I'll have another

jackson.gif

If he broke a leg they'd lose the horse and the millions in stud fees for a few years. In five to six years we should know if he can produce earners consistently. The right thing was done

He wouldn't have broken his leg due to a tendon. But he wouldn't have won and may not have looked good at all. Running sore causes horses to look really bad.

Smart move for the horse and smart business move. I like Union Rags over him anyway. But wish he'd have stayed healthy. The air is sucked out of this place.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Was very disappointed to hear this. Pay almost no attention to horse racing, but who doesn't want to see a triple crown winner? Tv ratings will drop way down now.

Oh cool, thoroughbred racing is now an NCAA sport! Didn't think I'd live to see the day.

The trainer is under investigation for widespread blood doping of his horses.

Repetitive use injury.

I used to work for a veterinarian, and he always said, "God made horses to keep vets in business." They are the most fragile, ridiculously-designed critters on the face of the earth, especially thoroughbreds.

Anyone who's had tendinitis knows how painful it is, and how hard it is to get rid of.

He's retired to stud now. The humans might not be happy, but he will surely be. :)

Repetitive use injury.

I used to work for a veterinarian, and he always said, "God made horses to keep vets in business." They are the most fragile, ridiculously-designed critters on the face of the earth, especially thoroughbreds.

Anyone who's had tendinitis knows how painful it is, and how hard it is to get rid of.

He's retired to stud now. The humans might not be happy, but he will surely be. :)

I no more believe the horse is injured as I am that the Easter bunny is real. The horse IMO was doped until he got to the Belmont. I have no doubt if the horses had not been kept in the test barn all week he'd have ran. I'm now of the opinion the NTRHA should require the same at all 3 Triple crown races.

I no more believe the horse is injured as I am that the Easter bunny is real. The horse IMO was doped until he got to the Belmont. I have no doubt if the horses had not been kept in the test barn all week he'd have ran. I'm now of the opinion the NTRHA should require the same at all 3 Triple crown races.

Interesting. So why dont they require it for the Derby?

But Doug O’Neill is far from the only trainer in Saturday’s Belmont Stakes with a history of improperly medicated horses. The Associated Press reviewed the histories of all 11 trainers with horses in the race and found that 10 had at least one violation of medication regulations set by state racing boards.
O’Neill has been under the most scrutiny because his colt, I’ll Have Another, won the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes and is the 4-5 favorite to add the Belmont and complete the first Triple Crown in 34 years.
“We had the black cloud before he won the Derby,” D. Wayne Lukas, the elder statesman among trainers, said of horse racing’s drug problems. “Now it’s just gotten darker.”
Lukas, who will run 20-1 Optimizer in the Belmont, didn’t mention his own record. He has had almost as many violations as O’Neill, though spanning a longer career with a larger stable and including none in the last 13 years.
That’s something Penny Chenery, the doyenne of the sport and owner of the great Triple Crown champion Secretariat, apparently didn’t realize when she told The Atlantic magazine that I’ll Have Another’s owner, J. Paul Reddam,”should be embarrassed that the trainer he has chosen does not have a clean record.”

Last edited:

$ and politics. There's a lot of $ and egos in horse racing. Multimillionaires and billionaires don't like to be told what to do. And unlike other sports they have more sway than say NFL or NBA or MLB.
I wish they would put all horses under lock down for all 3 triple crown races.

That article left out that not all medication "violations" are performance enhancing in nature. Some meds are given and have a minimum withdrawal time for safety reasons and due to the nature of the sport and management overlaps happen. And in those instances there's absolutely no advantage to the medicated horse.

VN Store

Back