If we start 6-0, will the Heup be real?

1. The hype (heup) is already real.
2. It will continue to grow.
3. It will not stop growing until we win our next natty (thanks, @allvol17 !)
4. Then, unfortunately, folks will start turning on Heup every time we have a somewhat off year. Eventually, they will run him out of town. Then we'll enter a new Dark Ages that will last 15 years.
5. Because humans don't learn from the past nearly as often as they should.

But here's hoping we break that cycle and keep Dan White, Tony Vitello, Josh Heupel, and all our other great coaches for as long as they don't want to retire.

Go Vols!
Here’s hoping by the time Josh Heupel leaves UT, Nico has a superbowl ring or two, and Hendon Hooker is a rising star head coach at a G5 school or Alex Golesh’s offensive coordinator at Ohio State.

I don't think we are going to repeat this at all but the 2016 team folded and in some ways 2022 kind of folded down the stretch. (I personally think 2022 just overachieved so it is hard to be down on them. 2016 Tennessee flopped at the end and a lot of it, IMO, had to do with players not staying healthy).
2022 didn't really fold down the stretch

What gaps do you see? Who would you replace him with? What more do you want in a coach?

I still think 2022 overachieved. We didn't have the depth we have now. Even Heupel and the staff have made comments about it if you pay attention. Hendon Hooker, Jalin Hyatt, and everyone on that team (minus the secondary) were studs. Even the secondary, played hard, IMO, they just weren't that good. There were also some head cases like Byron Young.

2022 Tennessee sold confidence in our program and has helped us land stronger recruits (technically we had Nico prior to that year but other recruits probably bought in after that run).
Barron and Banks were the headcases, BY is earning that bread for the Rams on sundays.

Yeah, even with the bye week, @ OU and @ Ark is gonna be quite the test. Pass that and the sky’s the limit. 1-1 and we’re looking at 8-4, 9-3. Still not horrible, but not memorable either.
I’m more confident about OU than I was a week ago. . I’m more confident about Bama than I was a week ago too. With the byes being after OU and Bama our schedule is almost like 3 mini seasons in one. I think we can get through our first mini season undefeated, as well as the second . The third w/ UGA is going to be very difficult. We’re only at week 3, but the way it’s looking, I think 11-1 is very much on the table. All sorts of things can derail that, but if we end up at 9-3 or especially 8-4 then there has been some major, major unforeseen issues that occurred.

I don’t get too high or low in most cases, but I think we’re a very good football who is very capable of making a long run.

I think we need a post season well. I do listen to the troll that is Uncle Lou a lot and basically we would have to get off his "were back list". (I think we are already off. He puts a criteria about winning the conference but winning the SEC is not easy for anyone. There are teams like 2022 Tennessee that would win the ACC or other leagues).

From my perspective, Heupel has us back. I personally think he overachieved in 2022 and he is starting to pick it up in the recruiting trial. It is crazy to realize where we are at now versus what he walked into.
I actually remember starting a walk on right tackle with a blown ACL. Those were the days!

If that happens, I will want to have a shirt custom made.
it will have CJH face on it with the words…THE HEUP IS REAL!
Heupel is already real. You can the highest assurance of that from the one person who knows this inarguably, his mother.

If that happens, I will want to have a shirt custom made.
it will have CJH face on it with the words…THE HEUP IS REAL!
I'd do whatever I wanted to do. Unless the opinions about football from a bunch of anonymous people on a message board is really important to you. If it works out, great story. If it doesn't? Worse things in life.

And it's been so hard for us to start 6-0 mainly because of those belly draggin rat bastids North of me.

Some of you seem to confuse the possible ability to dimensionally shift with a lack of reality. Yes, Heup is real. He may be real across dimensions. This in no way detracts from his reality in our here and now. Be assured, Heup is real.

Now, go about your day confidently. 😉

He is real. I can't remember the fanbase being this excited in the last 15 years or so. 2016 may be the exception, but that's because talent overcame Butch's ineptitude to coach (for the most part).
Actually, talent couldn't overcome his ineptitude. That should have been a top 3 team.

That has been their trend, switching up the teams we all play is going to ruin that and kill Wildcat football IMO, they won’t have those early season highs anymore.
IKR it ruined a lot of teams cakewalk schedules and I love it.. bwahhaha.. Georgia and Bama actually playing each other… early in the season? Genius, pure genius, love it

Reactions: chuckiepoo
He is real. I can't remember the fanbase being this excited in the last 15 years or so. 2016 may be the exception, but that's because talent overcame Butch's ineptitude to coach (for the most part).
THIS. The energy around this program is electric right now. I can't remember the last time we've had a four year stretch without a "potential head coach replacement" thread being started in the offseason

Reactions: rocketskates
To get to 6-0, you have to be 3-0. One week at a time. We need to appreciate what this team does week by week.

Injuries can happen any week. Chuck Webb went down in the second week against Pacific. Lettuce play one game at a time and keep these kids healthy. An injury in our OL, or our QB changes our projections for this year. We are deep enough everywhere else to survive.

VN Store

Back