If you have Maserati then damn well use it

London Vol

Gosh, its been a long week since the Arkansas game trying to analyse what happened or more accurately what didn’t happen. Whilst I was saying for some while the Razorbacks were a dangerous opponent and but for the fact that had managed to self-destruct a couple of times otherwise they would have been 5-0, this was no gimme. But it was the nature of the loss or more bluntly the lack of Offense that shocked so many of us.

Now to correct this, a number of esteemed writers has suggested that the Vols should revert to playing two Tight Ends and run a conservative game plan. Now I understand the extra protection this would give Nico Iamaleava, but after considering it carefully I believe the opposite should happen.

Josh Heupel’s Offenses are perennially in the top 20 in the country because of its explosiveness, because of its warped speed, because of its ability to get up by two touchdowns in a blink of an eye thus forcing its opponents to become one dimensional by playing from behind. It wasn’t because it was successful for so many years by stacking the box, grinding out the game by clock management and winning 12-6.

I have been told for two years we have a generational Quarterback with elite skills, and I still believe this to be true. In short, we have “bought” a Maserati not a Mitsubishi Mirage. Now a Maserati is built to drive fast, it is built to take your breath away, you need to trust the car by entering corners at speed trusting that it will deliver, you need to let the damn thing do what it actually can, things that many other cars can`t, otherwise why buy a Maserati.

So let it rip tomorrow Iamaleava, take some deep shots even if they are contested, despite being banged up there is still plenty of talent in the Wide Receiver unit (maybe its Mike Matthews turn to introduce himself the country), make Florida adjust by dropping more back into coverage, let them worry and as we know then the running game will open up and the QB pressures will even dissipate. Quite frankly take the Gators behind the woodshed. Repay some of those recent memories of Florida (4th and 26, 62 yard bomb on the last play, Palardy wide right, Kyle Trask comes off the bench, one year they didn’t have a QB and we still lost 10-9) but most importantly start erasing the bitter taste of last Saturday.as there is still so much to aim for this season if only we trust the car we have.

Finally, my heart goes out to all Floridians after Helene and Milton we have now idea in England what a Hurricane is like. Sometimes we need to be reminded football is only a game.

GO BIG VOLS

Last edited:
Gosh, its been a long week since the Arkansas game trying to analyse what happened or more accurately what didn’t happen. Whilst I was saying for some while the Razorbacks were a dangerous opponent and but for the fact that had managed to self-destruct a couple of times otherwise they would have been 5-0, this was no gimme. But it was the nature of the loss or more bluntly the lack of Offense that shocked so many of us.

Now to correct this, a number of esteemed writers has suggested that the Vols should revert to playing two Tight Ends and run a conservative game plan. Now I understand the extra protection this would give Nico Iamaleava, but after considering it carefully I believe the opposite should happen.

Josh Heupel’s Offenses are perennially in the top 20 in the country because of its explosiveness, because of its warped speed, because of its ability to get up by two touchdowns in a blink of an eye thus forcing its opponents to become one dimensional by playing from behind. It wasn’t because it was successful for so many years by stacking the box, grinding out the game by clock management and winning 12-6.

I have been told for two years we have a generational Quarterback with elite skills, and I still believe this to be true. In short, we have “bought” a Maserati not a Mitsubishi Mirage. Now a Maserati is built to drive fast, it is built to take your breath away, you need to trust the car by entering corners at speed trusting that it will deliver, you need to let the damn thing do what it actually can, things that many other cars can`t, otherwise why buy a Maserati.

So let it rip tomorrow Iamaleava, take some deep shots even if they are contested, despite being banged up there is still plenty of talent in the Wide Receiver unit (maybe its Mike Matthews turn to introduce himself the country), make Florida adjust by dropping more back into coverage, let them worry and as we know then the running game will open up and the QB pressures will even dissipate. Quite frankly take the Gators behind the woodshed. Repay some of those recent memories of Florida (4th and 26, 62 yard bomb on the last play, Palardy wide right, Kyle Trask comes off the bench, one year they didn’t have a QB and we still lost 10-9) but most importantly start erasing the bitter taste of last Saturday.as there is still so much to aim for this season if only we trust the car we have.

Finally, my heart goes out to all Floridians after Helene and Milton we have now idea in England what a Hurricane is like. Sometimes we need to be reminded football is only a game.

GO BIG VOLS
Well written brother. Has been a long week indeed. Let the boys loose Heupel. Will be watching from the other side of the ditch as well.

GO BIG VOLS

This game will be very helpful for both teams as for a few hours, they can give their fan bases some semblance of happiness and joy as real life is put on the pause button while a pigskin works its magic as people cheer for outstanding plays under a moonlit sky in a cathedral by the river.

2007-Maserati-MC12-Versione-Corsa1437297_.png

GO BIG VOLS
Thanks for another inciteful analysis & your words of encouragement for hurricane victims. We lived in Miami years ago & learned that Floridians depended upon rains brought by these storms, yet they respected & prepared for the severe elements. As for the Vol football team, I'm certainly not an expert; however, I've listened to commentators discuss Tennessee's "fast pace, wide splits" & other strategies....wondering if defensive coordinators have come up with remedies to stop the Vol offense. It's always going to be a game of cat-&-mouse, right? I expect Tennessee will be ready to take care of business this Saturday. :cool:

Hard to drive a Maserati fast when it has 3 flat tires. The O-line will continue to be the driver for this offense. If they can improve on pass protection than the offense will improve. Nico is still not seeing the full field, multiple folks on youtube have breakdown of video on Nico missing receivers that are open. Here's to hoping Nico gets his confidence back in the UF game.

It was pretty clear what happened and what are problem is and doesn't boil down to just one thing.

The OL is below average at pass blocking

Nico is not as good as he was built up to be. JH doesn't trust him either and it's evident. Nico can get better, and be a solid football player, but I don't think he will ever be on the level of a Bryce Young, Johnny Manziel, Cam Newton, etc.

We are an extremely undisciplined football team, mainly on offense. Way too many penalties, this stems from coaching.

While the DL is solid, I'm still not sure about our secondary as we have still yet to play against a really good passing QB. Bama will really show us what we have there. Heck Mertz possibly if his line gives him time. They get Tre Wilson back this week which absolutely cannot be overlooked.

Even with all these issues, just a couple of plays change the outcome against Arkansas. Clean up some more and the game isn't even in question.

I still think we can get better and be a solid team. I'm still not sure if we are a playoff caliber team. The offense will have to improve dramatically for that to happen. It all rests on JHs ability to figure out how to scheme around the OL deficiencies and put Nico in some situations that allow him to succeed. And also get some confidence. He's not confident football player right now.

GO BIG VOLS
would expect an Aston Martin DBS metaphor. have to say, old bean, im a tad disappointed.

GO BIG VOLS
With our current limitations in pass protection, to throw deep I think that Nico will have to leave the pocket and throw on the run. Hope he’s been working on that in practice with what healthy bodies we have left at wide receiver.

Reactions: kptvol1452
It was pretty clear what happened and what are problem is and doesn't boil down to just one thing.

Nico is not as good as he was built up to be. JH doesn't trust him either and it's evident. Nico can get better, and be a solid football player, but I don't think he will ever be on the level of a Bryce Young, Johnny Manziel, Cam Newton, etc.

We are an extremely undisciplined football team, mainly on offense. Way too many penalties, this stems from coaching.

While the DL is solid, I'm still not sure about our secondary as we have still yet to play against a really good passing QB. Bama will really show us what we have there. Heck Mertz possibly if his line gives him time. They get Tre Wilson back this week which absolutely cannot be overlooked.

Even with all these issues, just a couple of plays change the outcome against Arkansas. Clean up some more and the game isn't even in question.

I still think we can get better and be a solid team. I'm still not sure if we are a playoff caliber team. The offense will have to improve dramatically for that to happen. It all rests on JHs ability to figure out how to scheme around the OL deficiencies and put Nico in some situations that allow him to succeed. And also get some confidence. He's not confident football player right now.
Very clear headed analysis. The only thing I would add is as to Nico, I think he still is a potential top end player, as in a potential Top 5 quarterback. I think aspiring for anyone to be the next Cam Newton, et al., is always putting a bit much on the player.

Reactions: Clad in Big Orange

You saying that our OL is average at pass blocking is like me saying I’m a little bit fat when I’m actually obese.
I’d love for us to improve enuf to be considered average. Right now, we are not.

Very clear headed analysis. The only thing I would add is as to Nico, I think he still is a potential top end player, as in a potential Top 5 quarterback. I think aspiring for anyone to be the next Cam Newton, et al., is always putting a bit much on the player.
I just dont see it. The running out of bounds on the last play was extremely alarming, Joe Milton esque. I don't think he is as limited and incapable as Joe was at running this offense, although right now, the offense was better last year so far. Nico can improve, and I think he can be a good QB, but I don't ever see him being a legitimate contender for a Heisman trophy in his time here. I dont even think he gets close to what Hooker was. I hope he proves me wrong.

Go back and read...I said "below average"
Oops. 😬 didn’t see the word below. My bad. Yes, it is unfortunately. And I don’t understand why, do you?
How, with an offensive minded HC like Heupel, can we not have at least 4 serviceable somewhat SEC caliber tackles in his 4th season?

GO BIG VOLS
After the recent carnage I have told some of my friends that playing in the SEC this year is like running through a briar patch!! After the last week or so there doesn't seem to be a "push-over" in the conference this year. Some teams still not what we like to call "SEC quality" but still not push-overs this year.

Nico is going to be fine. There were some throws that were there that he didn't see, and there were throws to be made but the O line didn't hold up.

We need to start winning on first down to get the tempo going. That will help a lot. Great write up as always

Reactions: Hbg and London Vol
Thanks for another inciteful analysis & your words of encouragement for hurricane victims. We lived in Miami years ago & learned that Floridians depended upon rains brought by these storms, yet they respected & prepared for the severe elements. As for the Vol football team, I'm certainly not an expert; however, I've listened to commentators discuss Tennessee's "fast pace, wide splits" & other strategies....wondering if defensive coordinators have come up with remedies to stop the Vol offense. It's always going to be a game of cat-&-mouse, right? I expect Tennessee will be ready to take care of business this Saturday. :cool:
This is a really big question that you don't hear the same talking heads babbling about. I have been wondering when this type talk would start showing up. Another thing that's shown up that compounds this situation is the fact that play has slowed down so much. It gives defenses more time to think and adjust. Thus it makes us look predictable.

Agree
1. Yes OL is below average pass blocking, I wish they could had played Heard vs Oklahoma some to gradually bring him in with his penalties and whiffs we would have been better off with backups vs Arky until he gets up to 5 Star speed.
2. I think Mertz dink & Dunk style of passing is a bad recipe for the way UT schemes its Dbs. Mertz had his best game vs UT last year.
3. Nico is a year away or he might be one of those that had so many camps 7 on 7 and superior HS coaching that they Max out early and are mediocre college players, it Happens.
4. Agree with you we have some issues but we still have a really good team hoping for an upward curve, these next 3 games are crucial for the season magnified by the close loss at Arky.

GO BIG VOLS
I believe what you’re asking for is exactly what they tried to do vs Arkansas.
It was an epic failure.

They came out with a pass first plan , couldn’t block, Maserati looked more like a Mitsubishi and even when Arky played 3 DL and 2 LB didn’t even check to a run.

I don't think using a cheaper, underperforming knockoff of a Ferrari was the best example to use. I get the sentiment though.

Oops. 😬 didn’t see the word below. My bad. Yes, it is unfortunately. And I don’t understand why, do you?
How, with an offensive minded HC like Heupel, can we not have at least 4 serviceable somewhat SEC caliber tackles in his 4th season?
that's easy. Elarbee is not a good coach and supposedly he is very close with JH, so probably never gonna fix that issue unfortunately. This is why you should never hire close friends as assistants unless they are extremely good at what they do.

that's easy. Elarbee is not a good coach and supposedly he is very close with JH, so probably never gonna fix that issue unfortunately. This is why you should never hire close friends as assistants unless they are extremely good at what they do.
Why do you think he isn't a good coach? He's coached multiple award winners, sent multiple guys to the NFL, and oh yeah we left the SEC in rushing for the first time in 24 years last year.

Nico is going to be fine. There were some throws that were there that he didn't see, and there were throws to be made but the O line didn't hold up.

We need to start winning on first down to get the tempo going. That will help a lot. Great write up as always
We continue to live and die by the early downs. The second we get off schedule on 1st or 2nd then you know the drive is toast.

We are getting to halfway on the season. It is time to either open up the playbook to help mitigate our weaknesses, or start to tank for another first round draft pick (if only it worked like that in CFP LOL, unfortunately the worse you are the worse you get).

Reactions: Hbg

VN Store

Back