I think we are a good team...

We are a top 8 team but I'm not sure if we are an elite one.

We still have not played a complete team yet. OU is the most talented team we have played but their offense never really put any pressure on our D so the secondary is still relatively untested. When we play Bama and UGA we will find out if we are elite or very good.

Nico is an unbelievable talent but will turn the ball over. This will improve as he gains experience and gets coached up but there is risk there. D bailed us out on Saturday but a competent offense would have scored from the 5.

O-Line needs to get healthy. Big drop off from starting tackles to backups. Still more depth than we have had in recent memory but we have to protect a young QBs blind side until his pocket "feel" improves.

Crompton's comments around CJH not trusting Nico yet are interesting. I am not sure if that is true as we went ultra conservative given OU couldn't find the first down marker most of the night. I am also of the mind JC is right as if CJH wasn't worried about mistakes we keep the gas pedal down well into the 3rd. This isn't a dig at all but what you expect out of a young QB, regardless of talent.

Bottom line I CANNOT WAIT for football time in Tennessee again and I absolutely love it. This is a fun and exciting team that I can watch with my boys and that makes me beyond grateful. LFG!
I think when Mike Matthews is healthy enough to play more snaps, we become a much better team on offense. Squirrel is not playing up to his potential and is not making catches I think he can/should. Matthews has shown he can make those catches both over the middle as well as the deep go patterns. He is much stronger than Squirrel and is just as fast if not faster. He can add a needed dimension to our offense

Reactions: GoVols64
...however, the consensus I am gathering here is that we are not sure if we are a great team yet. We have the pieces: strong culture, athletes in positions of need across the field, and a smart coach.

Areas of concern are the OL, the QB position, and the defensive secondary. Nothing is new across these positions, but here are my observations:

OL: we are only as good as our tackle play. OU has one of the best defensive fronts we will see this year, but Bama, and UGA are also good here. We need to get the Heard situation figured out and rest up this weekend. This is tricky because it is a developmental position and you cannot expect a freshman to come in and compete with fully grown men on the other side of the ball. They have to bulk and get stronger. I fear we will live and die by our tackles this year.

QB: Let me get one thing straight: Nico is a star in the making. He is not a star yet though, regardless of the media hype and SEC freshman of the week accolades. He has a lot to learn, and just got a good lesson against a really good OU team that loves to scheme to confuse young QBs. However, he cannot keep getting strip sacked. That is also on the OL, but if OU had a competent offense, those two fumbles would have been TDs or FGs. Offensive staff will to uncork that arm against Bama as they are stacked on the front end but weaker in pass protection. UGA will also scheme to confuse him and he will need to be better as they can score on those turnovers we saw at OU.

Defensive Secondary: I still do not think they have been tested, mainly because our DL has just dominated to the point where opposing offenses cannot get their downfield attack going. I like what we have seen from this group, but can we say for certain they have seen a dynamic air attack yet? No. McCall was a bust and so was Arnold. The Arkansas QB isn't great at throwing either, so think this group will not be challenged until we see Mertz at Florida. Mertz isn't a world breaker, but he can throw little dinks and dunks into soft coverage spots that chew into our secondary. Florida isn't great but we will need to fire on all cylinders on the defense. We need to prove in the first quarter we are not going to let them dictate the pace of the game by chewing clock and hitting us with little dinks all over the place.

Is this cut/pasted from the Captain Obvious thread from April?

We are not a great team yet.. Nico is a freshman and is learning...secondary is stronger than most thought but still learning... line has to get healthy..the running qb may be this defense weakness and well what do we have coming up... running qbs for a while
Arion Carter shut down Arnold from running around the first half. We played prevent the last 8 mins or so and was subbing in back ups at that point.

VN Store

Back