I was impressed with everything but the one thing that stood out?

Heupel using timeouts impressed me. I spoke about this I think a couple years ago and wondered if coaches grow often. This was something I noticed today that stood out as new to me. I think I saw some more of that last year, but he managed this and other aspects of the game at a level I haven’t noticed before. I am sure much of that is because the system is rolling, and he has less to focus on, he is seasoned as a head coach at this point, Etc etc. But the biggest etc is when he says I could have done some things better, he meant it.
Very humble man, humble men continue to learn and grow!

Reactions: hUTch2002
The defense overall. NC State has some nice offensive pieces and I thought they’d at least get a couple TDs on us, even if one was in garbage time. Even when the game was well in hand our D didn’t back off one bit. We played younger guys and stayed aggressive. I love that and it will serve us well later this year and beyond. That D we saw is national championship-caliber defense. Great start to this year and I do believe this will end in a playoff berth. Go Vols!

Very humble man, humble men continue to learn and grow!
We haven’t seen a lot of short yardage situations but I do hope we go back to under center. Years 1 and 3 we generally ran short yardage out of shotgun. Year 2 we went under center and improved drastically. So far it looks like we’re opting for shotgun but it’s early. We shall see!

Nobody has scored anything on this defense but field goals on us this year. Only td given up was the pick 6 that was tipped/ nicos arm was hit.
Easy, cub, easy. We haven't played anybody yet. Better wait until Oklahoma before puffing out chests out too far.

Kent State, don't snicker too much. Seems we're seeing little bitty spider schools whipping big boy schools this season. Not sure why, overconfidence maybe. Coaches not taking the dwarf schools seriously enough to proper game plan them, maybe. Teams figuring they can sleepwalk to victory, maybe. Whatever, just hope our Vols don't fall into those traps, cause Sarah Silverman is still right, "It can happen." Just ask Norte Dame, close call Oregon, FSU, and the like. Meanwhile, vols, go full berserker mode, take no prisoners, plunder, and pillage with impunity!!!!!!

Last edited:
They are rated as the worst team in FBS. They've lost to two FCS teams so far. One of those teams (western Georgia) was playing their first game as a FCS team. They were D2 last year.
Then we need to play only 2 and 3 string players and let our number ones get rested and not take a chance on a cheap injury. This Oklahoma game is huge. Win it and we should go into the Alabama game 6-0 and ranked in top 8.

Heupel using timeouts impressed me. I spoke about this I think a couple years ago and wondered if coaches grow often. This was something I noticed today that stood out as new to me. I think I saw some more of that last year, but he managed this and other aspects of the game at a level I haven’t noticed before. I am sure much of that is because the system is rolling, and he has less to focus on, he is seasoned as a head coach at this point, Etc etc. But the biggest etc is when he says I could have done some things better, he meant it. I think goes to the well a bit too much running Samson up the middle over and over, Yes, he made some gains, very talented player, but I'm afraid better teams will stack the box and I'd love to see Samson run some sweeps out to the side to keep the defense honest and thinking.

Didn’t realize they were that bad. Wish we’d keep those pay games reserved for our UT system brothers. Beat Chattanooga bad, but at least we helped find their athletic season. Don’t really care about Kent State personally.
Gives our 2nd/3rd stringers more playing time = experience. Always good to get those guys more experience. Creating more depth is always good.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back