If UT was a stock, how would we be listed?

volgrad500

The Oracle of Orange
Yes I'm bored, but some prick on ESPN was talking about teams as stocks.
If Bama is the gold stander (or blue chip, whatever) how would you view our stock? Buy and hold, value, penny stock? Would mad money sell, sell, sell??

I think it would be pretty obvious that right now you buy. Based on recruiting class for next year and this year's head coach's record vs. last year's head coach's record.

Reactions: 2 people
I think it would be a buy also. Plus our price would be reduced. How about Vandy or UK?

Emerging market!

Jk I'd say like an up and coming tech stock who's movenent will/could be pretty volatile but you're pretty sure it will go up (and most likely quickly). So you buy and give it some time to shoot up in value while you make that green!

And wed teade on NYSE

Reactions: 1 person
As a retired investment guy, I'd put Oregon in the "Growth" category. Continue to build, investing for future return.

It would be a penny stock with little downside at this point.

Most of your top 10 teams would be sell because they can't get much higher. (Alabama the exception) even bama though is questionable due to their popularity among fair weather fans.

11-25 would all be holds right now. This is assuming you bought them while they were lower. It would especially be a hold if you have a top recruiting class now or one coming in. USC may be a buy in this group.

Anyone below 25 would most likely be a buy based on their recruiting class. Tennessee had a lower class last year but still a top 25. Ole Miss would be an excellent buy. As much as I hate to say it Vanderbilt could be a good buy but with all their hype that would be overpriced

Most of your top 10 teams would be sell because they can't get much higher. (Alabama the exception) even bama though is questionable due to their popularity among fair weather fans.

11-25 would all be holds right now. This is assuming you bought them while they were lower. It would especially be a hold if you have a top recruiting class now or one coming in. USC may be a buy in this group.

Anyone below 25 would most likely be a buy based on their recruiting class. Tennessee had a lower class last year but still a top 25. Ole Miss would be an excellent buy. As much as I hate to say it Vanderbilt could be a good buy but with all their hype that would be overpriced

Honestly, this is why I brought this up. How you explained it is an interesting way to look at it actually. A bad team could be a buy based on perceptions and where they were last year. Honestly Vandy (like you said) could be pretty good, and even Kentucky just because you could probably buy them at whatever change you found in your coach cushions.

#1 recruiting classes currently for the next two years but recent losing seasons translates into a value, buy.

Oregon would be a hold with the absence of Chip Kelly.

For GoDucks349: Just curious about why you post on this board. I see 99Gator, a Bama fan and you posting on here quite a bit and was just wondering. Also apologize for the rudeness you sometimes encounter. Some people just can't be civil.

Rule is buy low and sell high. We're pretty low so I say buy, buy, buy and Butch Slap those suckers

Last edited:
Given the present excitement and recruiting coups, I actually think we'd be a very dangerous stock to purchase given the way today's investors work. Our price would be higher than past performance and likely generate a small frenzy that would send our stock soaring and be bound to disappoint investors in the first year and would likely lead to a HUGE devaluation far lower than the price should be so much so it would produce a major threat to the UT 'company.'

However, if the market were rational it would be a buy now stock with unlimited return potential, certainly a stratospheric return if bought at a low price.

But IPOs (initial public offerings) especially and stocks in general are never bought on rationality. They're bought on excitement, momentum, and good PR and we have plenty of that.

Long gone are the days when buying and holding were key factors for the majority of investors. Even BAMA would be in trouble with investors right now as simply winning is not expanding and expansion and more returns are what investors demand -- not steady high returns but always more than last year.

This isn't about Oregon! :)

Yea, I know, I've just gotten a bit comfortable on here with the very good Tenn fans. And because of my back ground, the concept seemed fun.

I'd put Tenn in the Value Contrarian category. Undervalued and a good investment at this price, solid fundamentals with lots of up side.

VN Store

Back