I was Fulmer, I was Gruden, I am now Butch

Eddie Vol Halen

Senior Life Champion
I might be suffering from PTDD (post-traumatic Dooley disorder) writing this before an SEC game has been played this year, but we saw some things in the game yesterday that we just haven't seen on the Hill in a long time.

The Vols responded to adversity. There were a lot of missed opportunities in the first half. The offense couldn't find any rhythm (partly because of the weird flow of the first half). There were even some bonehead coaching decisions. We had six turnovers on our side of the field, but we only led by two scores at the half.

All of that got fixed at halftime. It was proof this was a different set of Vols because I have no doubt the Bamboo Farmers would have lost that game yesterday even with six turnovers.

I like Worley because if you don't have Cam Newton or Vince Young at QB, you need a game manager. Sure, I wish Tajh Boyd would have been the starter yesterday. Yet, when the game was truly in the balance at the start of the second half, Worley marched the team down the field for the scores which iced the game. Even Bray never did that (though he was greatly handicapped by Dools et al).

I think the last five years are totally different if we never fire Fulmer. I don't know yet if Jones will truly get us back "in the hunt, in the mix." We'll get an indication real soon. Gruden was a real possibility, but Hart didn't want him, which is still troubling. But it is becoming ever more difficult to understand why Butch was #4 on Hart's list, if he was even that high. If not Gruden, Butch for sure.

Right now, if you can't tell the difference between Team 117 and the three previous, you just aren't paying attention. Butch is getting it done. He's got to get it done on a HoF level to succeed in this league, and we won't know that for a couple of years.

I was Fulmer; I was Gruden; I am now Butch.

Reactions: 4 people
I might be suffering from PTDD (post-traumatic Dooley disorder) writing this before an SEC game has been played this year, but we saw some things in the game yesterday that we just haven't seen on the Hill in a long time.

The Vols responded to adversity. There were a lot of missed opportunities in the first half. The offense couldn't find any rhythm (partly because of the weird flow of the first half). There were even some bonehead coaching decisions. We had six turnovers on our side of the field, but we only led by two scores at the half.

All of that got fixed at halftime. It was proof this was a different set of Vols because I have no doubt the Bamboo Farmers would have lost that game yesterday even with six turnovers.

I like Worley because if you don't have Cam Newton or Vince Young at QB, you need a game manager. Sure, I wish Tajh Boyd would have been the starter yesterday. Yet, when the game was truly in the balance at the start of the second half, Worley marched the team down the field for the scores which iced the game. Even Bray never did that (though he was greatly handicapped by Dools et al).

I think the last five years are totally different if we never fire Fulmer. I don't know yet if Jones will truly get us back "in the hunt, in the mix." We'll get an indication real soon. Gruden was a real possibility, but Hart didn't want him, which is still troubling. But it is becoming ever more difficult to understand why Butch was #4 on Hart's list, if he was even that high. If not Gruden, Butch for sure.

Right now, if you can't tell the difference between Team 117 and the three previous, you just aren't paying attention. Butch is getting it done. He's got to get it done on a HoF level to succeed in this league, and we won't know that for a couple of years.

:eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol:

Reactions: 2 people
So You weren't Lane Kiffin or Derek Dumbass? Butch rocks, The Vols have an energy and enthusiasm that They haven't had in years.

Lets play along with the idea of not firing Fulmer after 2008.

Fulmer would have definitely fired Clawson after 2008, so we would have had a 3rd OC in 3 years (which was the case in 2009 anyways with a new coach). How much better would Fulmer's 2009 team had been? Would he have gotten fired at the end of that season? Odds are that Kiffin actually got more out of that team in 2009 than he should have. I know close only counts in horse shoes & hand grenades, but we were no where near as talented as UF or Bama in 2009 and were able to frustrate Meyer to the point that he left the conference and came within a blocked kick by Mt. Cody's belly of beating Bama. Fulmer would have finished the 2009 season with 4 wins, imo.

we had no shot at gruden. any hard proof to suggest otherwise?

A handful of people actually know how close (or wasn't close) Gruden was. The circle around those handful of people whispered Hart did not want to be SFOC (Second Fiddle on Campus). TIFWIW. The Titans had the contract written and waiting on Peyton's signature, and yet today there are people who will still tell you there was Zero Chance of getting Peyton to Nashville.

The point was I am a Vol fan which took some time to warm to Butch. I like what Butch is selling right now.

I know what saying something like this will bring me....but I personally heard Gruden talking on Mike & Mike the other morning about Chip Kelly. He said that the reason he went out to Oregon to spend time and study that offense was because he was mad at pro football and mad about being fired. He said with his own mouth that he was going to go coach college ball and wanted to learn that offense.

I know what saying something like this will bring me....but I personally heard Gruden talking on Mike & Mike the other morning about Chip Kelly. He said that the reason he went out to Oregon to spend time and study that offense was because he was mad at pro football and mad about being fired. He said with his own mouth that he was going to go coach college ball and wanted to learn that offense.

Kelly even offered to let him be the OC at one point.

Lets play along with the idea of not firing Fulmer after 2008.

Fulmer would have definitely fired Clawson after 2008, so we would have had a 3rd OC in 3 years (which was the case in 2009 anyways with a new coach). How much better would Fulmer's 2009 team had been? Would he have gotten fired at the end of that season? Odds are that Kiffin actually got more out of that team in 2009 than he should have. I know close only counts in horse shoes & hand grenades, but we were no where near as talented as UF or Bama in 2009 and were able to frustrate Meyer to the point that he left the conference and came within a blocked kick by Mt. Cody's belly of beating Bama. Fulmer would have finished the 2009 season with 4 wins, imo.

So Meyer left the SEC because he was frustrated with a team that he never lost to? Interesting.

Not the team as much as Kiffin's antics towards Florida and whatever else was going on in Meyer's life at the time.

Could be true. No one will really know except Meyer himself. If you ask me I think he knew his run was up and that he would have trouble beating Saban every year in the Sec championship.

several otherwise reliable people said that there was some fire behind the gruden smoke. whether JG truly was interested or was just appeasing his wife and/or playing his ego is unknown.

it is pretty clear that the UT admin did not want JG, and Haslam did not want him. whether Hart wanted him or not is moot as those are the ones who tell Hart how high to jump and when.

i'm kind of surprised that more has not come to light as far as how it all played out.

VN Store

Back