we need to add some guys. Wouldn’t hurt my feelings to see another TE added either and if they can somehow get the DE from Purdue that would be lovely.

I think this staff is doing a good job recruiting needs and not necessarily stars. They are putting pieces in place to construct a solid program much like Majors did in the late 80’s, which resulted in 3 SEC championships in 6 years. The key will be development of solid players and not suspect egos.

My concern will be the offensive line next year. Six sacks in the bowl game will wear on QB and I am not sure we have an experienced replacement when something happens. This is Tennessee. We either have to upgrade our talent level or development on that OL to have that great of a season.

Another thing I noticed is that Nico threw safe passes with nothing over the middle like slants or seam routes for which Iowa was susceptible. The coaches did an excellent job of getting him safe reads. That will not be the case in our competitive SEC. He did a great job with the reads he was given and delivered excellent passes.

But no Virginia, there are no Hawkeyes in the SEC.
He most definitely did throw slants and a couple bombs. The issue was Keyton effed them all up. Unlike with Milton we didn't run a screen heavy offense for once this season.

Why would anyone be sorry to be excited for the 2024 football season?

Reactions: volfeeva
Why would anyone be sorry to be excited for the 2024 football season?

People keep saying we will go 8-4 again or 9-3. I am starting to lean towards being better. Sure, I should keep my expectations in check but the thing that is getting me is all of the players returning.

Nico looked great as well, made great decisions. Our WR core struggled against Iowa but it should be improved.

People are talking about O-Line and it is a good point but we will have Gerald Mincey, Cooper Mays, and John Campbell all announcing they are coming back plus some younger players getting more rotations that can make an impact.

These players, notably Cooper, would not be returning if something special wasn't brewing. This is a great summary of what we have coming back: Look: Tennessee players that have announced their return for the 2024 season

Reactions: 99grad
I know Spraggins & Campbell were out but that level of OL play wasn’t good enough to beat many in the SEC. Gotta improve there one way or another

Reactions: Rocky Top T
why do people always have some pre-emptive apology put in their topic? are you saying all of volnation is not looking forward to next year and you are taking some defiant stand?

why do people always have some pre-emptive apology put in their topic? are you saying all of volnation is not looking forward to next year and you are taking some defiant stand?

Fine, I changed the title but yes it is a statement when a chunk of the fanbase are saying we are 8-4 or 9-3 at best. Granted, on paper that seems to be the case but there are hints that we could be better.

Reactions: bpalmer28
Nothing wrong with being pumped about the next season! I know I am and by mid-August I will probably have convinced myself the team will go 10-2.

There are plenty of reasons to be excited. I will start with the most obvious one. The offense should take a step forward in 24. With teh OL all but solidified, Nico ready to take the reigns, Sampson could be the real deal, and a WR group that should make Heups O hum, there is no reason to suspect that the O won't return to its 2022 form.

Now to the D.....I am cautiously optimistic. The secondary continues to be a huge question mark, as does the scheme, specifically on 3rd down.

- From Hubbs (regular season only/pre-bowl game)

In four losses, opponents are converting 56% of third downs. On 3rd and 7+ in SEC play overall, opponents are converting nearly 40% of the time and that includes the South Carolina game where the Vols didn’t give up one in 7 tries.

7-14 — Florida
5-13 — Alabama
11-17 — Missouri
9-13 — Georgia

32-57 56%

Banks fan or not, you cant hide from that stat line. The Vols were atrocious on D on 3rd down when it mattered most. Some of that is on the talent level, some of that is on the scheme. This has to be fixed ASAP if the Vols are going to be in the conversation.

Fine, I changed the title but yes it is a statement when a chunk of the fanbase are saying we are 8-4 or 9-3 at best. Granted, on paper that seems to be the case but there are hints that we could be better.

i'm kinda giving you crap bud. i'm looking forward to next year, even if i thought we'd go 9-3 or 8-4. i think Nico is going to play well. he'll make some mistakes but i think his upside is to the moon. the offense shouldn't be limited as it was this year

With all of the seniors choosing to stay, that is getting me hyped. They are staying for a reason. Next year could be something special.

Also, I posted a thread in the recruiting board (which I do visit often) about being behind Florida in recruiting but we closed very well and got some great recruits coming in despite my frustration.

We are in a very good spot, for once, in Football VolNation.

I am excited.
Experience will help and be a plus, but the talent level is still a concern....at several positions.

Reactions: VOLfrombama
There are plenty of reasons to be excited. I will start with the most obvious one. The offense should take a step forward in 24. With teh OL all but solidified, Nico ready to take the reigns, Sampson could be the real deal, and a WR group that should make Heups O hum, there is no reason to suspect that the O won't return to its 2022 form.

Now to the D.....I am cautiously optimistic. The secondary continues to be a huge question mark, as does the scheme, specifically on 3rd down.

- From Hubbs (regular season only/pre-bowl game)

In four losses, opponents are converting 56% of third downs. On 3rd and 7+ in SEC play overall, opponents are converting nearly 40% of the time and that includes the South Carolina game where the Vols didn’t give up one in 7 tries.

7-14 — Florida
5-13 — Alabama
11-17 — Missouri
9-13 — Georgia

32-57 56%

Banks fan or not, you cant hide from that stat line. The Vols were atrocious on D on 3rd down when it mattered most. Some of that is on the talent level, some of that is on the scheme. This has to be fixed ASAP if the Vols are going to be in the conversation.

Yeah, Defense NEEDS to find a way to get off the field. Teams are playing the TOP game against Tennessee to hold onto the ball for long stretches. This didn't help the offensive rhythm at times this past season. I think the coaching staff is aware of this and I am wondering if all the DBs hitting the portal was a house cleaning, especially after what I saw against Iowa. We are also focused heavily on defensive recruiting and the transfer portal. However, not all of it is the players or talent issues, I am not a fan of some of the defensive schemes/play calling. We will see how that transpires. A talented offense can sometimes fire up the defense as well.

Reactions: VOLfrombama
People keep saying we will go 8-4 again or 9-3. I am starting to lean towards being better. Sure, I should keep my expectations in check but the thing that is getting me is all of the players returning.

Nico looked great as well, made great decisions. Our WR core struggled against Iowa but it should be improved.

People are talking about O-Line and it is a good point but we will have Gerald Mincey, Cooper Mays, and John Campbell all announcing they are coming back plus some younger players getting more rotations that can make an impact.

These players, notably Cooper, would not be returning if something special wasn't brewing. This is a great summary of what we have coming back: Look: Tennessee players that have announced their return for the 2024 season
What others think should not affect your excitement...at least that's how I see it. I predicted 7-5 in the prediction thread in the pub. Now that I've seen some of our younger players in action, in addition to who we have returning, I think 9 to 10 wins is reasonable. Although 8 or 11 wouldn't surprise me.

Yeah, Defense NEEDS to find a way to get off the field. Teams are playing the TOP game against Tennessee to hold onto the ball for long stretches. This didn't help the offensive rhythm at times this past season. I think the coaching staff is aware of this and I am wondering if all the DBs hitting the portal was a house cleaning, especially after what I saw against Iowa. We are also focused heavily on defensive recruiting and the transfer portal. However, not all of it is the players or talent issues, I am not a fan of some of the defensive schemes/play calling. We will see how that transpires. A talented offense can sometimes fire up the defense as well.
It def makes it easier when you can score a few TDs each game

What others think should not affect your excitement...at least that's how I see it. I predicted 7-5 in the prediction thread in the pub. Now that I've seen some of our younger players in action, in addition to who we have returning, I think 9 to 10 wins is reasonable. Although 8 or 11 wouldn't surprise me.

The schedule, on paper, reads 9-3. There are 9 teams we should definitely beat (the 4 Non-Conference, UK, Vandy, Arkansas, Florida, Miss State). None of them are world beaters. NC State might be the toughest in that lot.

After that, you got Alabama at home, Oklahoma in Norman, and Georgia in Athens.

I will address Georgia first, I don't see us winning that one unless Georgia gives it to us. So, even in my most pie in the sky predictions, I think we lose in Athens. Georgia has to HELP US for Tennessee to win that one.

Oklahoma is second to me. To date, we have shown we struggle in big road games. Norman will be an early, big road game and it will be hyped for them as the first SEC game. I think we may be hard pressed here but I am not sure what team Oklahoma is going to field as they have a lot of questions.

Alabama is in Knoxville. I think this is one we could pull of again. It seems to me like a toss up but Alabama has looked vulnerable the last couple of years. Saban is still Saban and I think that is why they keep winning but the Alabama just doesn't look as talented as they have in the past. I think a lot of their recent 4 and 5 stars have been busts. We will see.

If I pick 10-2, we win that Alabama game. We have the advantage this year of two of the 4 road games being against teams that are not that great (Arkansas and Vandy). I mean if 9-4 Arkansas comes back, they could threaten Tennessee but I am leaning towards that not being as challenging of a road game. Oklahoma is a curious one but I think it is an L right now being the first true road game and Oklahoma has top ten talent.

We still have a monkey on our back with Florida for some reason but being that we finally get Florida in October and the game is in Knoxville, that is the time when Florida is trending down and I think we beat them this year and it isn't even close. Put them in September and in Gainesville and I would be worried.

Key issue will be staying healthy. That was a problem this year but I think we are building greater depth.

Reactions: bpalmer28

VN Store

Back