If you're going to do it, do it right (The National Anthem)

Key-related range issues? Elaborate on that please. Are you referring to issues as they relate to a tessitura?

Yep. There's just not that many comfortable keys to have it in, especially if you're being accompanied by an ensemble. Back when George Bitzas was still singing the anthem at football games, we occasionally had to swap out arrangements based on what his voice would allow him to do some days.

Yep. There's just not that many comfortable keys to have it in, especially if you're being accompanied by an ensemble. Back when George Bitzas was still singing the anthem at football games, we occasionally had to swap out arrangements based on what his voice would allow him to do some days.
Honest question, is it really that limiting? Without humming the whole thing (good point on length), I think the range is only a major 13th ("do" to a "la" in the octave above). I would not think that range couldn't be tailored to anyone's tessitura with ease, but I am not nearly as versed on this issue as I am with theory in general.

Edit: whipped out my guitar and found out it's actually only a 12th.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back