If you have Maserati then damn well use it

If Nico is who we think he is, the Arkansas game will change everything. Starting this week, angaisnt our 2nd biggest rival, Nico will resemble Bryce Young, Tua. Not quite Tebow and Newton, but would be nice.

Nico is going to be fine. There were some throws that were there that he didn't see, and there were throws to be made but the O line didn't hold up.

We need to start winning on first down to get the tempo going. That will help a lot. Great write up as always
Overlooked key right here. We were terrible on first and second down, so the OL had no chance against a DL pinning their ears back.
Have to have to have to do better on first and second down.

Reactions: KHVol
I don't think using a cheaper, underperforming knockoff of a Ferrari was the best example to use. I get the sentiment though.

You found me out I didn't know that. I am a Lexus driver, more comfort than speed.

I read peoples concerns about how really good Nico really is? but I don`t know if its him or the play calling but one INT on a deep slant over the middle against NC State and that part of the pitch seems to have been abandoned.

I agree with MOST of what you stated.
Part that I think you have backwards is to throw the ball to open the run game.
That's not how Heupel's offense works - it's based on run the ball successfully so the Defense sends more to the line to open the downfield mismatches.
It's the reason a lot of us criticize for the run up the middle on 1st down approach.

Until we can figure out the O Line woes and be able t win 1st down with a run play (play of more than 5 yards), it's not going to get much better.

Overlooked key right here. We were terrible on first and second down, so the OL had no chance against a DL pinning their ears back.
Have to have to have to do better on first and second down.
We need to cut down on penalties. 6 yard gain on 1st down turns into 1st and 15. 4th down punt turns into 1st and 10

You found me out I didn't know that. I am a Lexus driver, more comfort than speed.

I read peoples concerns about how really good Nico really is? but I don`t know if its him or the play calling but one INT on a deep slant over the middle against NC State and that part of the pitch seems to have been abandoned.
That was actually a dig route (10-12 yd in). Only had 2 options on the play with max protect. Nico is a young QB. He's going to make some mistakes. The problem is we have a veteran OL that's playing soft as Charmin. Defenses are taking away the deep and intermediate routes and daring us to run the ball or throw underneath. We should be able to open holes a mack truck could drive through with 5 men in the box and we're getting stalemated. And the playcalling isn't adjusting to attack underneath the coverage. They're calling plays in the passing game that are forcing something that isn't there.

What I’m wondering now is was it Golesh that made our offense lethal?
Yes. I've said this few times since last year and got flamed for it initially but people are coming around. Heupel can do the same stuff. It's his system after all. He just has to be willing to add/use new wrinkles.

Reactions: VolRage
Gosh, its been a long week since the Arkansas game trying to analyse what happened or more accurately what didn’t happen. Whilst I was saying for some while the Razorbacks were a dangerous opponent and but for the fact that had managed to self-destruct a couple of times otherwise they would have been 5-0, this was no gimme. But it was the nature of the loss or more bluntly the lack of Offense that shocked so many of us.

Now to correct this, a number of esteemed writers has suggested that the Vols should revert to playing two Tight Ends and run a conservative game plan. Now I understand the extra protection this would give Nico Iamaleava, but after considering it carefully I believe the opposite should happen.

Josh Heupel’s Offenses are perennially in the top 20 in the country because of its explosiveness, because of its warped speed, because of its ability to get up by two touchdowns in a blink of an eye thus forcing its opponents to become one dimensional by playing from behind. It wasn’t because it was successful for so many years by stacking the box, grinding out the game by clock management and winning 12-6.

I have been told for two years we have a generational Quarterback with elite skills, and I still believe this to be true. In short, we have “bought” a Maserati not a Mitsubishi Mirage. Now a Maserati is built to drive fast, it is built to take your breath away, you need to trust the car by entering corners at speed trusting that it will deliver, you need to let the damn thing do what it actually can, things that many other cars can`t, otherwise why buy a Maserati.

So let it rip tomorrow Iamaleava, take some deep shots even if they are contested, despite being banged up there is still plenty of talent in the Wide Receiver unit (maybe its Mike Matthews turn to introduce himself the country), make Florida adjust by dropping more back into coverage, let them worry and as we know then the running game will open up and the QB pressures will even dissipate. Quite frankly take the Gators behind the woodshed. Repay some of those recent memories of Florida (4th and 26, 62 yard bomb on the last play, Palardy wide right, Kyle Trask comes off the bench, one year they didn’t have a QB and we still lost 10-9) but most importantly start erasing the bitter taste of last Saturday.as there is still so much to aim for this season if only we trust the car we have.

Finally, my heart goes out to all Floridians after Helene and Milton we have now idea in England what a Hurricane is like. Sometimes we need to be reminded football is only a game.

GO BIG VOLS
Don't hitch your thoroughbred to a plow.

Reactions: JRich
Florida will run a three down lineman defense and blitz the ***t out of Nico, I don't think he will have time to throw deep.

Being able to run the ball is key to victory this weekend for UT. UF is not strong against the run.

Florida will run a three down lineman defense and blitz the ***t out of Nico, I don't think he will have time to throw deep.

Being able to run the ball is key to victory this weekend for UT. UF is not strong against the run.
Sampson purposely whiffs in pass protection and Nico flips him the ball. Our TE makes a block on the edge, and Sampson gets to the second level and maybe the third. Strike up the band!

agree, send Ethan Davis to that part of the field!

VN Store

Back